What do you like about Gladiabots?

GFX47
Dev Team

What do you like about Gladiabots?

Post#1 » 21 Sep 2017, 00:19

Hey guys, I'm looking for arguments to contact the press about the game.
And honestly, I could need your external point of view to fill my list...

So, in your opinion:
What makes this game fun/enjoyable/rewarding?
What makes it unique?
What made you want to try it the first time you heard/read about it?

Thanks for your help ;)

TheKidPunisher
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Re: What do you like about Gladiabots?

Post#2 » 21 Sep 2017, 00:58

GFX47 wrote:What makes this game fun/enjoyable/rewarding?

Fun: Concept of futurist robot fighting in arena
Enjoyable: See the robots using yours AIs and how they evolve during matches
(more enjoyable when you destroy enemy 1 by 1)
Rewarding: When you see that your modification/implementation in AI is working well

GFX47 wrote:What makes it unique?

The simplicity of use (Really easy to learn AI editor [even if no english native with the pictures] but the complexity of AI you can made

GFX47 wrote:What made you want to try it the first time you heard/read about it?

When i read, i was attracted by the concept of "not directly play", i mean made AI and look how it works

I just have one more remark: this game is not for every one, you need to have some logic and reflexion; you cant do anything and then pray for it to work really good. i saw a lot of funny videos where some guys (many time child) are doing nlogical thing and get frustrated for not working

neoliminal
Script
Script

Post#3 » 21 Sep 2017, 03:19

The asynchronies of play really attracted me. I like making my plan, putting it out there and not having to worry about another player being online to get a response immediately. It's a style of play that suits my current play time, which is limited, so I can pick it up and put it down whenever I like.

Too many games now are twitch for multi-player or thinking, puzzle games for single player. This is an untapped market for thinking, multi-player games that don't require both players to be online at the same time. It's a whole genre, but it probably needs a more clever name.

Also, you should contact Unity. Doing this one your own, one man, one machine, is an amazing feat and I'm willing to bet they would feature you in their mailings. This is an incredibly well polished game you've got here and having done it all yourself is inspiring.

BTW, I got to play against you the other day, it was exciting. I knew I was going to lose from the opening seconds because your engagement is well defined and mine isn't, but it was still a thrill to play the developer. Thanks!
[Target closest post where post is type Sniper.]

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#4 » 21 Sep 2017, 05:16

GFX47 wrote:What makes this game fun/enjoyable/rewarding?

It is completely up to me, how I tackle problems. The process of making and polishing new and improved Bot Behaviors is really fun. When I see the Bots that are doing exactly what I told them to, no in-game assists, just what I myself programmed, it's totally rewarding.

Code: Select all

Any program that works is rewarding,
but anyway.

Also, making Choreographies and other not technically helpful AIs is fun and enjoyable. Heck my botched Choreos are even more fun. :lol:

GFX47 wrote:What makes it unique?

No other game gives us SO MUCH freedom. There are many innovations that take place in the Editor. ;) Also, HECK WE'RE PROGRAMMING BAD-ASS KILLER BOTS.

GFX47 wrote:What made you want to try it the first time you heard/read about it?

I love programming. I love Bots. I love Sci-Fi look and feel... First I saw the icon on the Play Store, and read the name... Sounded out of the box. Then I opened it up and gave the description a thorough reading. The idea was really unlike any game I'd played before. I saw the screenshots, looked rad, and since I didn't really care about what I stuffed into my phone, I pressed the Install button. That's how my journey started.

P.S. I really regret not finding you, and Gladiabots, at Alpha 1. That would have been sooo much fun.
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat

My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

GFX47
Dev Team

Post#5 » 21 Sep 2017, 13:25

neoliminal wrote:Also, you should contact Unity.

They are aware of the project and already helped me by allowing me to showcase it in one of their events last year.

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#6 » 21 Sep 2017, 15:42

GFX47 wrote:
neoliminal wrote:Also, you should contact Unity.

They are aware of the project and already helped me by allowing me to showcase it in one of their events last year.

Then why don't they give you free access to Unity Pro? ^^'
Afaik you shifted to Unity Personal, eh?

GFX47
Dev Team

Post#7 » 21 Sep 2017, 15:50

Kanishka wrote:Then why don't they give you free access to Unity Pro? ^^'

Why should they?

Jeffrey Harpen
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#8 » 22 Sep 2017, 00:06

What makes this game fun/enjoyable/rewarding? - Well, to see your bots winning it's like enjoying the success of your children: you are proud of yourself and you are proud of them, so it's double dose of satisfaction. :)
And, unlike the children, there is always something new you can teach them and they are learning very quickly. ;)

What makes it unique? - If it is for the press I would say playing Gladiabots people see with the future of the army, made of independent autonomous units, but honestly I am glad it's only a virtual war and not real. :?
"War is a problem, never a solution."

What made you want to try it the first time you heard/read about it? - In my life I played games like this (including CoreWars), so I knew what to expect and got what I wanted. I just really like this kind of fun. ;)

Athelinde
Script
Script

Post#9 » 22 Sep 2017, 00:30

I love games where there are problems to solve, that don't have predetermined (determined by the designer/programmer) answers. Where there are always more and different solutions possible. Also it is about brain power, not endless grinding (sometimes a little), or reflexes, but insight, creativity, analytical powers, and the ability to bring it back to basics.

What brought me to Gladiabots is that I was looking for something vaguely similar to "Omega" by Stuart B. Marks (published by Origin)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_(video_game)
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/29295/omega.html
A game I used to play in the early nineties (still have the box and manual). So all nostalgia. Gladiabots gives me the same feel, and is far more polished than for example RoboCode.

neoliminal
Script
Script

Post#10 » 22 Sep 2017, 01:45

Jeffrey Harpen wrote:What made you want to try it the first time you heard/read about it? - In my life I played games like this (including CoreWars), so I knew what to expect and got what I wanted. I just really like this kind of fun. ;)

Another CoreWars player? Wow. I thought we had all died.

I ran a server (Wasted Youth) back many many years ago with a KOTH. Spent way too much time on the usenet rec.games.corewars. Were you there? It's been so long I don't remember people by name anymore.
[Target closest post where post is type Sniper.]

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#11 » 22 Sep 2017, 10:58

I should write a wall of text for this entry. If I find the time.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#12 » 22 Sep 2017, 14:48

GFX47 wrote:
Kanishka wrote:Then why don't they give you free access to Unity Pro? ^^'

Why should they?

Coz you're a nice indie dev? :3

Jeffrey Harpen
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#13 » 22 Sep 2017, 16:24

neoliminal wrote:Spent way too much time on the usenet rec.games.corewars. Were you there? It's been so long I don't remember people by name anymore.
Yes, I was there, but under my real name - maybe that's why you don't recognize me. My first name is Lukasz and I had the motto mentioned above in my signature. I remember KoTH, but I have never got high. I was more successful playing KoFaCoTo and some IRC channel quick tournaments. That was fun! :)

barxxo
Hello World
Hello World

Post#14 » 25 Sep 2017, 10:47

I like Gladiabots cause of being one of the most challenging multiplayer games i know in terms of logical thinking. If you lost a fight you didn't think as well enough about your AI as your opponent did. No bad luck involved.

In addition i like it because this game doesn't give me a disatvantage for my being an elderly person in terms of fast reactions like most multiplayer games do :-)

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#15 » 25 Sep 2017, 12:17

barxxo wrote:No bad luck involved.

That will change with random maps, I am pretty sure.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Return to “General Discussions”