Which bot to use where?

sethcohn
Automaton
Automaton

Which bot to use where?

Post#1 » 02 Feb 2017, 09:23

This is mostly self-evident, but it's nice to have some stats backing this up....

As seen from the graphs I've added to http://bit.ly/GladiabotsAttackChart

Short range
Short Range.png
Short Range.png (33.7 KiB) Viewed 2311 times

While the shotgun has the speed on its' side, damage wise, the machinegun catches up within 4 seconds (and then falls behind), and an assault bot isn't a slouch either in the first 5 seconds... just don't use a sniper for sure... wrong tool for the job.

Mid range
Mid Range.png
Mid Range.png (32.64 KiB) Viewed 2311 times

Mid range, everything remains fairly comparable at 2 seconds, the sniper at 3 second, and at 6 seconds, the machine gun has just started to shoot for the second time, which is why it is ahead by a bit, but really not by that much... Basically, mid range everything is about equal... at 3 and 6 seconds.

Long range
Long Range.png
Long Range.png (28.06 KiB) Viewed 2311 times

Using anything but a sniper at long range is a waste of time... you do minimal damage at best, and the time spent getting closer into midrange with all of the other bots is more likely to improve the damage you do.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Re: Which bot to use where?

Post#2 » 02 Feb 2017, 09:37

nice visualization. With the timings it makes things interesting. Like at long range, ganging up or nothing!
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

NullPointer
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#3 » 02 Feb 2017, 14:15

Really good stuff. Looks like the damage is very well balanced.

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#4 » 02 Feb 2017, 18:02

NullPointer wrote:Really good stuff. Looks like the damage is very well balanced.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#5 » 02 Feb 2017, 18:26

ahahahahahah gfx ahahahhaha, that was neat.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

sethcohn
Automaton
Automaton

Post#6 » 02 Feb 2017, 18:45

Indeed, high compliments to GFX... well balanced indeed. I know that new folks feel like shotguns/machineguns and especially snipers are hard to win against with just assault bots... but this info says that it's not highly unbalanced in any one direction at all. Good game design. Especially if it's evolved and fine tuned over time.
Last edited by sethcohn on 02 Feb 2017, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

NullPointer
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#7 » 02 Feb 2017, 19:15

ROFL

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#8 » 02 Feb 2017, 19:41

sethcohn two question:

a) did you computed those stuff with your spreadsheet? (did not check it so far, sorry)
b) would be possible for you to make lines to see when a certain type of enemy would be destroyed? Because the damage at short range looks cool but many bot classes would disappear quite early in the timeline.

sethcohn
Automaton
Automaton

Post#9 » 02 Feb 2017, 20:21

a) Mostly. I used data generated by the sheets to make the charts by hand (mostly cut/paste to make it all appear in one place with common timeline)
b) Possible. That was on my list of 'cool additions', as well as items like "how quickly can the bot move from long to medium range, and thus improve damage done in X time?" (which is probably true, but it would be nice to have the exact stats to say "If your target is idle and long range, you should move in to medium and then attack, not fire from long range, here's exactly why..." (obviously a target moving toward you is better, and fleeing is worse, etc.)

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#10 » 02 Feb 2017, 21:34

Although I'm updating more the FAQ than the wiki, do you know that: https://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wik ... bot_fights ?

harthag
Automaton
Automaton

Post#11 » 06 Feb 2017, 23:22

"Using anything but a sniper at long range is a waste of time"

Not necessarily ... Assault and machine gun hit early enough to keep shields from regenerating long enough for Sniper to take a second shot at a (still) unshielded target, which is much better than hitting a recently replenished shield with the same shot.

sethcohn
Automaton
Automaton

Post#12 » 07 Feb 2017, 17:25

harthag wrote:

Not necessarily ... Assault and machine gun hit early enough to keep shields from regenerating long enough for Sniper to take a second shot at a (still) unshielded target, which is much better than hitting a recently replenished shield with the same shot.

Excellent point (and strategy).

harthag
Automaton
Automaton

Post#13 » 07 Feb 2017, 21:49

sethcohn wrote:
harthag wrote:

Excellent point (and strategy).

Thanks ... I just wish I were a good enough programmer to actually implement it ...

sethcohn
Automaton
Automaton

Post#14 » 07 Feb 2017, 22:54

I'm not sure it's easy or even possible to do right now... It's a multiple selection issue: Target the enemy who is being attacked by an ally who is a sniper. If possible, it's certainly a tagging solution.

Written a few hours later:

Duh, I'm a idiot for not thinking of it right away,

take 1: requires team tags
Sniper bot teamtags it's target, then begin attacking. Allies look for team tag and attack it even from long distance. (Could refine with shield checking)

harthag
Automaton
Automaton

Post#15 » 08 Feb 2017, 19:01

sethcohn wrote:Sniper bot teamtags it's target, then begin attacking. Allies look for team tag and attack it even from long distance. (Could refine with shield checking)

Let me rephrase ... "I just wish I were a good enough programmer to actually survive long enough in a battle that being able to implement it would matter ..."

Return to “Strategies”