Bot won't pick up resource

drartimus
Algorithm
Algorithm

Bot won't pick up resource

Post#1 » 19 Feb 2018, 06:56

This bug doesn't happen on every match, but in the matches it happens in, it always happens. I have an AI that uses tags for calling "dibs" on resources so they all get picked up faster. I even go so far as to make a brigade, so that faster bots can trade with slower bots. It doesn't look like the tag update caused this, but I can't say that for certain. I do know this didn't happen before Alpha 12.

Here's a snapshot before the bug, everything is working fine, the machine gun is trying to capture the A resource in short range (in this AI, only machine gun tags with A)...

Here's the moment (the bug) where the logic switched off that node to a node it got stuck on...

My notes:
1. What should have happened is the resource A should have been picked up, but it looks like that node stopped returning true.
2. I would have also expected that once the bot was as close as to the resource as it could get (not pictured), that the logic would flow to the next node, then maybe switch right back, getting into a loop. This didn't happen, that move to closest resource node stayed lit (maybe a separate bug, maybe not a bug).
3. It also looks like the node to tag A, the closest resource in short range is returning true, but that action on that resource was completed many seconds earlier. Should that node light up like it's still happening?
"If it acts like it's not running your code, it's probably not running your code." -- me, I say this all the GD time!

Hairy Phil
Automaton
Automaton

Re: Bot won't pick up resource

Post#2 » 19 Feb 2018, 10:29

It looks like the shotgun is tagging that resource a different letter, so the machinegun has to keep tagging it A again.

Hairy Phil
Automaton
Automaton

Post#3 » 19 Feb 2018, 10:34

Because it seems to occur the moment the shotgun scores.

drartimus
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#4 » 19 Feb 2018, 14:46

I don't believe that's the case, but I won't say it can't be (in the AI that's not posted, shotgun uses only D tags, because has lowest priority for stealing. Machine guns walks fastest while carrying, so it's top priority and tags with A. The resource on the right of machine gun is marked B and C (Sniper and assault). I could post my AI, but I don't like sharing. 8-)

Are there instructions for posting a video? I use Linux or Android.

I'll check my AI again, see if there is a silent tagging battle going on between bots.
"If it acts like it's not running your code, it's probably not running your code." -- me, I say this all the GD time!

drartimus
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#5 » 20 Feb 2018, 05:31

So I followed the logic of the shotgun, and a lot more behavior is different than I expect. My tagging and untagging actions happen in a different sequence than pre Alpha 12. The instant tagging has basically reversed the way the branches execute. Right branches are taking precedence over left branches and I'm afraid many of my AIs are pretty jacked, which is completely demotivating. The set I'm on I developed over 8 months.

Hairy Phil
Automaton
Automaton

Post#6 » 20 Feb 2018, 10:53

Well, I wouldn't recommended spending much time trying to fix them now, because when the Leader bot class arrives, only he will have the ability to tag.

WASP103
Script
Script

Post#7 » 20 Feb 2018, 11:01

Hairy Phil wrote:Well, I wouldn't recommended spending much time trying to fix them now, because when the Leader bot class arrives, only he will have the ability to tag.

WHAT!! Main screen turn on!
Where can I read about that?

Hairy Phil
Automaton
Automaton

Post#8 » 20 Feb 2018, 11:08

WASP103
Script
Script

Post#9 » 20 Feb 2018, 11:24

Thanks for the heads-up! Commented there to not drift this thread.

drartimus
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#10 » 20 Feb 2018, 14:45

Hairy Phil wrote:Well, I wouldn't recommended spending much time trying to fix them now, because when the Leader bot class arrives, only he will have the ability to tag.

That's kind of what I was wondering. I know the game is Alpha, and that means to expect breaking changes. Still sucks to lose a pile of work that evolved after a long time. Last Summer, I lost a couple weeks of heavy changes in a user error, server out of sync event. I stopped playing for 2 months because I was so down.

This instant tagging has mad me consider rounding up my various tagging branches into one AI. I also have an old tagless targeting tree I might dust off.

It still bugs me that tag execution is basically in reverse than the rest of the game. It's counterintuitive from the training and I think noobs will find that harder to grasp.

WASP103
Script
Script

Post#11 » 20 Feb 2018, 15:23

it's not the execution that is reverse. they are executed in left to right order.
eg: untag "1" from all enemies with "1" tag and the next command being tag "+1" to closest enemy still ends up in having your closest enemy tagged as "1".

As I pointed out in my other reply in your other tag related thread here:
https://forum.gladiabots.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1319#p15247

Those problems only occur when overlapping actions for the same tags are tried to be executed. In those cases, the last issued command wins and negates all that was done before.

Which still makes perfect sense if you keep that fact in mind: Untag all1 AFTER you've tagged 1, deletes said tag. Just keep an eye open for overlapping accesses to the same tags.

I think tag kung-fu is really worth the hassle <3

And btw, all three of your threads there are sharing that common ground of overlapping tag commands.
Once you get tagging responsibilities ordered, you will fix them all at once :)

drartimus
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#12 » 20 Feb 2018, 15:41

WASP103 wrote:Those problems only occur when overlapping actions for the same tags are tried to be executed. In those cases, the last issued command wins and negates all that was done before.

This is my point. I may have 3 enemies to tag, but I want to tag the highest priority one in a left branch. What happens is the lowest priority one gets tagged in a right branch because execution didn't reset. This give later executing branches more priority over earlier ones (for tagging) this is what I mean by reversed.

Ever other part of this game doesn't operate this way. The left most action happens before everything else, then execution starts over. Instant tags breaks this behavior.

drartimus
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#13 » 20 Feb 2018, 15:45

WASP103 wrote:And btw, all three of your threads there are sharing that common ground of overlapping tag commands.
Once you get tagging responsibilities ordered, you will fix them all at once :)

They were ordered, for like a year, some mob got the dev to change how the execution flow works. :lol:

WASP103
Script
Script

Post#14 » 20 Feb 2018, 16:33

drartimus wrote:
WASP103 wrote:(...)
Ever other part of this game doesn't operate this way. The left most action happens before everything else, then execution starts over. Instant tags breaks this behavior.

My arguments exactly. UX wise, it's a no-go. Especially in this undocumented state without a proper tutorial covering this behaviour.

If you manage to set that frustration aside, imagine what you could do with instant, last wins, tags.

I'm not quite ready to put my AI into ranked matches yet. But I think some ppl will be frustrated with it :D

drartimus
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#15 » 21 Feb 2018, 08:09

Man, what a turd I am, I forgot to say thank you, Hairy Phil! For the troubleshooting and recommendation.

Hairy Phil
Automaton
Automaton

Post#16 » 21 Feb 2018, 09:32

No problem, you're welcome.

Return to “Bug Reports”