Playing vs a friend?

TheKidPunisher
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Playing vs a friend?

Post#1 » 20 Mar 2017, 23:52

Hi guys!

Can we play versus a friend?
I mean that if it's possible to send invitation for a versus to someone else?

Because actually the only way is to send a picture of your AI. Then your friend need to re-create it. And by the way he can analyse the AI and create a counter more easily.

If it's not already possible it would be great to have this possibility in the future.

I havent play a long time but your game is awesome (i got just a negative point: match versus other player who has unlocked more thing than you too much unfair for me)

PS: sorry for my english, as a good french guy i'm really bad for speak/write in no-native language (thanks google trad)

harthag
Automaton
Automaton

Re: Playing vs a friend?

Post#2 » 21 Mar 2017, 00:25

This isn't possible, yet, but is planned for a future update:

https://trello.com/b/qHp84eWA/gladiabots-public-roadmap

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#3 » 21 Mar 2017, 08:36

TheKidPunisher wrote:I havent play a long time but your game is awesome (i got just a negative point: match versus other player who has unlocked more thing than you too much unfair for me)

The unlocking was made to let people discover parts slowly otherwise they felt overwhelmed. It is quite fast now compared to some weeks ago.

For playing vs a friend you have to wait for private matches.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

TheKidPunisher
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#4 » 22 Mar 2017, 00:22

Tanks for your reply guys.

@pier4r:
The problem is that you lose matches just cause you dont have the same level and the unique thing to gain level is to play matches.
So you just run over defeat and defeat until you unlock all contain of the application...

I thinl it would be better to increased the PvE campaign and unlocked all the robots and AI possibilities on the campaign.

Because actually i dont want to do more matches cause i'm pretty sure to lose cause others player have unlocked all and not me.

But if i dont play i will not unlock new thing.. it's a bad spiral...

Wozza
Script
Script

Post#5 » 22 Mar 2017, 01:20

I hope I haven't posted about this before and just forgotten but I agree that playing against players with more unlocks than you is one of the weaker parts of the new player experience.

A player can deal with it by pretty much just ignoring loses against teams with snipers and continuing to spam matches (which is pretty much what I did) but the last couple of levels do take quite a lot of matches in order to level up.

I recognize that it is probably necessary to have matches between different level players in order to be sure there are enough matches available. I would suggest looking at have matchmaking prioritize making matches with same level opponents first.

I would also suggest that some of the negative feeling around matching with a higher level player could be smoothed out with some changes to xp rewards and the end of match screen. For matches against higher level players have the end of match screen show a bonus xp line that gives the player 50% of the xp they would have got for a win if they lose to a higher level player and an extra 50% (so 150% total) if they beat a higher level player. Also have help button next to the xp bonus that leads to some form of small help panel that gives the player some reassuring info about what the xp bonus is, why it is necessary to have them match against higher levels and that soon they will have unlocked higher levels and have all options available.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#6 » 22 Mar 2017, 03:23

About the unfairness of playing against higher xp levels. I understand.

Before was even worse. One got 0, zero points with a defeat, 0 - zero - with a draw, and the number of points for each level was like the double of the current level. Level 5 was 100k, level 6 150k, level 7 250k and there were way more complaints.

I already asked to limit the matchmaking to only 2 levels of difference. Someone else asked to limit to only one level of difference. Sure, there will be less matches to play in this way.

Another possibility is to promote the player, when the player joins a new league for the first time, to the next level of xp, regardless of his current xp level. This may let people collect points faster in a lower league to then be promoted and unlock the last levels, but losing on purpose is boring, so won't be an issue. Otherwise people would do it already to win faster in leagues that they can dominate.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

TheKidPunisher
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#7 » 22 Mar 2017, 06:40

Wozza wrote:A player can deal with it by pretty much just ignoring loses against teams with snipers and continuing to spam matches (which is pretty much what I did) but the last couple of levels do take quite a lot of matches in order to level up.

Nope, i will be sure that a lot of player wont deal with that cause "it's just destroying their stats"
(I'm a little bit like that) and then just leave the application (i will not cause i know that the application is still in evolution).
I will continue to do some maches (cause it's actually the only way to test all the possibilities of the application) but not sure i will do it with fun...

pier4r wrote:The unlocking was made to let people discover parts slowly otherwise they felt overwhelmed

Why, as i said, can't we increase the number of levels of the campaign and unlock all features in the campaign?
Like that, when you think you are out-level/out-unlock, you just have to continue the campaign and do not have to play matches that you are sure to lose (not necessarily doing it on purpose).

This will, as you write, permit to new players to discover parts slowly. (not sure young people and poeple who never touch a little logic or programation will download this application)

I have a new question:
Can the developer, take information on his game? i mean, do a study on matches (to see how many the difference of level is impacting the game (% of win of the bigger level, and if possible if he uses unlocked features that his opponent havent unlock), what is the % of win of each type of robot (which need to be unlocked), ...)

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#8 » 22 Mar 2017, 07:01

TheKidPunisher wrote:...

1) All Assault Teams can beat Sniper Teams.
2) I don't care much about my Victory Ratio. :roll:
3) Young people do download the game. I'm playing, right?
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat

My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#9 » 22 Mar 2017, 08:48

The kid punisher

What you write has sense and maybe you can open a request thread if gfx do not read this post.

Believe me that I witnessed a lot of players dropping the game once being confronted with a lot of commands at the start. I would say that having a matchmaking limiting matches between too different levels would be a better solution.

On the part of the stats, this maybe should be done with a popup from the start of the game. Forget them until you are good. Until you are good , even with all unlocked, there are plenty of people out of there that will just obliterate you. Wozza for example.

In this game one learns to be persistent and go through the defeats. It is not a game for fragile egos.
Last edited by pier4r on 22 Mar 2017, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

TheKidPunisher
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#10 » 22 Mar 2017, 15:18

Kanishka wrote:

1)i dont care about robots i play full assault. The problem is that i havent all the possibilities for create AI

2)I do

3)even if i'm not that old, i recognize that the new generation with hi-tech. But i realize that a lot of them dont care how it works, and for that game you need that mindkind. It's cool if you have it.

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#11 » 22 Mar 2017, 15:25

TheKidPunisher wrote:
Kanishka wrote:

1)i dont care about robots i play full assault. The problem is that i havent all the possibilities for create AI

2)I do

3)even if i'm not that old, i recognize that the new generation with hi-tech. But i realize that a lot of them dont care how it works, and for that game you need that mindkind. It's cool if you have it.

1) Yeah the level system can restrictive.
2) You should.
3) ii. How old are you?
i. Do you know how old I am?

TheKidPunisher
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#12 » 22 Mar 2017, 19:53

I am 23 and i dont know your age. But by young people i was talking about 12yo.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#13 » 22 Mar 2017, 20:04

He is 13.

TheKidPunisher
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#14 » 23 Mar 2017, 01:55

Ok he is 13. I dont know where he lives but here in France i'm pretty sure that 13yo children never heard about programing. Or maybe if they got parents who worked as programers... but i think if they are patient the game is quite well-construct and easy to learn for neophyte.

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#15 » 23 Mar 2017, 04:37

:lol: I'm from India. My parents are not programmers. I love programming, and have learnt MS Logo, QBasic / QB64, Small Basic, and HTML5 in school. I liked QBasic so much that I went ahead and learnt commands that were not in syllabus. Some of those commands were Randomize Timer and Select Case.

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#16 » 25 Mar 2017, 22:02

I eventually read ALL the threads (OK maybe not all the unavoidable tournaments ^^) and I hear you.

I have the plan to replace solo missions in practice mode by matches against players of the same level.
It won't be linked to the league system, so no impact on your league points and ranking.
Matches will also be "retryable", like solo missions right now.
When you win a practice match, you earn XP like in career.

PS: please open a new thread when subject is drifting from the original post

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#17 » 25 Mar 2017, 23:43

GFX47 wrote:I eventually read ALL the threads (OK maybe not all the unavoidable tournaments ^^) and I hear you.

I guess you can safely read the subforums requests, questions, bug reports, updates, manual and be able to collect almost all discussions that may be interesting for you. General discussion and off topic are more... open while strategies is between us players.

Return to “Questions”