New player's questions

eduran
Hello World
Hello World

New player's questions

Post#1 » 16 Jul 2018, 13:57

New player here, with a few basic questions about how to improve my AI further.

After completing the tutorial I played campaign missions for quite a while. The AI developed during that time let me rise quickly through multiplayer leagues. Whenever I lose a match I try to identify the reason and implement changes to the AI to prevent this kind of loss in the future. In the beginning, spotting and fixing those mistakes was pretty easy. By now (1600-1700 ELO) I am often unable to clearly identify the cause of a loss. So, how do you analyse a close match? What should I be looking for when my AI loses without making an obvious mistake?

Another questions is about testing changes: How do you check if a modification to your AI actually fixes the problem you tried to fix? You can let it fight the old version of the AI as a basic test, but that doesn't necessarily tell you if your AI is now able to deal with the problem better. Is there a way to re-fight a multiplayer battle with the upgraded AI? If not, how are you figuring out if a change to the AI worked?

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Re: New player's questions

Post#2 » 16 Jul 2018, 16:40

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=823

Check also other threads in questions and strategies sections.

"How do you check if a modification to your AI actually fixes the problem you tried to fix?"
Play a ton of game. Go for statistical soundness. Don't change things too quickly (I fail too in this) and test them. If a change passes 10-15 games (or more), then it is likely to be good.

I mean we already have ghosts that are a huge advantage, asking to play the ghosts in the same map then makes the game way simpler.

Also forget to win only, it is already gret when your defeat percentage stays low (and for low I mean, under 25%).
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

ElvenMonk
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#3 » 17 Jul 2018, 07:36

There is no good way to play same opponent on a same map at your will. Probably, there will be some improvement on it in Alpha 14 with implementation of random game seed feature.

My advise, once you reached the point, when your modifications rather break something then fix something else, start your AI over with new better structure taking into account knowledge you've gained already. This way you may create AI that is easier to manage in a way you like, without old clutter you can't handle anymore.

Chilio
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#4 » 28 Jul 2018, 23:07

ElvenMonk wrote:My advise, once you reached the point, when your modifications rather break something then fix something else, start your AI over with new better structure taking into account knowledge you've gained already. This way you may create AI that is easier to manage in a way you like, without old clutter you can't handle anymore.

I agree partly: adjust parts of your AI to be much more manageable. Throwing your whole AI out of the window creates a large piece of work to do, which could make you still playing

Return to “Questions”