Alpha 12.1

Athelinde
Algorithm
Algorithm

Re: Alpha 12.1

Post#21 » 22 Feb 2018, 12:55

I don't know what is the matter, but Alpha12.1 doesn't work on my Linux laptops. I can start it up, but mouse doesn't interact with Gladiabots, and on top of that there are screenpainting artifacts (edges distort). With keyboard I have only managed to quit the game (ESC + Enter).So at this moment unusable.

Also starting from itch the game just starts without giving me the dialog for screen options. I mention this because in the past when the mouse didn't interact, I took Gladiabots out of full screen mode and then the mouse generally did work, so right now don't see how to try if it works without fullscreen.

GFX47
Dev Team

Post#22 » 22 Feb 2018, 23:19

pier4r wrote:I'm trying the follow the "ghosts" histories in the stats page. They gain and lose points, great, but which ai do they use? The last deployed?

Since last patch, only the latest voluntary deployment can be picked.

pier4r wrote:What happens when the ghost get more points than the player? It is simply so and that's it?

Nothing, ghosts and players ratings are separated.

GFX47
Dev Team

Post#23 » 22 Feb 2018, 23:22

@Athelinde

You install issues have become really hard to track.
Maybe it's time for a fresh install on one of your computer, stick to it and they I can try to sync and retrieve old AIs?

GFX47
Dev Team

Post#24 » 22 Feb 2018, 23:43

mumpsimus wrote:Unfortunately, I do think I found a new bug:

closestresource.PNG

(there are no other resources out of frame)

Maybe it's the similar thing to the closest ally bug where the resource counts itself as closest?

Confirmed

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#25 » 23 Feb 2018, 01:04

GFX47 wrote:
pier4r wrote:I'm trying the follow the "ghosts" histories in the stats page. They gain and lose points, great, but which ai do they use? The last deployed?

Since last patch, only the latest voluntary deployment can be picked.

Cool, so the "ghost" is actually the player himself simulated. This makes them even more interesting.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Athelinde
Algorithm
Algorithm

Re: Alpha 12.1 (KDE Neon)

Post#26 » 23 Feb 2018, 08:08

GFX47 wrote:@Athelinde

You install issues have become really hard to track.
Maybe it's time for a fresh install on one of your computer, stick to it and they I can try to sync and retrieve old AIs?

This is completely seperate from the other issues, because these haven't had any issues before. All the other issues were on the Windows install. And happened since I had to reinstall Windows.

This time it is specific to Linux and all my Linux installs (1 desktop + 2 laptops). They were not reinstalled and were working fine under Alpha12, when yesterday I was wanting to play with those AIs (my better ones I must say), it updated to Alpha12.1, they started up without asking for the screen settings, and no way for me to meaning fully interact with the program.

Those installs on Linux have been installed since Alpha8/9 and normally updated ever since and have run without any real problems up til now. The only thing which was tricky that I remember about them is that the first install could only be played in windowed mode else I had similar problems to what I have now. The difference now is that I have no way to go to windowed mode right now as it just starts in full screen mode.

And syncing all to one account would not be advisable right now without having a good way to organize AIs. I would be flooded with AIs and I can't guarantee that all are differently named and it would be so many that I would have trouble finding the ones I want/needed.

EDIT: The last Windows problems I mentioned I mentioned because I thought they might help in hunting down bugs in the program, not that they were show stoppers. These Linux bugs ARE.

EDIT2: Either this is a serious bug that affects Linux (any other Linux users out there?). Or it was cause by a major update on my distro (KDE Neon), which I think included a kernel and a display driver update. I'll try to see if changing drivers and or reverting to previous kernels solve the problem. Will also check my Linux Mint install where I haven't played in ages.

PS: Sorry for bugging you on your vacation.. Enjoy your vacation, these problems will still be here when you get back (or I will have found a solution myself). ;)

EDIT3: This doesn't seem to be a linux problem. On my Linux Mint account everything works just fine. So these problems are seemingly KDE Neon specific. I will look into it myself.
Last edited by Athelinde on 23 Feb 2018, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#27 » 23 Feb 2018, 11:53

GFX47 wrote:Since last patch, only the latest voluntary deployment can be picked.

Nothing, ghosts and players ratings are separated.

I can confirm the second point. As acho max currently is 1936 and his ghost is 2000.

But I cannot confirm the first part. If I understood you right, you say that with the last patch the ghost uses always the last deployment of the real player as "his" Ai and bot formation. Nonetheless I see in the latest matches at least two ghosts of DH!

One with almost 1600 points and one with 2050 points.
See match id: 878084 and match id 878060

So it seems that the ghost is not using only the last deployment.

Nonetheless the idea of the ghosts is really nice with a small playerbase (or in general I would say). We always play against ghosts (aside from private matches) but the possibility to play a lot is awesome.

Ghosts do improve the chances that the others may find workarounds against one's AI faster, as the debugging mode would too (we can even see the actions of the enemy bots now? That is a lot!).
But is also true that as some ghosts shows, DH and Miojo; they are not getting often updates (that is: the real player is not deploying a lot) and still they are hard to crack. This means that the real players have more tools to reverse engineer the opponent AI, but nonetheless it requires quite some time.

Also I am more for "let's find collectively the strongest AI, getting more data" rather than "ha! I have a superior AI at the moment and you won't get much info about it!".

So I would say:
- Ghost that uses always the last deployment - great.
- Super "open" debug session where one can see everything of the enemy short of his debug window. Great to speed up evolution of tactics. It does not apply to players that don't play often though, as it is time consuming to go through the enemy AI in a debug session.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

GFX47
Dev Team

Re: Alpha 12.1 (KDE Neon)

Post#28 » 23 Feb 2018, 21:32

Athelinde wrote:EDIT3: This doesn't seem to be a linux problem. On my Linux Mint account everything works just fine. So these problems are seemingly KDE Neon specific. I will look into it myself.

GFX47
Dev Team

Post#29 » 23 Feb 2018, 21:34

pier4r wrote:But I cannot confirm the first part. If I understood you right, you say that with the last patch the ghost uses always the last deployment of the real player as "his" Ai and bot formation. Nonetheless I see in the latest matches at least two ghosts of DH!

Sorry, forgot to mention "last voluntary deployment after matchmaking filtering" (elo range, etc).

pier4r wrote:Super "open" debug session where one can see everything of the enemy short of his debug window

You can now select enemy bots and see their current action.
But I'm not sure that's what you meant.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#30 » 23 Feb 2018, 21:58

Can you update the matchmaking rules then? (Wiki)

For the debug I mean that the debug session is pretty open , that is not much secret information on the enemy side. One can almost follow the enemy ai short of having the enemy debug window.

WASP103
Script
Script

Post#31 » 23 Feb 2018, 22:13

Any feedback on my reportings is highly appreciated <3

GFX47
Dev Team

Post#32 » 23 Feb 2018, 22:15

WASP103 wrote:Any feedback on my reportings is highly appreciated <3

Yeah, sorry I saw that.
I'll try to fix it.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#33 » 25 Feb 2018, 14:39

So I take a guess about how the matchmaking works.

It works mostly like before , aside that the map is always random, and it takes the opponent (mostly a ghost) in this way.

* requirements
- every player, at every deployment, creates a possible ghost
-- every ghost has its own score, starting with the score after the result of the last deployment that create it. It changes after every successful pick, if it gets picked by the procedure below.

* actual pick
- at a new active deployment of the player A, the list of "ghosts" within +/- 400 score points gets created.
- from this list, remove all the ghosts of opponents met in the last 10 minutes (or maybe 30, I did not pay attention)
- from the remaining list, pick the ghosts that was the latest deployment as possible of its own "owner" with the score closer to the player A
- execute the match.

Example(s).

(a)
I am deploying with a score of 1700.

There is the following list of ghosts (that where picked previously or not) within +/- 400 points ordered from the older deployment to the new one:
chris (2087)
chris (2099)
chris (2052)
mumpsimus (1860)
mumpsimus (1903)
mumpsimus (1947)
mcompany (1899)
mcompany (1356)
mcompany (1678)

In the last X minutes (10, 30 or the actual value), I met already mumpsimus. This the elegible list become:
chris (2087)
chris (2099)
chris (2052)
mcompany (1899)
mcompany (1356)
mcompany (1678)

Of this list I consider the latest eligible ghosts, so
chris (2052)
mcompany (1678)

Then I pick mcompany that is the closer to my score.

I get a draw, nothing changes (+/- 0 points).
The next ghost that I'll pick is
chris (2052)

I lose, I get -3 points going down to 1697.
I don't play for a day, I play the next day. The next day the available ghosts will be:
chris (2087)
chris (2052)
mcompany (1899)
mcompany (1356)
mcompany (1678)

Chris(2099) is now out of range, so cannot be picked anymore.

sollniss
Automaton
Automaton

Post#34 » 25 Feb 2018, 20:53

I get an "unsupported game version" error with 12.1rc2. I can't play anymore.

GFX47
Dev Team

Post#35 » 27 Feb 2018, 09:10

sollniss wrote:I get an "unsupported game version" error with 12.1rc2. I can't play anymore.

The official version is now 12.1.
Just follow the link automatically opened when you get this error.

TheKidPunisher
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#36 » 03 Apr 2018, 18:16

Hi, just a little comeback. Sad to see that there less people in the game... happy to see that some guys are still there...

So just to notice, (not a bug) in campaign: chapter 7 match 2 and 3, against me the ennemies assaults just move and flee (dance at long range) that makes the levels way to easy.
I do not test more than the 7, i am blocked on the 8-1...

Return to “Release candidates”