Why remove current target?

collot999
Script
Script

Why remove current target?

Post#1 » 24 Dec 2016, 16:23

Finally I did a good use from the currently target, but in the last update it got removed, why? D:
Now I need redo an important zone for my target selection subroutine (that did I won a good amount of battles)

Chunkymonkey
Automaton
Automaton

Re: Why remove current target?

Post#2 » 24 Dec 2016, 16:53

GFX47 explained it here.

http://gfx47.com/games/Gladiabots/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=190#p1972

Sorry but I won't restore the "currently targeted" target selector for now, I'm still convinced that the tagging system is a better solution for that and I prefer to have one generic system than several too specific ones.
It has always been a temporary solution to the persistent targeting problem but brought more questions than expected to newcomers.
I know the tagging system will need explanation for them too but at least it's a one shot.
Last edited by Chunkymonkey on 24 Dec 2016, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.

Chunkymonkey
Automaton
Automaton

Post#3 » 24 Dec 2016, 16:53

He also taking a holiday break for a week so might not reply immediately.

collot999
Script
Script

Post#4 » 24 Dec 2016, 17:02

Chunkymonkey wrote:GFX47 explained it here.

http://gfx47.com/games/Gladiabots/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=190#p1972

Sorry but I won't restore the "currently targeted" target selector for now, I'm still convinced that the tagging system is a better solution for that and I prefer to have one generic system than several too specific ones.
It has always been a temporary solution to the persistent targeting problem but brought more questions than expected to newcomers.
I know the tagging system will need explanation for them too but at least it's a one shot.

OK, type for the info :D
Maibe for now I have too a temporal solution for the target system but I need test it

collot999
Script
Script

Post#5 » 24 Dec 2016, 17:03

Chunkymonkey wrote:He also taking a holiday break for a week so might not reply immediately.

Dam it D:

Chunkymonkey
Automaton
Automaton

Post#6 » 24 Dec 2016, 23:13

collot999 wrote:OK, type for the info :D
Maibe for now I have too a temporal solution for the target system but I need test it

No worries.

Lol if it's any consolation, everyone is trying to find a solution too. :lol:

kjr
Script
Script

Post#7 » 25 Dec 2016, 10:02

There is a fairly painless way to create a completely exact "current target" system using the new tags. Change all your initial "attack" nodes to exclusive bot tag nodes with the same conditions. Then, prior to all the resulting bot tag nodes, add one node to attack that spcific bot tag. Finally, after all the bot tag nodes, add one node to remove all instances of the bot tag. Works great.

HBomb
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#8 » 25 Dec 2016, 12:23

kjr wrote:There is a fairly painless way to create a completely exact "current target" system using the new tags. Change all your initial "attack" nodes to exclusive bot tag nodes with the same conditions. Then, prior to all the resulting bot tag nodes, add one node to attack that spcific bot tag. Finally, after all the bot tag nodes, add one node to remove all instances of the bot tag. Works great.

+1.

MGBlitz81
Automaton
Automaton

Post#9 » 25 Dec 2016, 13:02

True, but your reaction time is slowed with the extra tic before and your next action is slowed thanks to the extra tic to remove the tag. I will say that it's better than it was though in 6.1.2 and the best alternative we have so far.

NullPointer
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#10 » 25 Dec 2016, 13:42

The complaint was never that we couldn't simulate Currently Target.

Chunkymonkey
Automaton
Automaton

Post#11 » 25 Dec 2016, 13:52

Respectfully... The reaction time argument is moot. Everyone works under the same conditions. Everyone who is using tagging will incur the same tick overhead for tagging and untagging.

The only reason that things are seem slower now is that currently targeted automated tagging and untagging in one tick but no one has access to it anymore so things are now only slow compared to the past but not in actual competition to anyone.

Return to “General Discussions”