My List of Quetions

J7Luke
Script
Script

My List of Quetions

Post#1 » 29 Dec 2016, 16:31

I have a few things I was wondering about. If anyone has any answers, I would love to hear them.

[1] How do you guys deal with the walls? (I know a change is coming to fix that, just wondering for in the meantime)

[2] How do you guys deal with the robots that start attacking at long range? If you try to get to medium range, your shields are already weaker than theirs when you get there, but if you attack at long range, no one ever deals enough damage.

[3] What AIs do you guys use to test your AIs against in training mode?

Thanks! :)

Ritter Runkel
Neural Network
Neural Network

Re: My List of Quetions

Post#2 » 29 Dec 2016, 20:49

J7Luke wrote:[1] How do you guys deal with the walls? (I know a change is coming to fix that, just wondering for in the meantime)

I try to push as hard as possible without exposing solitary bots to much. So I try to let all bots rush at the same time. When you push harder it should not be a problem anymore. Nevertheless at some maps you can take stationary fix points to keep your bots away from the walls. e.g. in meeting point you can check if any base is in short/medium/long range. If so everything is fine. If not then stop retreating or change to another push mode (more aggressive)

J7Luke wrote:[2] How do you guys deal with the robots that start attacking at long range? If you try to get to medium range, your shields are already weaker than theirs when you get there, but if you attack at long range, no one ever deals enough damage.

That's a difficult question and it strongly depends on the map. If it starts at long range then you are right. You have only few possibilities to go to medium range without loosing. What you can do is to use the MG or the shotguns like tanks to absorb fire. They push to medium range, shoot a while and retreat. The sniper can stay at long range and so the other assaults have the chance to get to medium range without to much damage. You can combine that with retreatment under fire. That means that you flee out of medium range and attack from there. So you get damaged but not to much. And your comrades can use this extra amount of time to hit the enemy more then he hits you.

Look at this video. Team red uses this technic to beat my long range oriented AI
[youtube]Aypp9Zc5Zds[/youtube]

J7Luke wrote:What AIs do you guys use to test your AIs against in training mode?

For a first approach I use some standard AIs I have. After that I try to get to multiplayer as fast as possible. In the beginning you lose some points but then there is this drawback-point where your AI is not buggy any more and where you beat more enemies then you are beaten from them. Thanks to the ELO score system, it's a short way back to Top10 or Top20 once your AIs are efficient. Don't be afraid of losing point during training.
I saw a guys optimizing his retreatment tactics (I'm not sure, I think it was Blitz). So intentionally he choosed a weak pushing strategy to see, how to retreat best. When you think that your AIs are fine you can spend some time with searching for the optimal positioning of your bots on the maps. But you can also wait in multiplayer until you lost against someone with a similar AI-style. Then you can try to adapt the other initial positioning.

I hope to see you soon in league 4

J7Luke
Script
Script

Post#3 » 30 Dec 2016, 00:30

Thanks for the awesome advice! I just found this game a few days ago, so I'm still trying to figure out everything and also create decent AIs. I too hope to join you guys in League 4 as soon as I can.

Ritter Runkel
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#4 » 30 Dec 2016, 00:42

I know, it's not so easy in the beginning but it is so rewarding when you see how your Bots get smarter and smarter :-)

Return to “Questions”