How does matchmaking work?

Aimer RC
Script
Script

How does matchmaking work?

Post#1 » 22 Jan 2017, 17:09

Well, new to this game... again. I wonder how matchmaking works? Is it normal that I have to play against people, outside of my league? Or that my enemies are allowed to use bot classes, which I can't use?

It seems kinda unfair for me. :?

ConsciouS-0nE
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Re: How does matchmaking work?

Post#2 » 22 Jan 2017, 17:32

For the guys who doesnt know aimer rc,
He created the MIND GAME ;)
(I forgot the second guy, remember me? :'(, ghost third person :D )

Currently gfx activitated inter league matches for some reason,
And recently im reading the negative reviews.

Question-
Does losing in a higher league player rewards an exp?

If not id agree with Ritter/or maybe other person.

So
Everytime someones loses to a higher league player (expected, but doest happened sometimes)
The lower one can accumulate exp in terms on,
- he faught someone already EXPERIENCED
- hes a lower level not league so people cant exploit leveling up by losing.
-and etc.

For now gfx is quite busy, well wait for results in the next few days.
Im not the best player, but atleast im something.I'm 8
Science is madness! 3:)

Aimer RC
Script
Script

Post#3 » 22 Jan 2017, 17:59

ConsciouS-0nE wrote:Question-
Does losing in a higher league player rewards an exp?

Nope.

Hopefully gfx knows what he is doing.

ConsciouS-0nE wrote:(I forgot the second guy, remember me? :'(, ghost third person :D )

Sneaky. Is he still active? And yes, I remember you. ;)
Last edited by Aimer RC on 22 Jan 2017, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#4 » 22 Jan 2017, 18:03

The last official documentation of the matchmaking is here:

- viewtopic.php?f=5&t=111
- then gfx announced some changes but he did not formalized them yet like the previous post (we have to wait): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=316 (post #12, #13, #14)

I see it a bit unfair (and not rewarding when one has a lot of points I learn more from 5 matches with equal score opponents than with 20 matches against 1200 opponents that still are learning a lot) and I open a request here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=342 . If you like it, put a +1.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#5 » 22 Jan 2017, 18:07

ConsciouS-0nE wrote:- he faught someone already EXPERIENCED
-and etc.

I reject this point. It is not that one can emulate what an experienced player can do with less AI controls and bot classes. Is way more difficult. Not impossible, but frustrating and a game is about fun.

Once the fun is out of the window, the game follows in a short time. Do you know warsow or quakelive? If not, is because they were not fun enough (although being great games) and the community kept destroying newcomers.
Last edited by pier4r on 22 Jan 2017, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

ConsciouS-0nE
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#6 » 22 Jan 2017, 18:21

pier4r wrote:It is not that one can emulate what an experienced player can do with less AI controls and bot. Is way more difficult. Not impossible, but frustrating and a game is about fun.

Thats the point <3.

What do you get when youre a newbie that wants chees as an career and faught a chess grandmaster and you lose?
-knowledge/experience
Then you gave;
-respect
-exp too to the grandmaster
"Wow that match was challenging, i almost beat him. Im gonna try again better next time"

Not saying that the losing one would get 100% xp from the opponent elo count but just like 5-10%(=X)
Last edited by ConsciouS-0nE on 23 Jan 2017, 13:53, edited 2 times in total.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#7 » 22 Jan 2017, 19:03

ConsciouS-0nE wrote:
What do you get when youre a newbie and faught a chess grandmaster and you lose?
-experience

No, the newbie gets nothing. It is not that you can learn patterns out of thin air. "Oh look I just lost, of course now I know a new opening! It was so easy to learn!"
Moreover the newbie has the same pieces of the veteran, while with levels in gladiabots newcomers have way less, no sniper, no Ai controls and so on.

"Wow that match was difficult and fun, i almost beat him. Im gonna try again better next time"

No. The impressive part is that I saw this pattern of arguing in a lot of games where less skilled players were just stomped by veteran ones. It is like hardwired in many people, it is sad how people do not see the frustration of the others.

Pattern of this logic:

1. veteran players did not went through the same stomping (indeed, in gladiabots who is holding the ground for stomping the 1200 players has already 250k points or more, it is not that they have just got the mg).
2. no player that says "stomping is good" shows that he is willing to be stomped with the conditions that he thinks are healthy for the newcomers. Prove me wrong.
-- Conscious you can play the next matches, until you get 100 more victories, only with assaults, you will learn a lot, guaranteed! (you will also end up with 1200 points and win ratio of 30% at most, but that is a side effect). You may use tags and advanced filters, but play only assaults bots. I can check through replays. Prediction: you won't do it, because it is no fun and even if you might learn, be stomped without having equal formation against the opponent (only assault) will take away any will to continue to play.
3. Players that support the view "losing against someone with 400+ points elo higher, and 2+ Xp levels higher, is helpful" are always on the higher score side. I never saw (here and in other games) a player that was grateful to be stomped. "Yes please, make marmelade with me!". Again prove me wrong. Delete the game, start new losing all the XP, do not ask gfx to link your old account to the new one, and go through all the levels getting stomped. Then, after getting the level 7, since the fun is gone, delete the game again and then reinstall to go through all the levels against nullpointer with only assaults both and alpha 4.x controls, over and over. If that is fun, do it.

So, said that, I cannot change the mind of whom argue in another way, but at last I make clear why I think that the argument "getting stomped is nice, gives you experience" is weak if not absurd.

Tralalo
Script
Script

Post#8 » 22 Jan 2017, 19:16

pier4r wrote:...

I completely agree with you, those matches are just unfair.

sethcohn
Automaton
Automaton

Post#9 » 22 Jan 2017, 21:12

I just spent an hour or more grinding to go from mid Level 4 to 5 (I was hoping to get to 6)... 90% of the losses (which were majority) were from high players with snipers and unlimited code. When I dropped from Master to Diamond league, my win ratio went back up, and I quickly climbed back into Master... and began to lose again, dropping slower back toward Diamond.

I use the word grind intentionally. This wasn't a fun experience, it was more "I need to make 100k points to gain a sniper, merely so I can work with one, fine tune anti-sniper code and compete"

gfx, matches need to be on equal grounds... if one side can do things the other cannot (even if the other side chooses not), it's no longer 'fun'.

kemput
Script
Script

Post#10 » 23 Jan 2017, 01:46

ConsciouS-0nE wrote:So
Everytime someones loses to a higher league player (expected, but doest happened sometimes)
The lower one can accumulate exp in terms on,
- he faught someone already EXPERIENCED
-and etc.

For now gfx is quite busy, well wait for results in the next few days.

I agree with this. Someone should calculate the probability of strongest AI of lower XP level win against medium strength of higher XP level. If it is not zero I think players still have chance. From replays lower XP usually win in Best Score by snatching balls to compensate enemy's firepower. But in Kill Them All usually has no chance, a single or double waves of concentrated attack of multi bot classes is enough to eliminate an assault instantly.

Aimer RC
Script
Script

Post#11 » 23 Jan 2017, 13:10

sethcohn wrote:.I use the word grind intentionally. This wasn't a fun experience, it was more "I need to make 100k points to gain a sniper, merely so I can work with one, fine tune anti-sniper code and compete"

Would be nice, if I had access to all bot classes at least in traing mode. Now I have to wait for online battles, in order to test my AI.

ConsciouS-0nE
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#12 » 26 Jan 2017, 13:10

https://trello.com/c/314fca3C/453-change-xp-reward

Aimer RC wrote:Would be nice, if I had access to all bot classes at least in traing mode. Now I have to wait for online battles, in order to test my AI.

https://trello.com/c/DhQ2KCnx/445-unloc ... test-arena

Return to “Questions”