Behavior of bots at very small distances

TomCat
Script
Script

Behavior of bots at very small distances

Post#1 » 28 Mar 2018, 07:09

Hi. I would appreciate adding a new range zone. That would be the smallest one and I would name it "touch range". I think that the name is self explaining. It should be activated when the bot would start pushing another one for example. It would be very useful in many cases and I think real bots would certainly have this type of sensor.

Or - at least - I would like to suggest change behavior of "move to" command. For example if the bot is moving to the resource and the bot reaches the resource, so he is standing over the resource and not moving anymore, the program should go to the right and not be stucked at the command "move to" - because there is no moving in fact. The command could be activated again when somebody pushed out the bot from position. But at the moment when the bot is standing and not even trying to move, the command "move to" should be leaved. I think this would make it more sense.
My God, it's full of stars!

Hairy Phil
Automaton
Automaton

Re: Behavior of bots at very small distances

Post#2 » 31 Mar 2018, 22:30

Solution: If not in short range of resource, move to resource.

MGBlitz81
Automaton
Automaton

Post#3 » 01 Apr 2018, 15:13

He won't be stuck because you should have a catch resource node in front of the move to resource node. In fact, you can use only the catch closest resource node and he will move to the nearest resource AND catch it. THEN in front of that node, you should have a score resource at closest ally base node so he isn't stuck holding a resource doing nothing. I can go on and on...

The point is that you are supposed to program the bots to do what you want them to do. If one of your guys is stuck on top of a resource doing nothing, then there is a problem with your logic in your program and you need to figure out what you need to add or change to fix the problem.

Hairy Phil
Automaton
Automaton

Post#4 » 01 Apr 2018, 15:38

TomCat is talking about guarding resources, not capturing them. He is correct that when a bot arrives at a resource, it will continue trying to move towards it.

I think touching range is unnecessary, short range is sufficient.

MGBlitz81
Automaton
Automaton

Post#5 » 01 Apr 2018, 19:17

Oh... Well my logic still works and your post answers the question.

But that would be something huh, close quarters combat with melee attacks. I like the sound of that.

mcompany
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#6 » 02 Apr 2018, 18:31

Hairy Phil wrote:Solution: If not in short range of resource, move to resource.

MGBlitz81 wrote:The point is that you are supposed to program the bots to do what you want them to do. If one of your guys is stuck on top of a resource doing nothing, then there is a problem with your logic in your program and you need to figure out what you need to add or change to fix the problem.

Both of you are missing the point. There are definitely useful situations to know when things are touching (running into an ally when retreating, trying to beat an enemy to their base, knowing when you are at the wall, etc). And in some of those situations, short range is well far from what is wanted

As far as this request goes
mcompany wrote:If I had a nickel for how many suggestions has been said before a million times...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=183

MGBlitz81
Automaton
Automaton

Post#7 » 02 Apr 2018, 19:40

I suppose when you put it like that, it makes sense.

Then I say +1 to this idea, so long as it doesn't interfere with any other mechanics currently in the game. But then I want melee attacks!

G.M. [rogueleader]
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#8 » 03 Apr 2018, 21:08

+1

G.M. [rogueleader]
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#9 » 03 Apr 2018, 21:30

Actually, I think melee attacks would be very useful. If the amount of damage from a melee attack is significant enough, it would cause a change in the core requirements of a good Ai. It would start experimentation of defense sytems, while allowing an opportunity to capitalize on it. It would be hard (or at least harder) to land a shot on the approaching melee troop, so to take it down you must use a machine gun (with lots of health) to take melee hits causing the melee troop to stop, making it vulnerable. You can capitalize by using the hole left from the defeated attacking melee bot to split the remaining group. On the other hand, which keeps this balanced, the attack systems would be allowed to capitalize as well by having the distraction of a melee target (presenting a greater potential threat), allowing them to move to closer range to give cover for the melee troop, as well as to skrew with the enemy targeting systems. Because there is no attacking while moving, the enemies would not be able to attack the melee troop while feeing, so, except for the machine gun, they would only be able to return fire at the ally troops.

TomCat
Script
Script

Post#10 » 04 Apr 2018, 12:53

Hairy Phil wrote:TomCat is talking about guarding resources, not capturing them. He is correct that when a bot arrives at a resource, it will continue trying to move towards it.

I think touching range is unnecessary, short range is sufficient.

Im mainly talking about that nonsense which I dont understand - how is possible, that the CPU of the bot "is thinking" that the bot is moving when the leg motors are all off?
I understand it if bot is at the corner and fleeing. In this situation the bot's position is not changing, but the bot is trying to move and his legs are moving - so this make sense to me. But if bot executing command "move forward resource" and reaches the resource, than he stands over it and not even try to move (his legs are still) - so this doesn't make sense. IMHO the command should be evaluated as done and the program should go to the next command.
My God, it's full of stars!

Return to “Feature Requests”