Moral support thread for our overlord...ehm dev!

darktheatre
Script
Script

Re: Moral support thread for our overlord...ehm dev!

Post#121 » 02 Aug 2018, 02:47

14 alpha pretty awesomeeee

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#122 » 07 Aug 2018, 14:00

Played a bit alpha 14.2 on android.

Graphics super pumped, no way to change it. Really a lot of work on it! it is still feasible on my tablet. What slows down my tablet (nvidia shield k1) are computational intensive AIs rather than graphic effects (although I am not a fan of them. I enjoy counters).

New filters. Awesome! Simplifying a lot the player life. Time left, positions, scoring, etc. Impressive. Sure, one can argue that with less tools the players that put more effort (and brain) in the game gets a more distinctive advantage, on the other side it is easier and less frustrating to achieve basic ideas like "Oh I wish I could keep track of the score but I don't want to make something heavy with tags".

So the strong players will still keep their advantage but it is more enjoyable for casual players now.

Ghost playerbase. Well this is an indirect result of the awesomeness of the game. In grandmaster the ghost playerbase is getting really massive. Surely this is helped by the inflation + fixed promotion score (1800 of today is not the 1800 of 6 months ago) but there are really an endless amount of ghosts if someone has few hours to play. Neat!

Once again unranked is also super neat for testing radical changes or to get an overview of the situation after a period of inactivity.

Ah the game is faster to load, although every 30 games I have to purge the local storage otherwise the game slows down a bit.

Also, although I don't use them, the skin combinations are amazing!
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#123 » 10 Aug 2018, 22:25

The sandbox options are pretty neat. Never used extensively but if one wants one can test a lot.

The possibility to jump back and forth from the debug window to the AI is also awesome.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Norljus
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#124 » 15 Aug 2018, 14:18

Thanks for improving the behavior of the ctrl key for multiselection on pc. It looks like a tiny thing, but for someone who has this behavior engrained in the subconcious the old way was a bit cumbersome.

ElvenMonk
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#125 » 15 Aug 2018, 22:58

Position filter is a best implementation in its simplicity for a feature I wanted to have the most so far: sides awareness.

Hairy Phil
Automaton
Automaton

Post#126 » 16 Aug 2018, 12:10

I like the shadows cast by the cage around the resource balls.

Nullpersona
Script
Script

Post#127 » 17 Aug 2018, 01:55

I could wax poetic about game features, but it is all overshadowed by how active, accessible, and friendly the dev is, especially for a solo gig.

ElvenMonk
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#128 » 17 Aug 2018, 19:09

I really enjoy the way, how GFX handles all those feature requests arriving every day, picks up the best, manages to keep the game consistent, while continuously improving most crucial aspects.

masterplayer
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#129 » 18 Aug 2018, 13:24

+1
:? I apologize for my childish name and my bad English.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#130 » 24 Aug 2018, 00:31

Just awesome the recent changes to the matchmaking. It is impressive how a component can improve a game (given that the game is quite mature)

The ghost part:
- at the moment it is: disable a ghost if it played at least 5 games and if it losed more than 50 points from the original score is great to give every ghost chances and to keep good ones around.
- This is way better than: keep the ghost around too long, or too little. 5 games and 50 points are better in deciding if the ghost can bounce back or not.
- If one listen to the people that say "oh noes inflation!" one listen to the wrong people, as absolute scores are never a good comparison with a metric that is based on differences of score. Plus for taking away points one has always "taxes" like properly spaced resets.
- I always prefer more opponents than a system without opponents because "oh noes new points!".

incremental score range to pick opponents.
Awesome again.
Yes, one has less variety and less upsets (the unexpected win/loss) but the advantages are way more valuable than the disadvantages.
- the battles are way more intense and close, that shows that the score formula doesn't lie. One can also check the win rate going around 50% for everyone.
- being the battles close, one has more chances to get an idea about what is going wrong. Instead of saying only "wtf!?"
- if one is raising (or dropping), one does it pretty quickly as the points gained or losed are substantial (although it is more valid for raising rather than dropping)
- the spectrum of available ghosts is much more utilized. As one fights first all the ghosts within 100 score points , therefore all the players that reached that score range (of which the ghosts didn't get disabled) are there to fight. Aside from the very top (2600+) there are enough opponent to go through the entire cooldown time without going over the 100 points score (at the moment the matchmaking checks first all the opponents within 100 points, then if none is eligible, checks those within 200 and so on).

I find it pretty awesome. Sure, there will be complains like "but my juicy win against the player with 300+ points!!!", but those are irrelevant for most part.

Hairy Phil
Automaton
Automaton

Post#131 » 07 Sep 2018, 19:57

I tried copying and pasting the contents of an AI, including the root node, and was expecting it to create a bug of having two roots, but it just converted it to a connector. I'm grateful that you thought of that!

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#132 » 20 Sep 2018, 08:14

Nice improvements on the stats page. The campaign page will be the most active likely (a bit like spacechem) and it will be motivating to optimize for the campaign.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#133 » 20 Sep 2018, 14:03

Also awesome improvement on the sorting of the columns of stats.gladiabots.com ! The bubble sort got replaced. Well done!

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#134 » 22 Sep 2018, 21:52

One can already see that the stats for the campaing are spicing up the competition. The multiplayer at first may receive less attention, but then the AIs will be much more polished (at least the new AIs, not those from players that already played plenty).

Ritter Runkel
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#135 » 25 Sep 2018, 20:12

I like the seasonal resets

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#136 » 26 Sep 2018, 11:48

Yes after much being against, as the score are quickly back as they were, it is nice to identify performances in time. A sort of unavoidable tournament.

I like them too.
I also like the new amazing features (comments, and or switch, etc..) but I still have to use them to pour my love here.
Also the incremental matchmaking is great too as it ensures around 50% "nonlosses" when a player hit a wall and it is much more bearable as before.

ElvenMonk
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#137 » 26 Sep 2018, 19:00

Can't choose what I love the most about recent update. Just everything!

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#138 » 03 Oct 2018, 13:27

Having the campaign stats in the multiplayer tab is a great way to tell to newcomers that they don't necessarily need to finish the campaign to be somewhat competitive online.

Although I'm sure many will be stuck with perfection trying to finish the campaign first.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#139 » 06 Oct 2018, 22:05

today I used my first comment. If I think that for 2+ years we played without comments with non trivial ais!

It is awesome. Thanks gfx!

And still I have to discover all the remaining gems of beta 2 and 2.1 !! This while 2.2 is in the workings.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#140 » 14 Oct 2018, 21:08

Can be just a case, but I didn't use unranked for a while. The current session seems much better than past ones. So maybe something was fixed. Much better: better opponents pick, closer to my XP range instead of feeling random.

Return to “General Discussions”