63%
Focus on multiplayer
38%

Total votes: 8

GFX47
Dev Team

Going 100% multiplayer

Post#1 » 06 Nov 2017, 00:50

Right now, the most interesting part in Gladiabots comes from the career/multiplayer mode.
The problem is it needs as many players as possible to be entertaining.

Another problem is that most players don't even try career mode, they play practice mode and consider they finished the game when all missions are completed, never tasting the real challenge.

That's why I'm thinking about removing the practice/solo mode altogether and funnel the player in career mode as soon as possible (once basic training is complete).

What do you think?

mcompany
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Re: Going 100% multiplayer

Post#2 » 06 Nov 2017, 02:18

GFX47 wrote:Another problem is that most players don't even try career mode, they play practice mode and consider they finished the game when all missions are completed, never tasting the real challenge.

That's why I'm thinking about removing the practice/solo mode altogether and funnel the player in career mode as soon as possible (once basic training is complete).

What do you think?

I feel like that won't change anything. I feel those players would be the same few who goes "well, I don't feel like trying so hard online, so I'm not bothering" and would end up quiting the game more. Also, I feel like not keeping any sort of consistent starting matches also takes away any sort of real preparation for real matches. I mean, the many of the players in silver consistently loses to completely unedited AIs as it already is, and those unedited AIs don't even have retreats. Also, I sometimes actually use the practice missions to test certain things about my AIs, so I honestly don't think that having some inspiration from the missions is inherently unhelpful for online. Imo, going multiplayer only seems like a bad idea.

Revenge
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#3 » 06 Nov 2017, 02:53

I love the challenge of multiplayer. I'm fine with going the multiplayer route as long as there is compensation for dismissing single player campaign by increasing online interaction and customization. ^.^

LuBeNo
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#4 » 06 Nov 2017, 05:45

IMO single player should stay. Some of the practice levels are really hard, perhaps the difficulty should be lowered so that there is no "wall" in front of career.

IMO creating a trophy room with many achievements for multiplayer would help (both visibility and motivation). Like this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=985&p=14177#p14177
My algorithm of life: if(self.tired) sleep(); else if(self.hungry) eat(); else follow(Jesus);

Revenge
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#5 » 06 Nov 2017, 13:52

Damn lubeno, that list looks clean.
+1 for effort. Interesting idea.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#6 » 06 Nov 2017, 19:04

mcompany wrote:I feel like that won't change anything. I feel those players would be the same few who goes "well, I don't feel like trying so hard online, so I'm not bothering" and would end up quiting the game more.

This. A possibility is to put "harder" AIs picking AIs from 1400-1500 players of a given map.

So a mission would have the base challenge and the 1400 challenge.

The trophies helps too.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Ritter Runkel
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#7 » 06 Nov 2017, 20:12

I like the idea. Maybe there could be one or two maps to give some more confidence.

And+1 to the trophies.

darktheatre
Script
Script

Post#8 » 07 Nov 2017, 05:13

The most hate part while playing new game is how to understand that game work.
do not remove the practice, they may most hate when always lose.
give the game more enjoy.
agree focus on multiplayer,but do not remove enjoyable part.

my suggestion:
only 3 static map in practice

GFX47
Dev Team

Post#9 » 07 Nov 2017, 18:21

Moved the achievement related posts to the correct topic ;)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=985

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#10 » 07 Nov 2017, 18:27

GFX47 wrote:Moved the achievement related posts to the correct topic ;)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=985

Nice
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat

My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

GFX47
Dev Team

Post#11 » 09 Nov 2017, 00:50

OK, I'll continue to work on the practice mode.
I'm working on an infinite mission list using anonymized AIs coming from the multiplayer.
I'll pick AIs from players at an increasing ELO score.

darktheatre
Script
Script

Post#12 » 09 Nov 2017, 05:48

GFX47 wrote:OK, I'll continue to work on the practice mode.
I'm working on an infinite mission list using anonymized AIs coming from the multiplayer.

Absolutely more enjoying :mrgreen:

ai drone
Script
Script

Post#13 » 09 Nov 2017, 07:00

I think this idea would be really good as it will give the new gamer a better chance to learn more as well as being more challenging.

Curious question for all though, do your elaborate ai's defeat ALL of the practice levels without modification?!

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#14 » 12 Nov 2017, 13:47

That is a nice idea that was suggested long ago: possible drawback, when the AI are garbage due to engine resolution changes.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Return to “Updates”