using tags

User avatar
Ritter Runkel
Neural Network
Neural Network
Posts: 498

using tags

Post#1 » 24 Dec 2016, 09:03

Let's collect some ideas about tagging.

When starting to rebuild my AIs I'm wondering how I can avoid flipping targets. Obviously only with tagging, which costs time and needs really big decision trees.

How can I avoid changing my target all the time when a priority enemy (tagged A) is getting into long range/out of range all the time.

Also a question, is it possible to see if I'm tagged by an enemy? Only way I found was ... If my shield is down and my allies have 100% shield. Not very sophisticated way to check.

My first impression is, that tagging will make the game much more long range oriented. When you are midrange to two or three enemies, they tag you, they shoot you, you die. Looks pretty clear for me. What do you think?

Johnbob
Algorithm
Algorithm
Posts: 62

Re: using tags

Post#2 » 24 Dec 2016, 09:33

I didn't try it yet but I'm afraid it will bring too much complexity and scare the new players. I may try it but I think it will take weeks.

ConsciouS-0nE
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity
Posts: 740

Re: using tags

Post#3 » 24 Dec 2016, 09:40

We collect them here;
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=214

But quote Ritters title and maybe link,
Im gonna fill that thread maybe next year after i do my own trial and error, but just too busy yet.
Happy holidays guys, thanks a lot.
(So theyre in one place) <3
Im not the best player, but atleast im something.I'm 8
Science is madness! 3:)

User avatar
HBomb
Algorithm
Algorithm
Posts: 93

Re: using tags

Post#4 » 24 Dec 2016, 15:30

Ritter Runkel wrote:How can I avoid changing my target all the time when a priority enemy (tagged A) is getting into long range/out of range all the time.


If I may offer my solution:
2 Subroutines: one for attacking tag1 and one for tagging enemies with 1, in that order.
The attacking sub decides when to disengage from an enemy, the tagging sub decides what the next target is.
This way, when someone walks out of range, a new target is valid for tagging and the bot will continue to shoot them until they are not valid as decided by the attack sub.

This is a double edged sword though. No flickering back and further between targets dancing in/out of range, but less reactive if, for some reason, the first target walks confidently back into the action with no shield for whatever reason.

Ritter Runkel wrote:Also a question, is it possible to see if I'm tagged by an enemy?

No, and you don't want this. Not only is mindreading not sportsmanlike, you have no idea what the enemy is tagging you for. It could be "focus fire", "stay away" or even "I love the colour of their shoes".

Ritter Runkel wrote:My first impression is, that tagging will make the game much more long range oriented. When you are midrange to two or three enemies, they tag you, they shoot you, you die. Looks pretty clear for me. What do you think?

I... Might disagree. That's just one use of the system. But I don't know meta :)

mcompany
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity
Posts: 872

Re: using tags

Post#5 » 24 Dec 2016, 20:21

Ok, I think I figured out the current meta, so while I think still don't the highest opinion, I might be able to have at least some input
Ritter Runkel wrote:How can I avoid changing my target all the time when a priority enemy (tagged A) is getting into long range/out of range all the time.

either multiple priority enemies (mine attacks D, then E, then A) or just telling them to to attack weakest 0-25 shield, then attack weakest shield ratio of 25-75 shield then weakest of the rest tends to keep targeting the same people semi consistently. Also, make sure to move towards priority targets more than others to keep your bots clumped (rather than clumping manually by tell them to move near each other. Manual clumping isn't bad per se, but it can have its flaws).
However it is impossible to completely avoid changing targets as well as currently targeted did.
Ritter Runkel wrote:Also a question, is it possible to see if I'm tagged by an enemy? Only way I found was ... If my shield is down and my allies have 100% shield. Not very sophisticated way to check.

I would agree with HBomb on this one, although I disagree with reasoning. Not seeing the enemies tags allows for you to have to think more about the strategy of your bots, rather than it being a game of avoidance

Ritter Runkel wrote:My first impression is, that tagging will make the game much more long range oriented. When you are midrange to two or three enemies, they tag you, they shoot you, you die. Looks pretty clear for me. What do you think?

It was ALWAYS more efficient to attack from long range. However the problem with doing than wasn't the lack of damage, but rather, it was easier to have multiple bots aiming at different targets, thus losing focus fire. Even though tagging kinda gets around this, I think that it is still better to attack from mid range with non snipers for this reason.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet
Posts: 3390

Re: using tags

Post#6 » 24 Dec 2016, 21:04

mcompany wrote:It was ALWAYS more efficient to attack from long range. However the problem with doing than wasn't the lack of damage, but rather, it was easier to have multiple bots aiming at different targets, thus losing focus fire. Even though tagging kinda gets around this, I think that it is still better to attack from mid range with non snipers for this reason.


I second with this. I remember in alpha 4.x (only assaults) one tactic to get a bit of advantage was to shoot the enemy at the start and then move only when some not recoverable condition (see shield) was lost. In this way the initial damage was crucial for some battles.

On the other side focusing fire was possible only with several multiple AIs.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Return to “Strategies”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest