We need more players.

GFX47
Dev

Re: We need more players.

Post#41 » 18 Aug 2017, 18:10

I already tried A/B testing with 10/100 free multiplayer matches and conversion was a bit higher with 10 ;)

mcompany
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#42 » 18 Aug 2017, 19:11

But was that causation or correlation?

GFX47
Dev

Post#43 » 18 Aug 2017, 21:40

Ritter Runkel
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#44 » 18 Aug 2017, 21:50

GFX47 wrote:I already tried A/B testing with 10/100 free multiplayer matches and conversion was a bit higher with 10 ;)

Maybe you could try a test with a group getting ten or twenty matches per day. Imho it's more about getting the ppl to get addicted. And that needs continuity and time.

I liked the game when I started,
I liked it more when I started multiplayer and I saw that I improvement of my AI.
I got addicted one or two weeks later when my elo grew and grew.

Funfact about addictivity if gladiabots: I bought the walking dead season II for Android last October for 10 or 15 Dollar, around the time when I started with gladiabots. Until know I didn't find time to start the walking dead

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#45 » 18 Aug 2017, 22:17

GFX47 wrote:I already tried A/B testing with 10/100 free multiplayer matches and conversion was a bit higher with 10 ;)

Side question, how many that got 100 games went past 10 ? How was the distribution of their activity?
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#46 » 18 Aug 2017, 22:19

Ritter Runkel wrote:
Funfact about addictivity if gladiabots: I bought the walking dead season II for Android last October for 10 or 15 Dollar, around the time when I started with gladiabots. Until know I didn't find time to start the walking dead

I bought so many games when I tried gladiabots (I had holidays). They are still not open. The room two, three, modern combat 4 (I already played a bit on the 5), and so on. Even serious stuff gets delayed (like I bought the HP prime app, not yet used) and still I find little time for the game, damn this awesome game.

Still, it needs a way to hook those players that can be hooked, that are already a little due to the game difficulty.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

GFX47
Dev

Post#47 » 21 Aug 2017, 11:15

pier4r wrote:

Side question, how many that got 100 games went past 10 ? How was the distribution of their activity?

Woops, while checking it, I realized the free limit check was bugged for the 100 limit XD
Anyway, among premium players, at the moment they bought premium access:
65% didn't play a single multiplayer match
15% reached the multiplayer match limit
Most of the remaining 20% already surpassed the limit ^^'

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#48 » 21 Aug 2017, 13:55

so half of the population with unlimited matches is not even playing online. But the fact remains, even for the paying players, having opponents is is important.

TheKidPunisher
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#49 » 29 Aug 2017, 17:46

After some reflexions i think it will be better to add more "ranked matches" for players who have not already pay.

1st -> i play a lot the day i discover the game and really get the interest after more than 10 matches because at first your AI is not so complicated and you do not have so much difficulties to reach higher elo (it is my impression, tell me if it was different for some of you)

2nd -> 10 matches it is so few!
You begin the game, create an AI ->try the first mission in practice -> it looks good so try the multiplayer -> you play 2-3 matchs which found opponent directly, you queue up the rest of your 7-8 matches and then it is finish (i dont even know if the new player will re-open the game)

So if for you 100 matches is too high, maybe you can test 50 matches.

PS: i still think that an system with publicity to look for play X more matchs will be indispensable to have a bigger amount of players (and maybe more player who will buy it due to the ratio "low cost / amazing game")

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#50 » 25 Sep 2017, 19:47

So tried to convince another person that plays a lot with Gladiabots. It may show why we are so few, because the games requires quite a lot of thinking.

- the tutorial is too long, I have to read too much, I want to play
- what are all those filters, it is overwhelming, do I need to remember all those things?

In general: it is frustrating a lot because one has to learn a lot of stuff slowly, while people want to play now, without thinking much. (imagine a first person shooter) refined learning can happen later for sure, but in gladiabots if one tries to put randomly some nodes, likely it won't work at all.

So once again, for all those players that wants to play quickly without much reading and testing, gladiabots is a no go.
On the other side, gladiabots is gladiabots exactly because is not that trivial.

The point is that to get new players, that go through thousands of games (regardeless of the score), is really a lottery.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#51 » 25 Sep 2017, 20:04

Another feedback. If the player does not log in for long time, has a lot of announcements in queue that are annoying. Like Alpha 10.1, Alpha 10.2, I need you, Alpha 10.3 etc..

LuBeNo
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#52 » 26 Sep 2017, 07:04

pier4r wrote:Another feedback. If the player does not log in for long time, has a lot of announcements in queue that are annoying. Like Alpha 10.1, Alpha 10.2, I need you, Alpha 10.3 etc..

Support.
There should be "message 3 of 6" and "skip all".
My algorithm of life: if(self.tired) sleep(); else if(self.hungry) eat(); else follow(Jesus);

mcompany
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#53 » 26 Sep 2017, 07:05

LuBeNo wrote:
pier4r wrote:Another feedback. If the player does not log in for long time, has a lot of announcements in queue that are annoying. Like Alpha 10.1, Alpha 10.2, I need you, Alpha 10.3 etc..

Support.

+1

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#54 » 26 Sep 2017, 09:26

mcompany wrote:
LuBeNo wrote:

Support.

+1

+1
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat

My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

Chilio
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#55 » 27 Sep 2017, 15:53

pier4r wrote:feedback:
- the tutorial is too long, I have to read too much, I want to play
- what are all those filters, it is overwhelming, do I need to remember all those things?

In general: it is frustrating a lot because one has to learn a lot of stuff slowly, while people want to play now, without thinking much. (imagine a first person shooter) refined learning can happen later for sure, but in gladiabots if one tries to put randomly some nodes, likely it won't work at all.

So go back to unlocking different things one by one? (Based on xp or so, so you don't lose stuff you already had, but that also requires more leagues for people that did not unlock things. (you don't want to lose because you didn't unlock X yet...))

Difficult...

TheKidPunisher
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#56 » 27 Sep 2017, 17:57

Pentium wrote: I am aware of the fact that it is not a game accessible to all, extremely time consuming, not very sexy, and not as animated as a "Tekken" on a console game ... Despite this, for the 0.001% of the population who can being interested, it is difficult to get down once you get inside. But how to get these players to discover this game is the whole question.

GFX47
Dev

Post#57 » 27 Sep 2017, 18:25

Talk about it on strategy or programming fans forums, contact youtubers and the press to ask them to talk about it, etc.
I'll start to do it soon.

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#58 » 27 Sep 2017, 19:09

Ay I constantly pester my friends with ADs lol
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat

My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#59 » 27 Sep 2017, 20:05

Chilio wrote:
So go back to unlocking different things one by one? (Based on xp or so, so you don't lose stuff you already had, but that also requires more leagues for people that did not unlock things. (you don't want to lose because you didn't unlock X yet...))

Difficult...

No, simply accept that many people when playing don't want to think. So the actual gladiabots will always have few players.

GFX47
Dev

Post#60 » 27 Sep 2017, 20:16

It's what we call a "niche" game even if one of my goals with Gladiabots is to make non programmers discover the unlimited creativity programming offers.
The tricky part is too find where this niche is present and make them try the game.
If you are present on some geeky/strategy/gaming forums, it may be a good idea to discuss about Gladiabots there ;)

Return to “General Discussions”