Tip: Plan your escape.

HBomb
Algorithm
Algorithm

Tip: Plan your escape.

Post#1 » 25 Dec 2016, 14:02

With the addition of subroutines, I'd like to offer a little optimisation for a subroutine I recommend: running away.

When you retreat, you could simply "run from nearest enemy" until you feel safe. But what if your only enemy in long range is a shotgun? Or the assault that you're scared of in melee is on low health, low shield and retreating themselves? Don't give up too much territory unnecessarily.

My recommendation is this: run from certain enemies at certain ranges in order.
For example, run from anyone in short, machine gun in med, then anyone in med, then sniper in long, then anyone not shotgun in long.

Just an idea :)

Chunkymonkey
Automaton
Automaton

Re: Tip: Plan your escape.

Post#2 » 25 Dec 2016, 14:18

HBomb wrote:With the addition of subroutines, I'd like to offer a little optimisation for a subroutine I recommend: running away.

When you retreat, you could simply "run from nearest enemy" until you feel safe. But what if your only enemy in long range is a shotgun? Or the assault that you're scared of in melee is on low health, low shield and retreating themselves? Don't give up too much territory unnecessarily.

My recommendation is this: run from certain enemies at certain ranges in order.
For example, run from anyone in short, machine gun in med, then anyone in med, then sniper in long, then anyone not shotgun in long.

Just an idea :)

+1 Was already doing something like this

Trigary
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#3 » 25 Dec 2016, 15:04

But running away from short range enemies is probably not a good idea in most cases :)

Hamster
Script
Script

Post#4 » 25 Dec 2016, 15:57

If I could figure out how I could retreat my dudes without getting clusterfucked I'd be happy.

HBomb
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#5 » 25 Dec 2016, 17:25

Hamster wrote:If I could figure out how I could retreat my dudes without getting clusterfucked I'd be happy.

If they're clusterfucked it's too late. Control the battle before you get to that stage by pushing more, or using a team target to focus on a weak enemy. Also, if you have any grouping nodes, loosen them (say, group in med range rather than short)

Hamster
Script
Script

Post#6 » 25 Dec 2016, 17:32

HBomb wrote:
Hamster wrote:If I could figure out how I could retreat my dudes without getting clusterfucked I'd be happy.

If they're clusterfucked it's too late. Control the battle before you get to that stage by pushing more, or using a team target to focus on a weak enemy. Also, if you have any grouping nodes, loosen them (say, group in med range rather than short)

My units get clusterfucked because my "Push" sub routine only likes to push when a friendly is at close range with high shields.

The downside is that they trip over each other on the retreat. On the upside, I dont have a kamikaze shotgunner :)

HBomb
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#7 » 25 Dec 2016, 18:21

Hamster wrote:
HBomb wrote:

My units get clusterfucked because my "Push" sub routine only likes to push when a friendly is at close range with high shields.

The downside is that they trip over each other on the retreat. On the upside, I dont have a kamikaze shotgunner :)

Hey, kamikaze shotgunners are the best. One in ten games they solo carry by assassinating weaker opponents with surprise pushes. Muhahah!

...ignore the other 9 where they get popped by snipers...

Night Fury ^^
Script
Script

Post#8 » 27 Dec 2016, 17:26

I have already used this since alpha 4
If Shield < 25%
+ If Health < 75%
--- Attack Enemy closest Short-Medium range with both Shield and Health < 25%
--- Flee from Enemy closest Short-Mid-Long
+ Flee from Sniper Long
It seems to work well ^^

HBomb
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#9 » 27 Dec 2016, 19:23

Night Fury ^^ wrote:I have already used this since alpha 4

+ Flee from Sniper Long

I call BS

Chunkymonkey
Automaton
Automaton

Post#10 » 28 Dec 2016, 05:40

HBomb wrote:
Night Fury ^^ wrote:I have already used this since alpha 4

+ Flee from Sniper Long

I call BS

:lol:

Night Fury ^^
Script
Script

Post#11 » 28 Dec 2016, 07:20

Oh lol

J7Luke
Script
Script

Post#12 » 30 Dec 2016, 22:31

Thanks for this tip! This dramatically improved my AI. I did not consider the idea of not retreating when their are no enemies in short/medium range with more than 25% shield.

Return to “Strategies”