Just thinking

Botique
Algorithm
Algorithm

Just thinking

Post#1 » 16 Mar 2017, 15:38

Probably not the first one, but was thinking... about double attack strategies.

Because I am too stupid to make good "focus fire" routines for all bots, I started to think about pairing bots.
That is... make 2 bots (assaults) to act as one. Always attacking together, retreating together, choosing the same target, staying close.
Rationale is that two bots has twice the shield, twice the health and twice the firepower. Question... how to sync them to act as one?
Any funny good ideas?

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Re: Just thinking

Post#2 » 16 Mar 2017, 15:41

Botique wrote:Probably not the first one, but was thinking... about double attack strategies.

Because I am too stupid to make good "focus fire" routines for all bots, I started to think about pairing bots.
That is... make 2 bots (assaults) to act as one. Always attacking together, retreating together, choosing the same target, staying close.
Rationale is that two bots has twice the shield, twice the health and twice the firepower. Question... how to sync them to act as one?
Any funny good ideas?

Attack AllyAttacking Enemy. Dance. MoveToClosest NotShortRange Ally If Any ShortRange Ally Not Exists.
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat

My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#3 » 16 Mar 2017, 16:06

Well as idea, Botique, does not sound bad. But maybe takes time to be implemented and adapted to maps that do not have many assaults bot (like kingmaker).
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

harthag
Automaton
Automaton

Post#4 » 16 Mar 2017, 18:11

I know tagging is a bit ... frowned upon ... in upper eschelons, especially with new filter options, but that's how I'd do it. Very simple and at the start. One bot self tags then goes about it's business. The copy-bot keeps the tagged bot in close range and then mimics whatever closest ally does. All others keep tagged bot out of close range, but otherwise go about their business as usual also

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#5 » 16 Mar 2017, 19:04

What is disliked may have interesting applications, do not get too influenced
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

harthag
Automaton
Automaton

Post#6 » 16 Mar 2017, 23:11

pier4r wrote:What is disliked may have interesting applications, do not get too influenced

Exactly why I put it here, despite the overall trend away from tagging, yes ;)

This thread also brought to mind another related strategy concept I've had in mind. Not particularly applicable to a pair of assault bots specifically, more for a pair of bots that are not the same type, but still fits the OP's concept of
Botique wrote:double attack strategies...pairing bots... act as one
have the bots work as a fire team, not necessarily performing the same actions as each other, but both focusing on the same "goal" at the same time, be it attack, self preservation, resource, or whatever, and both playing to their strengths to help each other.

Botique
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#7 » 17 Mar 2017, 08:54

Hey I can report my first preliminary tests and results.
It was fairly easy to make "mirroring syncing" bots. Focus fire was achieved by tagging. But the problem currently is way of surviving such pairs or chunks of bots. While focusing and syncing works, coz of bot being damaged and retreating, all the group somewhat retreats... if left alone, it's simple one against trained bunch of bots. But if one retreat and other try to follow or at least "be near" reatreating ally, then the best scenario is they are pushed outside map, worst - they are shot one by one.

Though the good outcome of this exercise is that I learned a bit better focus fire features... probably I can merge the ideas into my default bots.

But still want to try this "group thinking" behavior... coz intuition says that group should perform better...

harthag
Automaton
Automaton

Post#8 » 17 Mar 2017, 14:21

Botique wrote:the problem currently is way of surviving ... syncing works, coz of bot being damaged and retreating, all the group somewhat retreats... if left alone, it's simple one against trained bunch of bots. But if one retreat and other try to follow or at least "be near" reatreating ally, then the best scenario is they are pushed outside map, worst - they are shot one by one...But still want to try this "group thinking" behavior... coz intuition says that group should perform better...

That's similar to my testing results. Attacking and moving toward enemy both worked well, but a retreating group was too easy to push off the map.

That push problem is what made me switch to working as a "team" instead of working as a single entity.

My best I've managed so far is my "sniper and sniper spotter" team, where my bots retreat as they normally would with 2 exceptions:
1. Sniper is retreating too far from the spotter. The spotter will follow it, but has an unusual variation of "dancing" while it does.
2. If sniper is retreating, but not "too far", spotter will switch targets to attack whatever is attacking the sniper.

The pair is very hard to push (at least compared to my other AIs) and often stand their ground (alone) against superior numbers as long as they don't get flanked, and focus fire at least as well as any other AI I can manage.

Return to “Strategies”