Local data is not always the last updated?

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Local data is not always the last updated?

Post#1 » 23 Feb 2018, 01:38

Scenario.

Playing gladiabots for quite some hours, nvidia shield k1, android 7,1.
Note, gladiabots used 142 mb of network traffic only today (not a little).
At the moment on the disk the the app uses 61.4 mb and the data is 34 mb, cache 41 mb.

When I switch from the game to telegram, every time that I switch back to the game, the game has to load again (normal, it was before so too) and it takes around one minute but then it asks always "data conflict, what do you want to choose? Server or local data?". Every, single time. Before it did not happen.

So in the last gladiabots session I noticed that the app was slow, so I quit (back to the menu, and then quict. The game even asked me "do you really want to quit?").

Then I opened the game again "sorry conflict!", to which, by mistake (I was tapping on the touchscreen since the loading time was extremely long, and I was unsure whether gladiabots crashed), I replied with "local data".

I thought "well, no problem, I have only one device, what could happen. The local data should be the best updated data" and instead no. A lot of changes are missing. Likely the changes in the last 60 minutes.

I remember that I read that there was implemented a solution that made the local data almost foolproof (if one used only one device). So how can it be not up to date?

Should I send the logs the next time it asks me for local or server data?

it was good though, without this setback, where I lost the last changes after a long debugging session. I wouldn't have stop playing. This game is dangerous, too addictive unless it messes up.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

drartimus
Algorithm
Algorithm

Re: Local data is not always the last updated?

Post#2 » 23 Feb 2018, 07:44

This doesn't answer your issue, but believe I have run into symptoms that sound similar or related.

I play on a Linux laptop and an Android tablet. My accounts are synced, and I actually use the tablet as a "stable" checkpoint of my AI state. I started doing this when over the summer, I lost a ton of work when I was off network for a week and accidentally synced with server when I had network again. I meant to keep local state and have it replace what was in the cloud.

Back to today, whenever I switch between my devices, I get the conflict message, but always pick local data. No problems so far, but when I do want to push my stable state to my tablet, I sometimes run into very subtle differences between the same AIs on tablet and laptop. Like the most recent changes don't always make it to the server. I wonder if there are some local changes that don't get synced from the laptop and that's the state I see on the tablet after it syncs from the cloud.

It happens so infrequently and un-reproducably, I just don't report it.
"If it acts like it's not running your code, it's probably not running your code." -- me, I say this all the GD time!

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#3 » 23 Feb 2018, 13:06

Understood but in my case the "local data" was older than my last changes. Like a session of 30 minutes of changes lost.

That sounds "new" as I would expect that, during a session, the local data is the most updated one. So if I quit gladiabots (no crashes, I mean gracefully quitting) and I have a conflict as I open it again, I would pick the local data that at least should be as new as the server data.

Well, it happens. The important part is that it does not happen often.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#4 » 23 Feb 2018, 21:19

I didn't change anything on the sync system recently.
Sounds like there are 2 problems:
1. Your local data can't be uploaded on the server, either you have a lot to sync, or your upload speed is not enough, or you quit the game while editing your AIs
2. The "keep local data" feature has an important bug

I'll make some tests on my side but you can send me logs of a classic or bugged session.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#5 » 24 Feb 2018, 14:26

GFX47 wrote:I didn't change anything on the sync system recently.
Sounds like there are 2 problems:
1. Your local data can't be uploaded on the server, either you have a lot to sync, or your upload speed is not enough, or you quit the game while editing your AIs
2. The "keep local data" feature has an important bug

I'll make some tests on my side but you can send me logs of a classic or bugged session.

Some more info. Since I updated to 12.x (the version before the update was 9.x)

I play 10-20 games and I edit the Ai between deployments. The game grows slower and slower (I see it because I see everything fast forward). Then normally at the end of a match, when it is already super slow, it crashes.

It did not crash so far in the middle of editing an AI (nor I minimized/quit the game while editing the AI). Then after the crash it asks me to get the data from the server or locally. Last time, as reported, I said "local data please" and it lost my last editing session. The last times I used "server data" and all went fine. Still I wonder how can be the server data updated, but the local not.

This because I have only one device attached to gladiabots with pier4r nvidia k1 (the nvidia shield k1), nothing else, so there should be almost never a conflict.

Update: also when it crashes and asks me whether to get the server data, the game does not remember my last deployed matches. I need to download them again.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#6 » 25 Feb 2018, 13:45

Anyway since gladiabots has massive IO requests at times, I moved it from the external sd card (that is not that fast) to the internal storage. Let's see what happens.

Return to “Bug Reports”