[youtube]QAvE314wtfk[/youtube]

harthag
Automaton
Automaton

Re: AI editor improvements

Post#2 » 14 Feb 2017, 19:45

I think this is very similar to what name101 was trying to describe here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=458
I like it. It will make it easier for those of us that are non-programmers (other than this game) to keep track of what our nodes are doing and why. I really like it !

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#3 » 14 Feb 2017, 19:56

Name101's request is actually much more complicated but that's kind of the spirit, yeah.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#4 » 14 Feb 2017, 19:59

Oh this is like presets (yeah like the name101 proposal). It is going to be a huge help.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Trigary
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#5 » 14 Feb 2017, 19:59

My first thoughts:
While it speeds up the creation of new AIs, if you want to refine your existing ones, the older method is probably better. If you want to change the filters, you have to create a new a new target, you can't modify your current configuration. If you would create a "convert to action" button on the condition node, you could just copy the node and hit that button, the outcome would be the same in the shown case (but with the feature you showed us you can save targets and use them anywhere).

mcompany
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#6 » 14 Feb 2017, 22:11

Yeah, I kinda agree with Trigary. While the new improvements seems cool and makes it easier to copy nodes and turn them into conditions, but it makes it MUCH harder to do any quick edits or make nodes quickly

harthag
Automaton
Automaton

Post#7 » 14 Feb 2017, 22:16

After reading Trigary's and mcompany's posts above, my gut quickly said they were both very right ... but I went back to the video, and I don't see any evidence there that editing will be a significant issue. I'm curious what that concern is based on? What makes you think this change would make editing harder, instead of easier? Can you give examples or more detailed explanation of what you mean? I'm genuinely interested, because I really want to like this new concept, but I'm worried I missed something (due to being a non-programmer) that is important here ... ?

mcompany
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#8 » 14 Feb 2017, 22:44

The thing I'm worried about is that almost all of my conditions is ”if any ___ (tons of filters) exists”, and it looks like the only way to access filters is too make a new target and then switch to that new target (rather than having a way to directly set the filters for that node)

harthag
Automaton
Automaton

Post#9 » 14 Feb 2017, 23:14

Ok, that's what I thought you meant. But when I looked back at the vid, it only shows creating new 'targets', it doesn't show (for good or for bad) what options exist in the new system for editing existing 'targets'. This certainly opens the question of how easy it would be to edit them ... BUT ... it also does not rule out the possibility that it is as easy, or easier, than the current set up. I think we need more info on editing existing taregts before I can pass judgement, personally.

mcompany
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#10 » 15 Feb 2017, 00:07

Actually, around 2:35 gfx reopens the condition he just made and it leads back to the same menu that he made the condition in, which still doesn't look like there is any way to update the filters

ConsciouS-0nE
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#11 » 15 Feb 2017, 07:32

Woah awesome! I like it.

I think you can still
Edit delete the presets as ive seen when gfx clicked the action node the option still apeared in a cool way;
-pencil(edit)
-copy
-trash(delete)

//
What if im a new player?
With just given limited things to design with, just 'closest?'
Before showing the '+new target'

I thinkk that would beeee,
Fine? I dont know.

Its because when were new players, we got unlimited options, so we can 'experiment'/trial and error, which got us here.

What if im an old player but restarted from scratch?

The same complaints about "ugh i have to do the tutorials again!"

But that does make sense to me,
Imagine if you became a baby again but all your knowledge is still there,
You complain about "ugh i know how to walk but i cant walk"
Thats because your 'body' cant, it needs 'progress'/'development' for other things to be done again.
Im not the best player, but atleast im something.I'm 8
Science is madness! 3:)

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#12 » 15 Feb 2017, 10:34

Okay... Now's the first time I saw the video. My thoughts:
  • Your voice rocks.
  • I did NOT have trouble grasping the system when I was a new player. And, since I'm used to this super-complicated UI, I'd prefer a Toggle Switch to choose whether I'm comfortable with the old UI or not. Or it could be based on XP Level.
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat

My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

harthag
Automaton
Automaton

Post#13 » 15 Feb 2017, 16:26

Ok:

From the perspective of creating new stuff, this is awesome.

I'm still on the fence on editing existing stuff, pending more complete information about exactly how it would work.

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#14 » 25 Feb 2017, 19:11

Added an "edit target" button leading to the "old" interface.

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#15 » 25 Feb 2017, 19:36

GFX47 wrote:Added an "edit target" button leading to the "old" interface.

\o/
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat

My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

harthag
Automaton
Automaton

Post#16 » 26 Feb 2017, 01:00

GFX47 wrote:Added an "edit target" button leading to the "old" interface

I like that a lot!

Question ... will edits to the "target", using that new button, affect all AIs and subroutines that are already using that particular target? Or just that one instance of the target?

For example: If a player has 1 AI already built, that uses a custom target, "weakest enemy" in addition to the default "closest enemy". When building a second, new, AI the player selects the target "weakest enemy" but edits it to add a range limit. Will the new range limit on the "weakest enemy" custom 'target' be affected on both the original AI and the new AI? Or only on the new AI?

PPS
Automaton
Automaton

Post#17 » 26 Feb 2017, 16:32

Что-то я не вижу нового редактора...
Something I do not see the new editor...

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#18 » 26 Feb 2017, 18:18

They are gif images, maybe your browser is blocking them?
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

PPS
Automaton
Automaton

Post#19 » 26 Feb 2017, 18:53

pier4r wrote:They are gif images, maybe your browser is blocking them?

Новый редактор как я понимаю в игре...
The new editor as I understand it in the game...

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#20 » 27 Feb 2017, 00:12

harthag wrote:Question ... will edits to the "target", using that new button, affect all AIs and subroutines that are already using that particular target? Or just that one instance of the target?

Only the instance.

Return to “Devlog”