Match Pairing

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Match Pairing

Post#1 » 27 Apr 2017, 17:23

Well, why don't we pair matches with people of the same XP Level? That would solve a ton of problems! And yes, any 2 people can match if they are in the same Level. Even a person in sliver league can match a grand master.
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat

My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Re: Match Pairing

Post#2 » 27 Apr 2017, 17:36

1. (I raise again the idea of avoiding pairings between too different levels) viewtopic.php?f=2&t=469
2. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=342#p3948 the elo does not lie. Pairing a 1200 with a 1800 makes little sense. I would say that every pairing with 300+ score difference does not make much sense. Sure, there will be upsets, but not often enough.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Captain Spock (Castlevania)
Automaton
Automaton

Post#3 » 27 Apr 2017, 19:13

I don't like the idea of match pairing based on XP. Score and league already explained everything. What we need is just a fair match. That IS the essential problem.

Bombafat
Script
Script

Post#4 » 27 Apr 2017, 19:34

I also do not think that this is a good idea. I still prefer the idea to give acess to all bots and Nodes by reaching Grand Masters.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#5 » 27 Apr 2017, 20:19

Bombafat wrote:I also do not think that this is a good idea. I still prefer the idea to give access to all bots and Nodes by reaching Grand Masters.

I second this idea.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

harthag
Automaton
Automaton

Post#6 » 27 Apr 2017, 20:36

pier4r wrote:
Bombafat wrote:I also do not think that this is a good idea. I still prefer the idea to give access to all bots and Nodes by reaching Grand Masters.

I second this idea.

I third this idea.

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#7 » 28 Apr 2017, 07:58

harthag wrote:
pier4r wrote:

I second this idea.

I third this idea.

I fourth this idea.
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat

My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

Automaton
Automaton

Post#8 » 30 Apr 2017, 02:37

Strange thing about match pairing. Today I tried play a lot to test my new AI against those very good players. Stats shows that five 1800+ played today, and some even played next to me. But I only met mcompany once on Mind Game.

mcompany
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#9 » 30 Apr 2017, 05:17

I played a little today, and then stopped and watched some youtube videos

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#10 » 30 Apr 2017, 10:41

Castlevania wrote:Strange thing about match pairing. Today I tried play a lot to test my new AI against those very good players. Stats shows that five 1800+ played today, and some even played next to me. But I only met mcompany once on Mind Game.

Nah it is not strange, the activity is very low so challenges get picked immediately by the next challenger. For example you played 70 games in the last 7 days and that is very low. If we would be many, 70 games would be great, but with the current activity anything under 300 is a little.

Automaton
Automaton

Post#11 » 25 May 2017, 07:57

Today was ridiculous, I won 5 matches in a row but got total points 0.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#12 » 25 May 2017, 08:51

That is how the elo works. Unless we have dynamic ranges (yes one will have to wait more for proper opponents but still...) as long as the ranges in a league are too large, this happens.

At least you gained xp and win rate.

Automaton
Automaton

Post#13 » 25 May 2017, 22:36

Every time I encounter an unfamiliar high rank opponent, I lose.

Waiting for my fighting back, Pier.

Automaton
Automaton

Post#14 » 25 May 2017, 22:43

However, doesn't the dev want to promote it further? The active player base is shrinking to almost 100.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#15 » 26 May 2017, 12:52

@castlevania:

. The nice part of this game is that you think that you solved everything, and still there are other approaches that can annoy you (see viewtopic.php?f=7&t=224 ) . I believe the game is far from solved with the controls of 7.11 .

I do believe you have quite specializations and you test a lot locally, as nullpointer did, so you need the data to improve. Surely next time will be hard for me but don't worry, if the game does not change ai controls and mechanics, when I will reach 20K games I will be unbeatable.

For the playerbase, we had worse periods, with only 60 players listed. I do think GFX is promoting it a lot, but the problem is that since the game has a cost now, many of the players that normally play for free are missing (you know how people are. They spend 600 euro on a device, and then they cannot pay 3 euro for a game).

The game needs a fremium model, just because the current audience is used to this, there is little to do about this. When the platinium league (the league after gold) goes down 100 players, then the multiplayer is at risk. Currently they are around 80.

Actually the top league is alive because there are the veterans playing, otherwise it will be a bit empty.

Also, players get frustrated by the matchmaking, especially when level 4 are paired with level 6 or 7.

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#16 » 26 May 2017, 16:48

Don't forget the game is still in development and not officially released.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#17 » 26 May 2017, 18:34

while I know about the "alpha" tag, what do you mean with "officially released"? One can find it on the play store (hopefully the "badass" word is not there anymore) like other games, or not?

Automaton
Automaton

Post#18 » 26 May 2017, 18:40

GFX47 wrote:Don't forget the game is still in development and not officially released.

When will alpha 8 be released? A huge update is definitely attractive. I think it is better to maintain the current player base than to regain it.

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#19 » 26 May 2017, 19:07

Official release means feature complete, localized, all platforms covered. Basically not in alpha / development any more.

Alpha 8 will be released... as soon as it's ready ^^

Automaton
Automaton

Post#20 » 27 May 2017, 00:46

@GFX47 Any plan to make drastic game mechanism changes (obsolete current AIs) in the future?

Return to “General Discussions”