tag resource closest to a tagged base ?

M4L4
Algorithm
Algorithm

tag resource closest to a tagged base ?

Post#1 » 23 Nov 2018, 16:19

Hi guys, i'm struggling figuring how to tag target Y based on tagged target Y.

i'll try to explain myself:

i tag an ally base depending on distance from enemies,
now that i've figured out what is the safest base to move to,
i want to tag the resource closest to the tagged base, so i can move straight to it, without getting the closest to me resource and then having to carry it through the entire arena to the safe base.

How can i achieve that?

ElvenMonk
Neural Network
Neural Network

Re: tag resource closest to a tagged base ?

Post#2 » 23 Nov 2018, 19:57

There is no way to do what you want at the moment. If you have an idea of the minimal change to the game, that will make it possible, GFX might decide to implement it.

I'm appreciating any activity on this topic anyway, cause it's probably one of the only features left unimplemented from my wish list. And definitely most desired.

Just for the record, my 2 previous attempts to solve the problem, both don't seem to be good enough to solve the issue without introducing additional complexity.
https://forum.gladiabots.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1415
https://forum.gladiabots.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1607

M4L4
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#3 » 26 Nov 2018, 11:59

i like the proposals, and i understand the problem of making this game harder to play, but... isn't it better to spend more time learning a more efficient system, or is it better to spend countless time writing home made softwares for your bots, just to overcame the restrictions?

To help newcomers getting a good grasp of the game, we might help designing specific tutorials, and more important, sharing ideas on the forum, and 'd like to stress that point a little bit.
The game is changing, we will have special attacks, different game modes and god knows what else, most of today strategies will become obsolete, i'm not talking about posting your complete ai's or subtle strategies, but if experienced players start sharing solid basic strats on which we can improve, that will reduce the overall feeling of "what the fuck am i doing" that sticks to you at the start of the game (well also for the first couple of weeks :D)

Hairy Phil
Automaton
Automaton

Post#4 » 26 Nov 2018, 12:33

M4L4 wrote:is it better to spend countless time writing home made softwares for your bots, just to overcame the restrictions?

That's literally the purpose of this game, and is the reason that we use these arbitrary nodes instead of just coding in Python or something.

M4L4 wrote:start sharing solid basic strats

That's what the Wiki does: https://wiki.gladiabots.com/index.php?title=Strategies

M4L4
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#5 » 26 Nov 2018, 13:07

Hairy Phil wrote:
M4L4 wrote:is it better to spend countless time writing home made softwares for your bots, just to overcame the restrictions?

That's literally the purpose of this game, and is the reason that we use these arbitrary nodes instead of just coding in Python or something.

i understand that point, but if every player start using the same script (eg. binary tag counters to keep track of time etc.) i think it's still better to just add counters, there's something new to study and test out but, now we have 2 new mechanics to play with, (counters and tags if you were using all of them to count stuff).
on the other hand, some of the most entertaining games i've ever played, had huge restrictions on their mechanic. So it's always a matter of finding the right balance between making a game, and making a programmer/engineer competition

Hairy Phil wrote:
M4L4 wrote:start sharing solid basic strats

That's what the Wiki does: https://wiki.gladiabots.com/index.php?title=Strategies

Wiki has some great stuff, but the game is pretty deep, i don't know about others experience at the beginning, but after getting the very basic strategy, i felt pretty lost about actual strategy until i've found the aggrobot guide by Revenge that gave me a better insight of the direction to take. That kind of stuff will help a lot newcomers by smoothing an otherwise pretty steep learning curve.

Return to “Questions”