Dev
Dev

Alpha 9.1

Post#1 » 21 Jul 2017, 20:42

I'd like to release this one ASAP.
I need your testing skills!

Windows build
Android build

Warning: this build uses a new resolution engine version so Alpha 9 and lower matches will be unplayable.

0x1de
Automaton
Automaton

Re: Alpha 9.1 (RC)

Post#2 » 21 Jul 2017, 22:49

Ooh, medals.

Stats page still has me as 478, though.

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#3 » 21 Jul 2017, 22:50

The stats website will be updated once 9.1 gets released.
In the meantime: http://stats.gladiabots.com/?v=900

0x1de
Automaton
Automaton

Post#4 » 21 Jul 2017, 23:14

Oh it wasn't a big deal, just thought I'd mention it.

You might want to consider the autozoom.
1. The button turns it on, but not off. People can be picky about that sort of thing.
2. It whizzes about too much, jumps when a bot goes out of bounds, and zooms in way too much sometimes (eg when there's only one bot left). Needs some hysteresis.
I liked initially, but now I normally turn it off. Just my opinion of course.

0x1de
Automaton
Automaton

Post#5 » 22 Jul 2017, 00:07

Sod it, just release it. I'm bored of only playing mrchris. No offence to mrchris.
Last edited by 0x1de on 22 Jul 2017, 00:32, edited 1 time in total.

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#6 » 22 Jul 2017, 00:13

Would you guys have the time to test the tutorials?

TheKidPunisher
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#7 » 22 Jul 2017, 00:18

I will tomorrow.

0x1de
Automaton
Automaton

Post#8 » 22 Jul 2017, 00:32

I'll give them a go tomorrow too.

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#9 » 22 Jul 2017, 00:45

Thanks guys! <3

MrChris
Automaton
Automaton

Post#10 » 22 Jul 2017, 00:47

0x1de wrote:Sod it, just release it. I'm bored of only playing mrchris. No offence to mrchris.

That hurts
------------------------------------------------
My in-game name is MrChris

Creator of the unofficial Gladiabots stats page: https://gladiabots-stats.info.tm/mrchris
And the Gladiabots retreatment simulator: https://cmrichards.github.io/glad_simulation

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#11 » 22 Jul 2017, 05:27

Congrats on the release! Good job on this one!
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat

My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

mcompany
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#12 » 22 Jul 2017, 07:42

GFX47 wrote:Would you guys have the time to test the tutorials?

I haven't noticed anything so far, so unless someone else sees something I thing you are good

LuBeNo
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#13 » 22 Jul 2017, 09:46

GFX47 wrote:Would you guys have the time to test the tutorials?

Tested. They are fine.

Thank you for letting us choose maps in unranked games and private matches.

LuBeNo wrote:1) Game camera automatic movement
Needs some kind of smoothing. If a bot at the border dies, a shotgun runs far away and comes back or if you fast forward, the camera should not use the optimal position, but instead move there like a real camera man would do. It should accelerate at the beginning, move with constant speed and decelerate at the end. When a camera moves to the new position and another bot dies, it should keep the momentum fading to the new velocity vector. (when I talk about position, i mean x, y and z)

I saw the smoothing is implemented in Alpha 9.1. Perhaps it was in Alpha 9 and I didn't mention. IMO it is still not as good as it can be.

IMO the camera move speed should be slower. (Factor 0.7?)
But the main problem is fast forward. It looks like the camera move speed is also speed up. (IMO it should not)
My algorithm of life: if(self.tired) sleep(); else if(self.hungry) eat(); else follow(Jesus);

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#14 » 22 Jul 2017, 11:19

Suggestion: For Map selection, add thumbnails. Just white triangles (Bots), white squares (Bases) and white circles (Resources) on a grey background (like the rest of the game (eg. node design) to give an idea of layout.
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat

My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#15 » 22 Jul 2017, 11:34

Thanks guys, I'm rolling out 9.1.

0x1de
Automaton
Automaton

Post#16 » 22 Jul 2017, 12:46

evilgeenius2 wrote:
0x1de wrote:Sod it, just release it. I'm bored of only playing mrchris. No offence to mrchris.

That hurts

Sorry, it's nothing to do with you personally. I should have said "the same player".

0x1de
Automaton
Automaton

Post#17 » 22 Jul 2017, 12:54

I only had a chance to work through the first few tutorials. Minor mistakes in your English, and one time the node text popped up half off the screen. Rest of the game looks good.

TheKidPunisher
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#18 » 22 Jul 2017, 15:21

Ok so good job, i have only few remarks.

You have to force people to use the if conditon for the «secure the ressource», we still can put link everywhere, so someone who doesnt understand willput a link between the root and condition and another between root and action so condition isnt used.
Plus, for me, you can to both catch and secure in same tuto (not a problem if you still separate them)

Optimization tutorial are too much at the begining of the tuto. I think that their place are much after the «A or B » and «A and B»

During tuto you talk about left branch priority which is wrong actually. Correct tuto to explain it is left node position priority or correct ypur game to really have a left branch priority.

The rest is good (i cant correct your english i am not good at it but i understand the sentence)

MrChris
Automaton
Automaton

Post#19 » 22 Jul 2017, 23:18

Freeplay seems totally pointless to me and it will only stop people from playing ranked games.

Presumably, it was added so we can test changes without affecting our ELO? If I want to test some extreme changes then I can just play normal ranked games. If the changes don't work then I can just revert the changes and quickly get back my ELO.

Nobody is ever perfectly happy with their AI and there are always improvments to be made. If people only experimented with changes in freeplay mode then ranked mode would never be used.

The whole point of this game is to vary your AI and see if it works and see how your elo is affected. I really don't see the need for Freeplay at all - i think it will confuse new players who won't be sure when to play freeplay or ranked. Some players will play mostly ranked, and others will play freeplay and then occassionally ranked, and some a mix, and the result will be that we all miss out becausse there won't be enough ranked or freeplay games in the quere.

Also, playing freeplay game against players with a 1000 delta is annoying as you are forced into watching it.
------------------------------------------------
My in-game name is MrChris

Creator of the unofficial Gladiabots stats page: https://gladiabots-stats.info.tm/mrchris
And the Gladiabots retreatment simulator: https://cmrichards.github.io/glad_simulation

LuBeNo
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#20 » 22 Jul 2017, 23:27

Shouldn't there be a new map in Alpha 9.1? Or am I missing something?
My algorithm of life: if(self.tired) sleep(); else if(self.hungry) eat(); else follow(Jesus);

Return to “Release candidates”