Am I using the shotgun bot wrong or are they generally not very good?

Werechicken
Script
Script

Am I using the shotgun bot wrong or are they generally not very good?

Post#1 » 14 Mar 2017, 19:50

I like the concept of the shotgun bot, a quick light bot with a powerful short-range weapon... The thing is: Whenever I use one it either dies super quickly and/or doesn't do much. The speed doesn't seem to help as I either let it run free and it gets torn apart by group fire or I try and have it stick with my group and it doesn't really do much.

Am I just bad at creating an AI for it? my assaultbot and machinegun bot AI seem to do alright (well I'm on the border between platinum and diamond league and haven't unlocked the sniper yet as I only started this game on Saturday)

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Re: Am I using the shotgun bot wrong or are they generally not very good?

Post#2 » 14 Mar 2017, 20:22

Werechicken wrote:I like the concept of the shotgun bot, a quick light bot with a powerful short-range weapon... The thing is: Whenever I use one it either dies super quickly and/or doesn't do much. The speed doesn't seem to help as I either let it run free and it gets torn apart by group fire or I try and have it stick with my group and it doesn't really do much.

Am I just bad at creating an AI for it? my assaultbot and machinegun bot AI seem to do alright (well I'm on the border between platinum and diamond league and haven't unlocked the sniper yet as I only started this game on Saturday)

Check out some Kanishka_RN3 Replays. ShotGun is my most optimized and regularly updated bot. Of course,
Screenshot_2017-03-15-00-18-11-204_com.GFX47.Gladiabots-960x540.png
Screenshot_2017-03-15-00-18-11-204_com.GFX47.Gladiabots-960x540.png (142.06 KiB) Viewed 1658 times

has all my code. Many behaviors are byproducts and loose Nodes. I have no idea how my SG learnt flanking.
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat

My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

harthag
Automaton
Automaton

Post#3 » 14 Mar 2017, 22:01

Kanishka wrote:I have no idea how my SG learnt flanking.

Skynet in embrio :lol:

Ritter Runkel
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#4 » 14 Mar 2017, 22:34

You will see that the SG is one of the most powerfull units. Actually I would say its even more powerfull then a sniper. For the SG you have to put some work into the retreatment strategy. You can't harm anybody from longrange. So try to find ways to get close. The SG can't do that alone.

And you can try to find 1vs1 dogfight situations. Very often the SG wins and it is easy to find filters for the other situations.

I would suggest you to watch some replays of Kanishka, MCompany, Pier, Wozza or other TOP 10 Players. Maybe you can get some ideas how to evolve your SG. Hope to see you soon in Grand Master

Werechicken
Script
Script

Post#5 » 15 Mar 2017, 00:11

I figured it was something like this: a high end tool that you need to work to make good.

I love games Ike this: where you can grasp the basics in a very short time, but the higher level stuff takes a long while to get your head around (probably why I like dark souls, that and I'm a bit of a masochist)

ConsciouS-0nE
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#6 » 15 Mar 2017, 15:02

Hi warechicken, im not as good as those player above, im a noob in in diamond league.

I can show you some replays of godlike shotgun strategy that FOOLED almost everyone I match with when it was FIRST RELEASED XD.

312339 the only replay i recovered, its not the best but enjoy.
Im not the best player, but atleast im something.I'm 8
Science is madness! 3:)

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#7 » 15 Mar 2017, 16:09

Ritter Runkel wrote:I would suggest you to watch some replays of Kanishka, MCompany, Pier, Wozza or other TOP 10 Players. Maybe you can get some ideas how to evolve your SG.

I'm speechless. Really. My name was taken with the Top 10. Thank you Ritter. I mean it.
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat

My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#8 » 15 Mar 2017, 17:33

ConsciouS-0nE wrote:Hi warechicken, im not as good as those player above, im a noob in in diamond league.

I can show you some replays of godlike shotgun strategy that FOOLED almost everyone I match with when it was FIRST RELEASED XD.

312339 the only replay i recovered, its not the best but enjoy.

Come on you know that you are good. Not yet really playing for the unavoidable but good
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Botique
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#9 » 17 Mar 2017, 12:57

Some words on Shotgun (well my version).

My Shotgun as other classes has their own dedicated AI. I don't have universal AI for all bots, but dedicated to classes, though I would prefer one big bot with some bot-class specific routines, I ended up historically with 4 different main AIs one for each class... though some routines has this "mixed" type of programming as they are reused across different AIs

So shotgun.

It is extremely good bot... you can do miracles with it if you keep it alive.
1. It is fast - so you can kite the hell out of snipers and other bots
2. It retreats fast, so if enemy bots tend to "keep shooting retreating bot" then shotgun is the best target for them as it has lot of shields, and can retreat fast into long range while keeping enemy fixed on you and let other your allies to shoot cucumbers onto them
3. It is just a blast in short range. If you can get to short range, bye bye MG

So how I priogrammed (in general) my shotgun.
1. It shoots mostly in mid/short range - if I remember correctly, it uses long range only if there is chance of actually finishing retreating long range bot
2. If nothing prevents, my shotgun tends to sneak up in close range - this though is doublebladed knife... you can get wrecked if you get cought in short range by crosffire especially if MG is cucumbering you
3. My shotgun retreats no matter what if it is targetted by more than one enemy - especially snipers in long range, so survivability of my shotgun is a bit paranoid.

And also - I hate enemy shotguns which are programmed cleverly *gough*Wozza*cough*

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#10 » 17 Mar 2017, 13:37

Botique wrote:
So how I priogrammed (in general) my shotgun.
1. It shoots mostly in mid/short range - if I remember correctly, it uses long range only if there is chance of actually finishing retreating long range bot
2. If nothing prevents, my shotgun tends to sneak up in close range - this though is doublebladed knife... you can get wrecked if you get cought in short range by crosffire especially if MG is cucumbering you

Similar here.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Return to “Strategies”