I stopped playing because...

skygrid
Hello World
Hello World

I stopped playing because...

Post#1 » 27 Apr 2017, 11:12

My experience was something like:
  • learn game and play intensely
  • advance leagues rapidly with only minor tweaks to base bot-behaviour (to master-league)
  • reach grand master league with something like 70+% win-ratio
  • get beaten by snipers and AIs more advanced than what I had access to build (I guess)
  • lose a significant number of games
  • conclude I am missing features to be competitive and would need to grind until getting them
  • stop playing

(I am told this issue exists for other multiplayer competitive games like clash of clans as well, but they require the grind built into their games for the moneterisation to work)

My suggestion would be to open up features when advancing in leagues. So if you reach grand master, all features would be available to you. An alternative, of course, would be to slow league-advancement to ensure matching feature-set and that people actually understood the features they had access to... but I would prefer the fast-paced version :)

(it may just be that I should just stop complaining and build a proper AI... but that's not what happened...)

PEW
Script
Script

Re: I stopped playing because...

Post#2 » 27 Apr 2017, 11:50

Always sad to hear if someone quits the game :/

When you don't keep changing your AI, your win ratio should statistically get to 50% (if you don't count draws). Maybe you are loosing some games in a row, but if you play some hours later against other opponents, you should win more. That's how the Elo system works.

Have you seen my post about the 16 nodes AI SimpleBot? This AI should keep you in the Grand Master League even if you currently have no access to a Sniper. Just spam a few matches and you should unlock it quickly: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=647

skygrid wrote:My suggestion would be to open up features when advancing in leagues. So if you reach grand master, all features would be available to you.

I think this is a really good idea, because I also remembered how much it sucked being in Grand Master League without a Sniper. You are playing against someone with a similar elo points score that has a Sniper and you know from the beginning on, that you will probably loose anyway...

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#3 » 27 Apr 2017, 13:31

skygrid wrote:My experience was something like:

My suggestion would be to open up features when advancing in leagues. So if you reach grand master, all features would be available to you.

I agree with this. The 70% win ratio though, damn all the other games that create a certain point of view, is useless. It like "I have 70% win ratio in slapping kids, I'm 50"

I also proposed a matchmaking to avoid matches between 2 levels of different XP. So level 5 vs level 6 is still somewhat acceptable. Level 5 vs level 7, there is little chance (this was not valid for TcT and T800).
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Captain Spock (Castlevania)
Automaton
Automaton

Post#4 » 27 Apr 2017, 19:33

This is just a different aspect of the current bot limitation problem. I remember the time when I was bullied by the snipers(though I was not talent enough to keep a 70% winning rate before that), I was thinking about quit too. I also remember how easy snipers are to use when I finally got access to them. That was really not a pleasant feeling when I felt that I lost simply because of missing features, not technical reasons.

Strictly speaking, snipers are stronger than assaults, but not stronger than other special classes. However, the advantages of classes such as shotgun are much harder to be exploited. I even don't know to use shotguns when I reached 1500. Recently, I indeed won many matches using shotgun as the only special class, but I do know that the only reason is that my enemies overlook some important defense aspect. The only way to balance the matches between sniper-owners and non-sniper-owners is either improving assault class stat or allowing players having numerically equivalent other special-classes if they don't use/have snipers.

pokerjunky
Hello World
Hello World

Post#5 » 29 Apr 2017, 09:00

[*] get beaten by snipers and AIs more advanced than what I had access to build (I guess)

This is being fixed in the next release. You'll unlock everything just by playing the tutorials. The code for it is already done. It should be out in a week or so, I think.

Bombafat
Script
Script

Post#6 » 29 Apr 2017, 09:54

pokerjunky wrote:
[*] get beaten by snipers and AIs more advanced than what I had access to build (I guess)

This is being fixed in the next release. You'll unlock everything just by playing the tutorials. The code for it is already done. It should be out in a week or so, I think.

uhm I don't think that this is confirmed. Is it? :?:

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#7 » 29 Apr 2017, 10:29

I confirm classes and AI features will be unlocked from the start in multiplayer.
Player will discover features one by one in the tutorials.
I don't have an ETA for alpha 8 though, tutorials are very long to craft.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#8 » 29 Apr 2017, 10:58

Yes, tutorials are time consuming but critical for the playerbase so take your time!
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Return to “General Discussions”