Sniper missing shots

Wozza
Script
Script

Sniper missing shots

Post#1 » 11 Mar 2017, 07:18

I am trying to pin down why my sniper missed a shoot when I thought it had 100% accuracy. I think I've worked out the reason but want to double check it is actually possible.

Is it possible for the target enemy to move out of range while the sniper's bullet is in flight causing the shot to miss?

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Re: Sniper missing shots

Post#2 » 11 Mar 2017, 08:06

Yes.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

ConsciouS-0nE
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#3 » 11 Mar 2017, 08:15

@wozza

For the second time,
2 of my matches that defeated you it didnt even cut your score?

And ive seen on your previous lose on me it deducted your score.

Etc.
Im not the best player, but atleast im something.I'm 8
Science is madness! 3:)

Wozza
Script
Script

Post#4 » 11 Mar 2017, 09:14

@wozza

For the second time,
2 of my matches that defeated you it didnt even cut your score?

I'm not really sure what your talking about - it looks fine to me.

If I had to guess your looking at situations like 408389 and 6 minutes later 408391 where the leaderboard shows me on the same score for both matches. I don't know for sure how it works but I think its just displaying my score from when I deployed the match not from when you joined the match and it was played.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#5 » 11 Mar 2017, 10:03

Wozza wrote:
If I had to guess your looking at situations like 408389 and 6 minutes later 408391 where the leaderboard shows me on the same score for both matches. I don't know for sure how it works but I think its just displaying my score from when I deployed the match not from when you joined the match and it was played.

It works so. So if you deploy 10 matches and conscious picks 2,he will see the same score on you side.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

ConsciouS-0nE
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#6 » 11 Mar 2017, 10:49

Mmm its just the delay i think, papa pier no?
And i guess you dont watch replays every time it appears. Gg tho, ill have to fix my slpit team that i cluttered alot.
Im not the best player, but atleast im something.I'm 8
Science is madness! 3:)

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#7 » 11 Mar 2017, 11:16

ConsciouS-0nE wrote:Mmm its just the delay i think, papa pier no?

No, it is wanted. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=268

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#8 » 12 Mar 2017, 11:04

Bullet accuracy is computed at the moment it is shot so moving after the shot won't change the result.
And reference scores are based on the time of deployment to reflect the strength of the players.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#9 » 12 Mar 2017, 17:47

GFX47 wrote:Bullet accuracy is computed at the moment it is shot so moving after the shot won't change the result.
And reference scores are based on the time of deployment to reflect the strength of the players.

Hmm then I would say that from time to time it happens that the shoot is not registered for the sniper. I cannot reproduce this because it requires a specific situation but in some cases I had my sniper shooting (my sniper never shoots out range) and not landing the hit. I always thought that, although the accuracy is computed at the time of fire, if a bullet lands would be determined by the distance of the enemy for out of range cases. Also because then dancing would matter less.

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#10 » 12 Mar 2017, 18:49

If you have a replay ID I could check, I'm interested!

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#11 » 12 Mar 2017, 20:12

As soon as I see it happening again (I do not remember the precise match, most of them are checked fast forward) I'll reply here ;)

harthag
Automaton
Automaton

Post#12 » 12 Mar 2017, 21:10

GFX47 wrote:Bullet accuracy is computed at the moment it is shot so moving after the shot won't change the result.

I think I can explain the missed sniper shots. I am pretty sure it's caused by the bot checking it's AI 4 times per second, rather than in real time, while the "prep to fire" timer is in real time.

Example: sniper has a valid (retreating, long range) target and is prepping to fire > sniper checks it's AI (last tick before prep timer will be complete) target is still valid (still in long range), prep to fire timer continues > target moves out of range (before shot is fired, and before sniper checks AI on next tick) > prep to fire completes (before sniper checks AI on next tick) shot is fired, accuracy is calculated at 0% because target is out of range > shot misses

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#13 » 12 Mar 2017, 22:04

Harthag may have a working explanation, anyway at the first replay that I see the sniper missing, I report it.

Wozza
Script
Script

Post#14 » 12 Mar 2017, 23:20

The match I made the original post about was 418283 @ 4:53

I was also considering the explanation harthag gave, the reason I went with the bullet in flight version has that I can see the bullet on the screen at the time the AI debugger updates from enemy is in short/medium/long to enemy is not in short/medium/long. However not knowing the precise details of the timing of these updates I was just guessing at the reason.

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#15 » 12 Mar 2017, 23:50

Harthag is right.

harthag
Automaton
Automaton

Post#16 » 21 Mar 2017, 00:23

So this thread started about snipers, but how does this apply to assault bot bursts and machine gun spreads? Does it apply to eachfired round separately? Or if the are out of range when the firing starts, are all rounds doomed to miss until the next reload?

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#17 » 21 Mar 2017, 08:39

I suppose it is computed per shot. So some bullets will hit, some will not.

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#18 » 21 Mar 2017, 14:52

It's computed by bullet.

LuBeNo
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#19 » 03 Sep 2017, 08:10

harthag wrote:I think I can explain the missed sniper shots. I am pretty sure it's caused by the bot checking it's AI 4 times per second, rather than in real time, while the "prep to fire" timer is in real time.

Example: sniper has a valid (retreating, long range) target and is prepping to fire > sniper checks it's AI (last tick before prep timer will be complete) target is still valid (still in long range), prep to fire timer continues > target moves out of range (before shot is fired, and before sniper checks AI on next tick) > prep to fire completes (before sniper checks AI on next tick) shot is fired, accuracy is calculated at 0% because target is out of range > shot misses

This is a good explanation, but currently it should never trigger.
See here:
GFX47 wrote:The "AttackBulletDuration" is actually an "inter burst duration".

So for Assault you have:
t: start aiming
t+1000ms: shoot first burst
t+1100ms: shoot second burst
t+1200ms: shoot third burst and start next aiming

For Sniper:
t: start aiming
t+3000ms: shoot (unique) burst and start next aiming

So the sniper should always shoot immediate after checking the AI. Moving out of range is not an option.
Did something change in the past regarding this?
My algorithm of life: if(self.tired) sleep(); else if(self.hungry) eat(); else follow(Jesus);

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#20 » 03 Sep 2017, 09:06

Nope. And I actually don't understand what you mean.

Return to “Questions”