[Alpha 7.9] Monetization

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Re: [Alpha 7.9] Monetization

Post#101 » 14 Mar 2017, 19:39

Why not keep it in such a way that:

• You get things by paying
  • Those things don't give you unfair advantage.
  • Those things can be earned by playing.

So existing players don't get screwed. I think we can pair Pier's idea with my XP Marketplace idea.

NOTE: XP CAN'T BE BOUGHT, ONLY EARNED

You play. You buy in-game accessories with XP.

OR

You don't play so much. You buy in-game accessories with real money.

That way no one is left out if they don't pay. So instead of pay-to-win or pay-to-play, we have pay-or-play, both of which are valuable to the Gladiabots Ecosystem.
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat

My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#102 » 14 Mar 2017, 19:44

Yes that would be a good tradeoff. Getting things that are nice to have but without any advantage during the fight, that either are bought or earned with tons of games played like using xp as devised by the current system. (so mcompany would be extra rich)
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#103 » 14 Mar 2017, 20:24

pier4r wrote:Yes that would be a good tradeoff. Getting things that are nice to have but without any advantage during the fight, that either are bought or earned with tons of games played like using xp as devised by the current system. (so mcompany would be extra rich)

Not for long. Here you can actually spend XP.

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#104 » 14 Mar 2017, 21:03

Visual customization (color, models, animations) could follow this model: either won via tournaments or paid.

harthag
Automaton
Automaton

Post#105 » 14 Mar 2017, 21:53

GFX47 wrote:Visual customization (color, models, animations) could follow this model: either won via tournaments or paid.

Since you bring up tournaments, I'd suggest 2 categories:
1. Things you can get with xp or $
2. Things you can get with $ or tournament wins (I'd think these should be more expensive in terms of $, compared to the first category)

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#106 » 14 Mar 2017, 22:28

I'd also like to keep some "items" reserved to tournament victors to reward merit above money.

harthag
Automaton
Automaton

Post#107 » 14 Mar 2017, 22:36

GFX47 wrote: merit above money.

I like that concept also.

Mix and match the categories as needed ;)

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#108 » 15 Mar 2017, 01:17

With achievers, that is the ones that play for glory (me), already giving out special badges would be great. Because no one else or very few would have them.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#109 » 15 Mar 2017, 04:59

GFX47 wrote:I'd also like to keep some "items" reserved to tournament victors to reward merit above money.

Bullseye! That's what we need! Too sad that I won't win with Ritter, Mcompany and Pier hovering above me. I even get the occasional Wozza.

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#110 » 15 Mar 2017, 05:01

GFX47 wrote:Visual customization (color, models, animations) could follow this model: either won via tournaments or paid.

So... These ones are better in-app-accessories? Coz winning tournament requires victories, while just playing gets you XP.

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#111 » 15 Mar 2017, 07:42

Kanishka wrote:

So... These ones are better in-app-accessories? Coz winning tournament requires victories, while just playing gets you XP.

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#112 » 15 Mar 2017, 15:18

GFX47 wrote:I'm not sure I understand your question.

Lemme explain monsieur.

• IAP Type 1
    • Bought with XP.
    • Bought with X $.
  • IAP Type 2
    • Bought with winning tournaments. (Or more XP than IAP Type 1.)
    • Bought with Y $.

Here, Y > X. No purchase will ever give you unfair advantage. I prefer XP Marketplace, but tournament rewards could be implemented for more premium in-app-accessories.
Thing is, you get XP whenever you play. To win a tournament, you must score victories. So IAP Type 2 is more premium, and harder to get.
Or, better still, you could win XP in tournaments, so the ideas coexist.

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#113 » 15 Mar 2017, 23:52

Nothing sure about the details yet, let's test tournaments first ;)

harthag
Automaton
Automaton

Post#114 » 15 Mar 2017, 23:54

GFX47 wrote: let's test tournaments first ;)

Ready when you are :D

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#115 » 16 Mar 2017, 03:59

GFX47 wrote:let's test tournaments first ;)

Then keep XP Rewards for the tournaments please. Or I will never win. :(

*evil smile at wozza on mind game*

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#116 » 16 Mar 2017, 04:01

GFX47 wrote:Nothing sure about the details yet

I'm full of ideas. Call me when you need me. Happy to help. ;)

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#117 » 06 May 2017, 13:01

Seeing the trend of match activity, going dowards since the game can be bought, I believe even more that to leave the multiplayer healthy the game should be freemium like. Otherwise it seems that the amount of available matches will just shrink until the multiplayer will be less appealing.

Another possibility is to collapse all the leagues and make dynamic leagues with score limits (and xp limits, avoiding that people with more than 2 xp levels of difference play against each other). So the activity per league, since there will be one league, will raise. Like:
- given the maximum score and the lowest score of active players.
- if a player has a score that is 300 points or more distant from the maximum score or the lowest score, he can match players with a score such that absolute_value(player.score - opponent.score) <= 200. (so "small" dynamic leagues)
- if a player is within 300 points of the lowest score or the top score then he can match opponents such that absolute_value(player.score - opponent.score) <= 400 . (actually this step needs a bit more refinement but it is just to give the idea.

Maybe the leagues can also stay but the limit interleague can go. so a 1400 player can match down to 1200 and up to 1600.

While a 1900 player, if the maximum is 2200, can match up to 2200 and down to 1500. So the top and bottom players will likely still match interleague but without having too unfair matches.

As usual, if GFX needs a bit more simulations, I am happy to help with a model to see what happens.

Ritter Runkel
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#118 » 07 May 2017, 11:38

I mentioned that too. There are less people in grandmaster being active enough. I would say that 20 players make 90% of the matches (didn't check the numbers).

I'm a little bit afraid about that development. Maybe there could be a model to give free matches per time (2 matches per hour for free e.g.) so player could play occasionally for free. Once they are cought, they will pay to play more. Otherwise only a few of them would pay money after only some few matches.

Maybe also some bot classes could only be used after purchasing the game?

And money for customization is a great idea too, especially on combination with tournaments

TheKidPunisher
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#119 » 07 May 2017, 15:10

Ritter Runkel wrote:Maybe also some bot classes could only be used after purchasing the game?

It would be considered by no-paying player like a pay2win game.

Ritter Runkel wrote:And money for customization is a great idea too, especially on combination with tournaments

The actual games which are more lucrative actually are the game where you pay to accelerate or customize

Ritter Runkel
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#120 » 07 May 2017, 15:17

TheKidPunisher wrote:It would be considered by no-paying player like a pay2win game.

True, that's not so cool

Return to “Devlog”