We need more players.

mcompany
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Re: We need more players.

Post#81 » 09 Oct 2017, 03:13

Revenge wrote:The UI rework for the most part, to me the old UI was faster and seemed to make more sense. Along with that some people like me coded using "Closest" instead of ANY/ALL, and it was really off-putting having that taken away. The addition of Counting as a new feature did not help the situation either.

While I can agree with some of what you said (I personally liked the old ui and music better), I don't remember if it changed for 9.x or 8.x (if it was during 8.x then your point does make any sense at all), and I honestly can't find a reason why counting or any other new feature would hurt the game either (especially with me seeing some of these requests from months ago before this forum, or from Google play reviews, or from my friends who don't even play gladiabots, or from people on discord, or from...). Like I wouldn't be surprised if a combination of this game being free to try plus no additional promotion had a MUCH bigger influence than just a little GUI change

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#82 » 09 Oct 2017, 08:01

the new GUI was alredy there in alpha 8, June.

I was thinking that maybe the 400-500 missing games are due to unranked games (that do not get shown in a diagram). This wouldn't be so strange.

See Pentium for example, is playing mostly unranked.
(anyway I in the past I preferred that people played ranked, now I think that if they play at all is great)
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

TheKidPunisher
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#83 » 09 Oct 2017, 09:13

pier4r wrote:See Pentium for example, is playing mostly unranked.
(anyway I in the past I preferred that people played ranked, now I think that if they play at all is great)

As he said to me, he plays unranked when the ranked match are pending due to a lack of opponent (or to do some verification in his AIs after modification before play ranked)
He missed him the old league (in 7.x when he begins)

He hopes that the augmentation at +/- 400 elo for matchmaking will make the ranked be active again...

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#84 » 09 Oct 2017, 11:23

I don't think there will be so much more activity. As said, few people are really active (even the ones wanting activity are not that active, so they do not help) and many players do ranked/unranked.

Also in the last week pentium played only 2 ranked games. The activity in ranked games is low, but not that low. It is ok to say "i play unranked to test", nothing bad, just the unranked activity is not "recorded" in the diagrams.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Nifnab
Hello World
Hello World

Post#85 » 23 Nov 2017, 17:31

Hi all,

Realise this is an old thread, but thought I'd give my opinion since I'm one of the types of people mentioned who played this intensely for a while but then disappeared (but have now started up again, just reached GM yay!).

Thinking back, the reason I personally stopped was the whole subAI-management side all got too much for a casual game. I was trying to build map-specific bots, manage iterations of everything and keep track of which of my 12 'attack' modules was meant to do what. In the end I had a bug I couldn't work out, and knew I probably needed to do a total rebuild to fix it. I kept putting that off until I hadn't opened the app for a few weeks and moved on.

I think I have a better system now, but for me at least there's a lot more the game could do in teaching/guiding/forcing people into not getting into a mess and making that part more friendly for non-programmers. I thinking of maybe separating out subAIs, automatically managing versions, discouraging map-specific bots, etc.

It's an amazing platform for teaching coding concepts, perhaps something to add to the roadmap if it's not there already GFX :)

GFX47
Dev Team

Post#86 » 23 Nov 2017, 19:14

There are 2 things I want to test in that matter : limiting AIs size and procedurally generated maps.

What do you mean by separating sub AIs?

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#87 » 24 Nov 2017, 03:56

GFX47 wrote:There are 2 things I want to test in that matter : limiting AIs size and procedurally generated maps.

Have mercy, stop stabbing creativity.
Procedurally generated Maps are good.
He means auto-versioning.

I have an AI with 2 subtrees SUB1 and SUB2.
I make AI mk II, the subtrees get a hidden version (to be accessed by clicking a drop down arrow in AI list). I edit in peace.
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat

My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

Borogrove
Script
Script

Post#88 » 24 Nov 2017, 05:40

I'm an old player who has come back to this game.
It's the only app game I have ever spent money on because I wanted to support it.

On new players and retention I'd think it would be great if the test arena was open to all and without ads for people who pay. I think it would improve the multiplayer and improve retention. Some people will simply never pay for an app game no matter what, they definitely are not joining the player base without access to the test arena imo. More players talking about the game with the test arena would probably be better in the long run?

On a side point before donating, the trial to use the test arena failed for me and simply was always blocked behind the pay wall. Might have happened to a few others and they would never know what they are missing. Might be worth extending the test arena period for at least a week rather than a one time thing at least.

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#89 » 24 Nov 2017, 06:27

Borogrove wrote:I'm an old player who has come back to this game.

When were you here? What was your IGN?
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat

My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

Borogrove
Script
Script

Post#90 » 24 Nov 2017, 08:02

Kanishka wrote:
Borogrove wrote:I'm an old player who has come back to this game.

When were you here? What was your IGN?

I played around September of 2016 and my phone then got destroyed about a year ago and I only just now reinstalled. Not sure what the ign is?
I had a different nick I forgot what it was till I found I still had this screenshot.
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-09-09-01-31-13.png
Screenshot_2016-09-09-01-31-13.png (310.4 KiB) Viewed 75 times

Nifnab
Hello World
Hello World

Post#91 » 25 Nov 2017, 00:04

GFX47 wrote:There are 2 things I want to test in that matter : limiting AIs size and procedurally generated maps.

Well I have a single big list of AIs, some are bots and others are modules, many are different versions of the same moduld. Could be made easier to organise them, e.g. be able to put them in separate lists, with better version control.

Then auto versioning really could help a lot, something like Kanishka described - make it easier to iterate designs while keep old versions either to go back to or to test against.

Procedurally generated maps sound fun.

Return to “General Discussions”