Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat

My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Re: Health and Shield bar explanation, please

Post#22 » 22 Mar 2017, 19:30

We all know that gladiabots is the first step to skynet that then will convert GFX and family in supermen, to rule the world with iron fist and assault bots spawning from 3d printers. But we can lie to ourselves for the moment.
Last edited by pier4r on 22 Mar 2017, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#23 » 22 Mar 2017, 22:52

pier4r wrote:We all know that gladiabots is the first step to skynet that then will convert GFX and family in supermen, to rule the world with iron fist and assault bots spawning from 3d printers. But we can lie to ourselves for the moment.

TheKidPunisher
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#24 » 23 Mar 2017, 01:06

Hi guy, i have read rapidly this topic so not sure my propositon have already been proposed.

Actually life of each team is matching with the color of the robot. Why cant we have the same bar for both team and try that:
Keep the form of bar (i think it's better due to the corresponding of 1bar = 1000 life) but change the color following the %.
100 to 75% in green
75 to 50% in blue
50 to 25% in yellow
And 25 to 0% in red.

LuBeNo
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#25 » 23 Mar 2017, 07:44

I also thought of colors. It would destoy the IMO beautiful few color design.

My proposal would be:
  • 100 to 75% in green
  • 75 to 50% in yellow
  • 50 to 25% in orange
  • 25 to 0% in red
My algorithm of life: if(self.tired) sleep(); else if(self.hungry) eat(); else follow(Jesus);

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#26 » 23 Mar 2017, 08:43

With colors would be more like a Christmas tree (especially for shields), but it can work. I like the idea.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#27 » 23 Mar 2017, 09:03

GFX47 wrote:Image

Well... We can be your assistants, right?

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#28 » 23 Mar 2017, 16:08

Here's a test with 4 segments bars scaled depending on their max value.
(please ignore the colors)

harthag
Automaton
Automaton

Post#29 » 23 Mar 2017, 16:29

GFX47 wrote:Here's a test with 4 segments bars scaled depending on their max value
Personally, I prefer the current setup to that scaled test, but it's certainly not bad. Also, it makes me wonder what it would look like to keep each segment the same size (back to 1000 per segment), so bots with higher health or shield have longer total bars due to additional segments instead of due to scaling up the bar as a whole...

Side note, I like that blue. I think that would look good on the bots themselves or where the lighter blue used to be on menus and such

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#30 » 23 Mar 2017, 16:39

GFX47 wrote:Here's a test with 4 segments bars scaled depending on their max value.

[im.]https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3889eifw1potjn/bars_width_test2.jpg?dl=1[/img]

I like it! The idea of the scale gives the sense of how strong is something and 4 bars allows quick debugging. If one has not built a debugger subtree.

I also like the blue instead of the white. WHITE I SAID.

I do not like the font. I mean, it is not bad, but it is too arial. I like the current one, or something more "calibri" like and not arial/helvetica.

wait a minute. What happened to the shotgun?
Was so nice now it looks like it was compressed by an impact and grown more turbines due to cancer. Awesome!

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#31 » 23 Mar 2017, 16:56

Focus on the bars please ^^

TheKidPunisher
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#32 » 25 Mar 2017, 01:00

I like these new bar. And i think it permit to have a more significant vision of the different goal of the different models (tank for MG, scout for SG,...)
And that make me to have this question: will we have the stats of different robots in information in the application?

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#33 » 25 Mar 2017, 03:32

pier4r wrote:...

+1000

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#34 » 25 Mar 2017, 03:38

GFX47 wrote:Focus on the bars please ^^

I'm gonna be dull. They look out of proportion. They simply destroy the minimalistic approach of the new UI. About colors, would be great if you made those customizable, because UI colors are totally player preference. Also, lets say you give us a color wheel and a player chooses green. Instead of just making the HUD green, you could also give the white bots a green accent. White looks good with anything. Whether the base color will be customizable is up to you.

sollniss
Automaton
Automaton

Post#35 » 27 May 2017, 01:41

GFX47 wrote:Here's a test with 4 segments bars scaled depending on their max value.

Not a fan of this. The current way is much more intuitive. I don't see the point of wasting one visualization-dimension to visualize the 25%/50%/75% heal/shield variable because humans are pretty good at figuring that out themselfs at a glance and for debugging we have the debug view anyways.

drartimus
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#36 » 28 May 2017, 07:36

I see where you are going with the differing lengths and centering them, but I guess I still have a preference for the shield and HP having the same length.

Here's another idea. I noticed when the bars aren't 100%, the background is just a solid dark color. What if that dark background revealed quarters based bars?

My apologies if the image is too blurry or subtle, I hope it's enough to get the idea across.
"If it acts like it's not running your code, it's probably not running your code." -- me, I say this all the GD time!

Captain Spock (Castlevania)
Automaton
Automaton

Post#37 » 28 May 2017, 17:57

shotgun upgraded to quadcopter?

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#38 » 28 May 2017, 19:13

drartimus wrote:I see where you are going with the differing lengths and centering them, but I guess I still have a preference for the shield and HP having the same length.

Here's another idea. I noticed when the bars aren't 100%, the background is just a solid dark color. .

Like!

drartimus
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#39 » 29 May 2017, 07:19

Well, since I have my editor out and my ambition is high, here's another idea I had. What about a HUD? It can show the bot's state, like shield and HP, moving/fleeing/idling, attacking, what type of enemy is being attacked, catching/transporting/dropping resource, etc.

Please forgive the font, I didn't have anything remotely close. I'm positive there's a ton of visual details to work out, such as when a bot overlaps another or isn't visible on the screen because of zoom and pan. I think adding vertical lines could offer more flexibility for individual bot HUD positioning, and if a bot isn't showing, I guess the individual HUD for that bot doesn't show? Also, the bot class could be just a tile and that would leave more room for the AI name.

Just another unsolicited, but still humble suggestion. This one might border on feature request. ;)
"If it acts like it's not running your code, it's probably not running your code." -- me, I say this all the GD time!

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#40 » 29 May 2017, 17:05

Second like!

Return to “Questions”