A few ideas for playing with balls

HBomb
Algorithm
Algorithm

A few ideas for playing with balls

Post#1 » 12 Dec 2016, 15:03

I love the resource maps since I see a greater diversity in strategy and even the purest and simplest can work fantastically. But if you're like me and want to over complicate everything, I've got some ideas for you to get the ball rolling. *badum ts*

No code, just ideas. :)

1. It's not ALL about fighting.

No enemies in range? Sat right on top of a resource that's ripe for the taking? Grab it. Those cheeky mid game dunks can turn a stalemate into a win if your opponent doesn't stop you.

2. Don't let them get free dunks.

Now, we don't want anyone to get free dunks do we? If an enemy carries a resource and you don't, you most likely have more firepower than them now. Ramp up the aggro and see if you can get a kill for that resource. Just make sure you have a contingency plan if they react.

3. Motherfudging snipers need their personal space.

See that lanky git in the back? Yeah the one with the elephant trunk. The second he steps out of line, be sure to run up and headbutt the bastard because I can guarantee he's going to cost you half your health "because everyone's at long range so I'm totally safe".

4. Sometimes, you've got to be the bomb b1+ch.

Ever played CS:GO? The terrorists have to deliver a bomb to an area, and if you're the worst player on the team... You're carrying the bomb. It leaves the better players to worry about shooting the counter-terrorists.

So if your little robot is playing pack mule and passes by an ally on low health, see if you can figure out how to make them trade places. The fragile bot can be the bomb b1+ch and the healthy one can keep the fight going.

5. Claim your territory.

You could throw poo at them or flaunt your massive e-penis, but unfortunately robots only understand gunfire. Such thugs.

Suboptimal plays here can get you the win when claiming territory. I've lost several games from Christian and MGBlitz because at the start they go just a bit more ham. They had space to dunk and I couldn't push back. They were all worse for wear than me, but they had resources and I didn't.

The point is: figure out when it's a good time to push your opponent back; in the sweet spot between cowardice and stupidity lies bravery.

6. Don't pick the same fight twice... Unless you's owning the place.

Lose the last game? Don't go again until you've made a change that you think will win you the same fight. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

And also, unless you spot a glaring bug in a winning replay... It's probably best to adhere to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

7. Focus fire? Dontchu mean current target?

This filter definitely has its uses.
Seeing your sniper flicker back and forth because an enemy it's jittering in and out of range? Current target.
Watching your MG run backwards through the list of priority targets but never firing a bullet? Current target.
Deciding when to chase and when to snipe? Current target.
Beautiful filter, do recommend.
EDIT: current target is deprecated as of version 6.1. Use the tagging system to achieve the same effect.

Note: I've also found a single, solitary, life saving place for idle. Can you?

8. Don't be a wimp.
If you think you can win through just a poke battle, go fight MCompany. He'll kick you right off the face of this earth while you still have full health.
Failing that, the only thing you ever do is wait for your opponent to make mistakes. But do you want to win? Or just wait for them to lose? Figure out when's best to go aggro, even if it costs you ELO while you learn.
(Hint: If they start running, you start chasing)

OK, that's some babble from someone barely scraping top 10-20, any superiors want to offer some useful titbits?

EDIT: Additions

Ritter Runkel wrote:9. Crush them in your claw.

There are maps like where it is possible to get behind your enemy (e.g. Meeting Point, COD, Kingmaker). If you managed to make that you can crush a fleeing opponent by letting him flee into a fatally trap.
Last edited by HBomb on 23 Dec 2016, 19:02, edited 4 times in total.

ConsciouS-0nE
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Re: A few ideas for playing with balls

Post#2 » 12 Dec 2016, 15:22

This, this is the most full packed thread ive ever seen and as well indeed the most offensive by the use of language.
This is gold,
Love you (no homo).
Timer starts now.;)
Last edited by ConsciouS-0nE on 12 Dec 2016, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
Im not the best player, but atleast im something.I'm 8
Science is madness! 3:)

HBomb
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#3 » 12 Dec 2016, 15:23

This is robot wars! Not kitten hugs contest!

...Poo isn't that bad a swear word is it?

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#4 » 12 Dec 2016, 15:31

Well written, I enjoyed it, and nice advices. For example I did not started yet to push for resource capture and I'm paying dearly.

Kudos.
Last edited by pier4r on 12 Dec 2016, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

NullPointer
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#5 » 12 Dec 2016, 15:43

HBomb wrote:You could throw poo at them or flaunt your massive e-penis, but unfortunately robots only understand gunfire. Such thugs.

Spent 30 seconds laughing about this before I could move on.

Really good stuff.

mcompany
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#6 » 12 Dec 2016, 17:51

These are pretty good (although definitely 7 needs to be expanded or at least have had a new note to not retarget often

Funny thing about number 8 is that I've won quite the number of losing battles because I pushed the enemy to the wall faster than they can take advantage of out numbering me

Ritter Runkel
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#7 » 12 Dec 2016, 19:18

:lol: :lol: :lol: you made my day :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very good compendium and nice style to write it down. Maybe I can add one

9. Crush them in your claw.
There are maps like where it is possible to get behind your enemy (e.g. Meeting Point, COD, Kingmaker). If you managed to make that you can crush a fleeing opponent by letting him flee into a fatally trap.

Chunkymonkey
Automaton
Automaton

Post#8 » 13 Dec 2016, 03:33

Nice write up and good advice. Art of War HBomb style?

HBomb
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#9 » 13 Dec 2016, 22:02

I'm honored to see some people actually taking my advice! Of course I'm paying for it with losses, but I'll take it is a compliment. :ugeek:

Johnbob
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#10 » 13 Dec 2016, 23:26

That was really good :lol:

Return to “Strategies”