I'm a professional programmer in another industry
29%

Total votes: 146

GFX47
Dev
Dev

What kind of player are you?

Post#1 » 21 Nov 2016, 16:32

I'm curious to know the proportion between programmers and non programmers among Gladiabots players.
If you have 2 clicks to spare, please vote for your category.
Thanks! ;)

PS: please only vote if you played the game

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Re: What kind of player are you?

Post#2 » 21 Nov 2016, 16:49

Uh... I'm still in school. I've learnt QBASIC, Small Basic and HTML 5 Coding. Tried Unity once. Couldn't make the tanks move. So which category should I apply to?
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat

My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

HDeffo
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#3 » 21 Nov 2016, 16:53

Part of my job includes programming PLC and rarely actual languages (even though PLC is my job I don't consider it much of a language) so I guess I count that as programming in another industry :lol:

NullPointer
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#4 » 21 Nov 2016, 17:01

What if I fit into 2 categories? :?

Johnbob
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#5 » 21 Nov 2016, 17:27

First program in 'Pascal' language around 1997 :-)

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#6 » 21 Nov 2016, 19:13

Why only programming games? I programmed simulators, mod of emule and so on, but those are no games :(

edit: moreover since my industry is system administration at the moment, I know that I'm using turing complete languages but I do not write often complicated programs, I do more complicated stuff in my free time.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

ntk
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#7 » 21 Nov 2016, 21:27

I program since 1984
Assembler 6502/8086 compiler/disassembler for hobby
basic, c, fortran, pascal, prolog for study
visual basic 6, visual studio, Android studio and other device like windows ce, php and other a forgot.

It's not my primary work

NullPointer
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#8 » 21 Nov 2016, 21:34

ntk wrote:I program since 1984
Assembler 6502/8086 compiler/disassembler for hobby
basic, c, fortran, pascal, prolog for study
visual basic 6, visual studio, Android studio and other device like windows ce, php and other a forgot.

It's not my primary work

That's pretty cool. Now it's clear why our matches are so tough.

I can't believe we just had a draw at Meeting Point while we had the same ELO rating at the same time. :o

NullPointer
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#9 » 21 Nov 2016, 21:46

I develop professionally for about 7 years.

Lately, most of what I do involves Machine Learning, Big Data, Recommendation Engines and integration between different enterprise platforms.

I had some free time to develop 2 games lately (you'll see I'm a huge fan of Super Hexagon):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kainano.polygonrunlite
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kainano.polygonrun2

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#10 » 21 Nov 2016, 22:23

NullPointer wrote:I develop professionally for about 7 years.

Lately, most of what I do involves Machine Learning, Big Data, Recommendation Engines and integration between different enterprise platforms.

I had some free time to develop 2 games lately (you'll see I'm a huge fan of Super Hexagon):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kainano.polygonrunlite
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kainano.polygonrun2

Cool things! In my dreams I will work on one of my machine learning problems because I'm sick of partial recommendations , especially for books, articles, videos and so on. The problem is to create the dataset of crowdsourced tastes since I do not work in any big company. (or and also be delusional enough that teams of brilliant people working on recommendation engines for some reasons do not have explored the ideas that I have)

So, as I asked hdeffo, would be interesting also to see some repositories from you :)
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

NullPointer
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#11 » 21 Nov 2016, 22:43

Sounds good, to generate content-based recommendations using the text of books, articles and subtitles of movies, try using Logistic Regression mixed with popularity, works great and is very cheap.

Alternating Least Squares is my favourite though, but it's very expensive for private use. I use clusters of ~100 machines everyday and the bill is quite high for the company.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#12 » 21 Nov 2016, 23:56

NullPointer wrote:Sounds good, to generate content-based recommendations using the text of books, articles and subtitles of movies, try using Logistic Regression mixed with popularity, works great and is very cheap.

Alternating Least Squares is my favourite though, but it's very expensive for private use. I use clusters of ~100 machines everyday and the bill is quite high for the company.

Thanks for sharing!
Anyway my idea works only when one has a "base of likes", not really trying to analyze the content of something. The point is: I trust the users (human brains) that they can analyze the content way better than any AI, heuristics or classifier, what I can do is to identify patterns in the likes that they leave. Through those patterns I can produce recommendations.

Since the patterns would not change so quickly (unless the user base grows a lot), it is not even needed to compute them often, but maybe monthly.

My problem is that I do not have any real dataset for the likes, I have to build them on my own but then I may screw the model creating its own reality.

NullPointer
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#13 » 22 Nov 2016, 00:16

This is called collaborative filtering, which is the best imo too. That's why I recommended Alternating Least Squares, it's exactly for that. If you have enough machines to train the data, the recommendations are amazing.

Chunkymonkey
Automaton
Automaton

Post#14 » 22 Nov 2016, 00:35

I'm not a professional programmer. I learnt how to program in Basic, Visual Basic, C, C++ at various times in my education but I never actually programmed anything more advanced than very basic batch files.

MGBlitz81
Automaton
Automaton

Post#15 » 22 Nov 2016, 00:37

I'm not a programmer.

However I was introduced to logic gates and Boolean logic through a minecraft clone called Survivalcraft. The electrical elements in Survivalcraft made Minecrafts redstone look like a gimmick and I got pretty good at utilising the electrics in that game. Using that experience, I have absolutely no issues programming the bots to do whatever I need them to do.

ConsciouS-0nE
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#16 » 22 Nov 2016, 07:26

Part from deepmind
Falls into the last categ right?
Im not the best player, but atleast im something.I'm 8
Science is madness! 3:)

Grizzly
Script
Script

Post#17 » 23 Nov 2016, 06:21

Never programed a thing. And I find Gladiabots extremely entertaining.

Christian
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#18 » 25 Nov 2016, 23:32

Software engineering and business integration using IBM Websphere Process and Application Server. BPEL, Mediation Flows and J2EE. Also some experiences in C, C++, PL/SQL. And since recently Gladiabots. :lol:

The Eye
Hello World
Hello World

Post#19 » 28 Nov 2016, 00:16

Haha, I'm still in school. I do a bit of coding in my free time, but I have taken simple high school classes for Java and Visual Basic. I mostly do Khan Academy (Javascript/Processing JS) and MIT App Inventor 2 (though I don't consider it a language).

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#20 » 28 Nov 2016, 08:18

App inventor (did not know it, TIL) seems similar to scratch, so at the end it is a programming language.

Return to “General Discussions”