What is your ultimate objective in the game?

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

What is your ultimate objective in the game?

Post#1 » 23 Mar 2017, 18:57

I mean, first and foremost, as in every game, one has to have fun.

Then there is the obvious "improve your score compared to the score that you had".

But other than that?

I am stimulated by analyzing the game, producing FAQ, guides, statistics, tournaments to define who is able to excel in a certain category in a certain time period.

Anyway my ultimate objective in game is to have a tactic so foolproof, compared to the active playerbase, that my streaks would be very long and frequent, to the point that it gets boring. About this ritter, wozza, tct and nullpointer got close to my idea with average streaks of 50+ for the top3 streaks (1). My objective would be like having a minimum streak length of 50.

Therefore playing for almost complete dominance as side effect improves the score and in turn push higher the stats in all the unavoidable tournaments.

(1) viewtopic.php?f=7&t=580
Last edited by pier4r on 23 Mar 2017, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Re: What is your ultimate objective in the game?

Post#2 » 23 Mar 2017, 19:03

My sole objective is to not screw up.
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat

My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#3 » 23 Mar 2017, 19:05

Kanishka wrote:My sole objective is to not screw up.

It is a bit vague. When does it apply? Always? So is it like: ending up always winning?
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#4 » 23 Mar 2017, 19:08

pier4r wrote:
Kanishka wrote:My sole objective is to not screw up.

It is a bit vague. When does it apply? Always? So is it like: ending up always winning?

No. There's no fun in not losing. I just want to get to a point where I don't lose because I messed up, but where I lose because the other player had better tactics. (I don't rely on ELO for judging better players). Of course entering the Top 20 was a great achievement. I need to hold my score though...

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#5 » 23 Mar 2017, 19:26

Ah nice objective. I could buy it, but so far I always detected problems, maybe after some games, in my AI rather than better opponent tactics. Or better, could be that even with the fixes the opponent would have won, but it is difficult to check and to verify if another match on the same map would not have highlighted other problems in my code.

LuBeNo
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#6 » 23 Mar 2017, 20:22

I want to create a good AI, because I love programming. I want to climb high in the ladder, but I also want to be challenged by loosing games. It would be no fun if there would be no one to beat you. (I mean you Ritter Runkel, Mcompany, pikey, ... ;) )

It is fun to constantly improving some small details of the AI. Rewriting and beating the previous AI by using a different approach is also fun. It needs time to beat the previous AI, but sometimes you can't improve much, so you have to rewrite.
My algorithm of life: if(self.tired) sleep(); else if(self.hungry) eat(); else follow(Jesus);

harthag
Automaton
Automaton

Post#7 » 23 Mar 2017, 20:54

This game, I play to learn. My goal is to learn all I can from the gameplay

Castlevania
Automaton
Automaton

Post#8 » 24 Mar 2017, 00:57

I named my AI "wolves". I just like to see them hunting for preys. They should be keen, collaborate and fierce. However, as the opponents have higher scores, there are less preys to hunt.

By the way, I hate snipers.

harthag
Automaton
Automaton

Post#9 » 24 Mar 2017, 02:53

Castlevania wrote:By the way, I hate snipers.

Hate confronting enemy snipers? Or hate trying to use your own effectively? Either way, I feel your pain.

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#10 » 24 Mar 2017, 04:00

LuBeNo wrote:...

+1

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#11 » 24 Mar 2017, 09:05

I then suppose that you don't use them. :D

drartimus
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#12 » 26 Mar 2017, 09:22

pier4r wrote:

I then suppose that you don't use them. :D

I suppose if your AI is named "wolf" you naturally fear being hunted by a sniper. ;)

I play because of the multi-player and the endless improvement iteration cycle. As long as there are higher ranked players, I can do better.

I also dig Sebastian's style, he's a dev's dev. This game is brain fuel for software developers.
"If it acts like it's not running your code, it's probably not running your code." -- me, I say this all the GD time!

TheKidPunisher
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#13 » 26 Mar 2017, 15:09

I got the objective to reach the high score possible playing only assault bot and 1 common AI (what i do since the beginning)

Shishigami
Script
Script

Post#14 » 26 Mar 2017, 22:11

Originally I just wanted to try to climb to the last league starting from the last position with the lowest possible ELO. )o)
At the moment I'm more interested in optimal methods of collecting resources in the shortest time possible and counting the scoreboard.

Castlevania
Automaton
Automaton

Post#15 » 29 Mar 2017, 04:18

drartimus wrote:I suppose if your AI is named "wolf" you naturally fear being hunted by a sniper. ;)

Exactly, the enemy sniper breaks my every attempt to be offensive. And I find that the bots are unbalanced: The special bots are seemingly stronger than Assaults. However, I won several times against same-level players without shotguns or machine guns. But against them, I have never won a game in map such as SYP without a sniper. It doesn't means that it is unfair to players since everyone can use snipers as long as they get enough XP, but maybe, it limits the tactic diversity?

TheKidPunisher
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#16 » 29 Mar 2017, 18:30

I play only with assault and i won some games versus special robots compo ennemy team.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#17 » 01 Apr 2017, 10:09

pier4r wrote:. My objective would be like having a minimum streak length of 50.

To reach whatever goal one has to reach smaller milestones first. So, my immediate milestone (that I fail to achieve since almost 5000 games) is: first achieve a minimum streak of 50 against opponents with lower score (that would fit the bill for my ultimate goal when I'm in first position). But this means to not lose on every map against lower score players, so I break it again to achieve streaks on every single map against opponents of lower score. And so far even that fails, especially on the maps that requires too specializations like cod and mind game. Then meeting point is difficult too, then set your priority and so on. The most stable ones are seven wonders and split team in my opinion, so I may achieve the smaller milestone first on those maps.

bossbuk
Hello World
Hello World

Post#18 » 01 Apr 2017, 12:44

... to successfully reverse engineer

LuBeNo
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#19 » 01 Apr 2017, 15:10

bossbuk wrote:... to successfully reverse engineer

Other player AIs or the binary code in the windows registry containing the all your AI data?
My algorithm of life: if(self.tired) sleep(); else if(self.hungry) eat(); else follow(Jesus);

bossbuk
Hello World
Hello World

Post#20 » 01 Apr 2017, 15:42

LuBeNo wrote:
bossbuk wrote:... to successfully reverse engineer

Other player AIs or the binary code in the windows registry containing the all your AI data?
Other players' ai, to learn from others

Return to “General Discussions”