this one gfx?

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Re: this one gfx?

Post#21 » 15 Jun 2017, 16:00

One problem with small numbers is the fact that do not scale properly (the ratio, unless one uses decimals). And one has a phone/computer nevertheless some additions should not be a problem.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Captain Spock (Castlevania)
Automaton
Automaton

Post#22 » 15 Jun 2017, 17:07

pier4r wrote:One problem with small numbers is the fact that do not scale properly (the ratio, unless one uses decimals). And one has a phone/computer nevertheless some additions should not be a problem.

It is not about the calculation from players, but the budget setting for maps. Take your proposal as an example: If SYP is 8200, how many possible configurations? How many of them are rational by using up the budget?

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#23 » 15 Jun 2017, 17:17

Dunno, we will have to see.

One valuable thing that this game teaches is "set not so bad start conditions, let the system play, collect data, fix, try again and so on" .

Moreover if there is variety (if there will be any), it is nothing bad otherwise why should we have it in the first place?
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

I Robot
Hello World
Hello World

Post#24 » 16 Jun 2017, 15:45

GFX47 wrote:Here's an example:
A map has 5 slots where you can place your bots.
The map has a 4 points budget.
Assault = 1 point, specials = 2 points
You can use 4 assaults or 2 assaults and 1 MG or 1 MG and 1 sniper, etc and place them wherever you want on the slots.

This is a much better idea!

At least... Better than mine actually. :mrgreen:

harthag
Automaton
Automaton

Post#25 » 16 Jun 2017, 18:18

pier4r wrote:
sollniss wrote:Actually this gives me an idea:

Why not do rematches? Every player can set their setup, but when you play a match, you also have to play a rematch with positions swapped (aka you play with the enemy setup).

This would be just as fair as a mirror (because it technically is) and it would allow for free setup customizations and a lot of cheese.

Yes this is also a point. Every match spawn two matches. Why not.

+1

harthag
Automaton
Automaton

Post#26 » 16 Jun 2017, 18:25

mcompany wrote:As for the whole luck factor everyone keeps complaining, I believe it is indeed a thing that can in some cases play a major role, but it can't be called on everything and the luck is mostly due to how little information the bots get

I consider limited bot information as the main source of what others are calling "bad luck". If the bots could detect un-advantageous starting positions, then they could also be programmed to react to them, eliminating "luck", good or bad.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#27 » 16 Jun 2017, 18:43

Yes but how come that some can create Ais, with the same controls, that react better? Are they consistently more lucky? Nah.

harthag
Automaton
Automaton

Post#28 » 16 Jun 2017, 18:48

As for the map/slots/budget: obviously some refinement will be needed, but I think pier4r and gfx are on the right track. I like pier4r's take on budget value numbers, higher numbers are easier to tweak, and easier to make specific for individual classes, which makes it easier to define uniqie limits to individual maps.

harthag
Automaton
Automaton

Post#29 » 16 Jun 2017, 18:50

pier4r wrote:Yes but how come that some can create Ais, with the same controls, that react better? Are they consistently more lucky? Nah.
They're just the better players, but the point is that it's still not luck ;)

mcompany
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#30 » 16 Jun 2017, 21:22

harthag wrote:
pier4r wrote:Yes but how come that some can create Ais, with the same controls, that react better? Are they consistently more lucky? Nah.
They're just the better players, but the point is that it's still not luck ;)

Rather, instead of luck, it's just a lot of situations where it becomes nearly impossible to solve, which might as well be luck. It's just that better players are better in situations where there is enough information and can manipulate the information they don't know to guess correctly more often. Luck (whether it is due to random or not) is by no means the opposite of skill

Return to “Questions”