New player points/level system

User avatar
GFX47
Dev
Dev
Posts: 2914

New player points/level system

Post#1 » 17 Jan 2017, 15:40

Alpha 7 new conditions and filters sure are a lot to take for a new comers.
It's now time for me to implement a more appropriate unlock system (and separate player progress from the existing league system).

So here's the idea:

Each time you win (or draw against a higher ranked player) a multiplayer match, you earn some points that are added to your multiplayer score/elo rating.

Lets create a new value called "player points" accumulating the earned points in multiplayer (not the lost ones).
Add a "player level" that gets incremented every time you reach a certain point amount (increasing amount on each level, you know the drill).

Each level unlocks a new feature amongst:
  • Special bot classes
  • Special actions like (tagging)
  • Special AI conditions and filters (tags, current action)
  • Solo missions (?)

You can have an idea of how much points you already by checking your player stats page (Global stats > Total earned points).

It's not THAT much work for a first iteration so I'm thinking about including it in 7.6.

User avatar
Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet
Posts: 1421
Contact:

Re: New player points/level system

Post#2 » 17 Jan 2017, 15:44

+1
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat


My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

User avatar
Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet
Posts: 1421
Contact:

Re: New player points/level system

Post#3 » 17 Jan 2017, 15:47

Taking into account all my profiles to date... I have 6000+ points.
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat


My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

HDeffo
Neural Network
Neural Network
Posts: 212

Re: New player points/level system

Post#4 » 17 Jan 2017, 16:07

+1 as well :D a level system seems like a perfectly valid approach

Trigary
Algorithm
Algorithm
Posts: 63

Re: New player points/level system

Post#5 » 17 Jan 2017, 16:09

I find it a good idea (I suggested this as well).
I don't see a reason why solo missions should be locked away from players, or do you want it so players are forced to complete the missions in a given order? But that doesn't make sense, since you only get points in multiplayer and I personally play all singleplayer missions before playing a single multiplayer match.
This will make testing new features harder, since some players use test accounts to test the non-release versions, and if they need to play a lot of multiplayer matches before they can test the new stuff... You get the point :) (If you know a version isn't a release version, enable a console command which gives you X amount of points?)

User avatar
NullPointer
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity
Posts: 539

Re: New player points/level system

Post#6 » 17 Jan 2017, 16:11

It's not clear how this and leagues will work together.

User avatar
GFX47
Dev
Dev
Posts: 2914

Re: New player points/level system

Post#7 » 17 Jan 2017, 16:12

Trigary wrote:I don't see a reason why solo missions should be locked away from players, or do you want it so players are forced to complete the missions in a given order? But that doesn't make sense, since you only get points in multiplayer and I personally play all singleplayer missions before playing a single multiplayer match.


Basically yes but it may indeed be frustrating, just an idea.

Trigary wrote:This will make testing new features harder, since some players use test accounts to test the non-release versions, and if they need to play a lot of multiplayer matches before they can test the new stuff... You get the point :) (If you know a version isn't a release version, enable a console command which gives you X amount of points?)


Good point.
We'll use test accounts for unreleased versions.
Those test accounts won't appear in leaderboards.

User avatar
GFX47
Dev
Dev
Posts: 2914

Re: New player points/level system

Post#8 » 17 Jan 2017, 16:13

NullPointer wrote:It's not clear how this and leagues will work together.


They will be 2 seperated systems.
You could be level 1 and in league 4 if you're good enough.
Could be interesting to have stats about average player level by league by the way.

User avatar
NullPointer
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity
Posts: 539

Re: New player points/level system

Post#9 » 17 Jan 2017, 16:18

Got it, but leagues won't unlock anything then, right?

I like this idea overall and it seems to work for games like Clash Royale, where you play against weaker and stronger opponents all the time.

User avatar
GFX47
Dev
Dev
Posts: 2914

Re: New player points/level system

Post#10 » 17 Jan 2017, 16:20

NullPointer wrote:Got it, but leagues won't unlock anything then, right?


That's it.
So no more demotion/re-lock issues.

User avatar
Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet
Posts: 1421
Contact:

Re: New player points/level system

Post#11 » 17 Jan 2017, 16:24

Yay!
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat


My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

ConsciouS-0nE
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity
Posts: 740

Re: New player points/level system

Post#12 » 17 Jan 2017, 16:29

Level system,
Image

But the approach.....
Im not the best player, but atleast im something.I'm 8
Science is madness! 3:)

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet
Posts: 3390

Re: New player points/level system

Post#13 » 17 Jan 2017, 16:51

But to get faster XP then it is better to lose and win rather than just winning due to how elo works. Indeed the Stat page already shows nullpointer with few points.

It is not bad, because gives the ones that struggle an advantage, but maybe could be refined a bit. Like assigning a minimum gain for victories like 5 points even when a victory counts as 3 or less.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

User avatar
GFX47
Dev
Dev
Posts: 2914

Re: New player points/level system

Post#14 » 17 Jan 2017, 16:53

pier4r wrote:It is not bad, because gives the ones that struggle an advantage, but maybe could be refined a bit. Like assigning a minimum gain for victories like 5 points even when a victory counts as 3 or less.


Let's iterate on it after 7.6.

User avatar
GFX47
Dev
Dev
Posts: 2914

Re: New player points/level system

Post#15 » 17 Jan 2017, 16:53

I also added a new column in league stats.

User avatar
NullPointer
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity
Posts: 539

Re: New player points/level system

Post#16 » 17 Jan 2017, 17:01

pier4r wrote:But to get faster XP then it is better to lose and win rather than just winning due to how elo works. Indeed the Stat page already shows nullpointer with few points.


Very good point. What will be the formula to calculate the XP earned after each match?

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet
Posts: 3390

Re: New player points/level system

Post#17 » 17 Jan 2017, 17:05

Anyway the idea of ranks, very common in long term games, is welcomed. Hopefully without cap limits (dunno ranks in modern combat are up to 120,in shadow gun dead zone are up to 50).

Another idea that could be introduced, borrowed from other games, is the skill of the bot. Like in world of tanks the crew of the vehicle gets better while playing, the same could happen to the bots. Like the more they play the more accurate they are (but a little more, for example up to +2% accuracy).

Still from world of tanks one could introduce point expenses to repair bots after a match and so on.

Let's say that there are some successful games that can offer nice ideas.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

User avatar
NullPointer
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity
Posts: 539

Re: New player points/level system

Post#18 » 17 Jan 2017, 17:10

Maybe the same ELO formula could be used to calculate XP, except that you don't ever lose points. So if I win against Blitz I should get a lot of points because he has 6x more XP.

And this doesn't affect in any way how the score is calculated.

User avatar
GFX47
Dev
Dev
Posts: 2914

Re: New player points/level system

Post#19 » 17 Jan 2017, 17:16

GFX47 wrote:Each time you win (or draw against a higher ranked player) a multiplayer match, you earn some points that are added to your multiplayer score/elo rating.

Lets create a new value called "player points" accumulating the earned points in multiplayer (not the lost ones).


So if you have victory giving your elo rating +10 points, your player points will get +10 points.

User avatar
NullPointer
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity
Posts: 539

Re: New player points/level system

Post#20 » 17 Jan 2017, 17:21

Like pier4r said, this encourages losing matches to unlock new things quicker.

Return to “Devlog”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests