have i played RitterRunkel, and did kinda good?

M4L4
Script
Script

have i played RitterRunkel, and did kinda good?

Post#1 » 14 Nov 2018, 20:22

Hi guys, while playing the game, two things i've learned for sure, first of all the game is way harder than it looks, second is that Ritter Runkel is one of the best players around and one of the most active members of the community.

Long story short, it's almost a week that i go back and froth between master and diamond league and today i think i battled with RitterRunkel, and i did pretty well (i think) even if i've lost the game.

@RitterRunkel was it your actual AI?
replay #1474078

if it was really you, what do you think about my bots? i keep getting 5-6 winning matches in high diamond league, but as soon as i get to 1850 i usually loose 5-6 matches and get kicked back to diamond.

I'd really love to have hints from higher players, it took me less than a week to get to master for the first time, and now (more than a week later) that i've greatly improved my ai (i can beat all my previous versions), i still can't go higher than 1850 :(

Bockwurst
Script
Script

Re: have i played RitterRunkel, and did kinda good?

Post#2 » 17 Nov 2018, 11:48

Hey M4L4,
congrats on making it this far already.

I'd be glad to watch a game of yours and give you advice.
You'll need to play a game on the current version though, otherwise I won't be able to see the replay.

Hitting these walls is normal. My usual approach to moving past them is:
Look at the first 20 seconds of every game and make them as optimal as possible.
Are there situations where your bots attacked the wrong target or switched target too early? Did they retreat too early, too late?

M4L4
Script
Script

Post#3 » 18 Nov 2018, 10:32

Thank you very much, unluckily after the update my game is stuck on an unresolved match, and i cannot play untill fixed. As soon as i have a new interesting match, i'll post the replay. :)

M4L4
Script
Script

Post#4 » 19 Nov 2018, 13:25

ok, the update fixed the issue.
here's a match against a 1900 with my same setup (AS-AS-SN-SG), i get pushed pretty hard and i don't really understand how to improve my aim and/or my retreat.

replay#1485082

lately i'm doing pretty well against all aggro composition (ASx4, ASx3-SN) but i struggle against my own setup and against 1-1-1-1, i don't know how to play machine gun, and how to properly counter them

Bockwurst
Script
Script

Post#5 » 20 Nov 2018, 10:25

Your aim and retreat seem fine for the most part actually.
If you look at the game state at 3:55 you'll see that you have a 2vs4 situation at medium range. At this point there's nothing you can do.
I would say your main weakness comes from pushing to much with the assaults.
You can push to 2/3 long range, sometimes with the help of SG you can push to 1/2 long range. Don't push to medium range.
Otherwise your assaults spend too much time moving and/or getting shot at, without you shooting back.

Hope this helps :)

M4L4
Script
Script

Post#6 » 20 Nov 2018, 10:30

Thanks for your reply :)
What you suggest is completely different from my actual approach, i even push further than mid range if there's no one attacking me and no more than 1 opponent mid range, and sometimes i end up beeing too close to the enemy pack. I'll try to reduce the aggressivness of my pushing strategy and see how it plays out.
Thanks again, really appreciated that :)

M4L4
Script
Script

Post#7 » 22 Nov 2018, 10:43

reducing aggressiveness of the push improved my score of a good 100 points, and with a new 1v1 module for the SG i'm finally stable in master league and broke the wall of 1900.
us newcomers really need some solid basic strategy to approach the game, i'm still amazed that i reached master using just the same 3 modules for every bot except for SG, but probably that was helping a lot with reducing aim switches.
Thanks again for the help,
and now, let's find out how to deal with the stupid enemy's SG :D

Return to “Strategies”