Arena border detection flee strategy

Zaxon
Script
Script

Arena border detection flee strategy

Post#1 » 27 Mar 2018, 16:54

Has anyone come up with a strategy for when being backed up against the arena border? Besides stand and fight, and besides you shouldn't have allowed yourself to get in that position, in theory, you could imagine your bot simply going sideways for a bit, and then resuming fleeing safely. But since the 2D relative position of all other objects is unknown, you can't simply flee to, say, your allies, without the strong possibility that you're walking straight into the bots you're trying to flee from.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Re: Arena border detection flee strategy

Post#2 » 27 Mar 2018, 17:37

Some players somehow manage to do this, most of the time at least. It is actually crucial as a fleeing shotgun can lure away and keep busy 1-2 elements of my team and so I go in tactical disadvantage.

I am trying slowly to use a similar approach to those, but I am in no hurry.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Zaxon
Script
Script

Post#3 » 27 Mar 2018, 18:26

Give that we don't know the coordinates of anything, what can you possibly use to move-to or flee-from once you detect the edge?

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#4 » 27 Mar 2018, 20:55

well you estimate. You never go for the perfect solution (as in every heuristic and ultimately in life). I saw some players marking some central resources and move to those. Or move to the sniper if it is alive and some other combinations. Some more effective than others.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Kaweb
Hello World
Hello World

Post#5 » 27 Mar 2018, 21:58

I think it's important to keep in mind that when you get stuck against a wall, it's because you are following a path perpendicular to it (e.g. being pushed perpendicularly against the wall trying to flee from an attacking bot). So to start sliding alongside the wall in one direction or another the key is to break that symmetry.

Sometimes something as simple as fleeing from all the bots rather than just one might do it (although obviously it's still possible to be pushed straight back by the center of mass of all bots). If you flee from any object that doesn't create a perpendicular path to the wall, that will create some movement alongside it (which may or may not be enough to escape), with the ideal case being moving completely parallel (setting aside the additional complexity of avoiding being pushed into a corner). Then enter the heuristics to try to find the best reference object to move to/from.

Revenge
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#6 » 28 Mar 2018, 01:02

Well there is a complicated algorithm that involves heading towards bases while staying out of medium range of enemies. As other people have noted though, resources
and allies ate better to build around if they exist.

TomCat
Script
Script

Post#7 » 28 Mar 2018, 06:34

Replay 914563 - here you can see nice example of excelent escaping which save my ass ;-) but it is quite a matter of coincidence and it's rarely going to do that nicely. ;-)
My God, it's full of stars!

Zaxon
Script
Script

Post#8 » 28 Mar 2018, 12:01

TomCat wrote:Replay 914563 - here you can see nice example of excelent escaping which save my ass ;-) but it is quite a matter of coincidence and it's rarely going to do that nicely. ;-)

That's was an amazing example of everything that's been discussed so far! Although I'm curious as to whether only the shotgun had that code, since the earlier bots didn't appear to be let in on the secret.

Revenge wrote:Well there is a complicated algorithm that involves heading towards bases while staying out of medium range of enemies.

That's the key: Combining both those things.

TomCat
Script
Script

Post#9 » 28 Mar 2018, 13:00

Zaxon wrote:That's was an amazing example of everything that's been discussed so far! Although I'm curious as to whether only the shotgun had that code, since the earlier bots didn't appear to be let in on the secret.

First - the other bots are too slow to be succesfull in escaping. And mainly second - there is no routine in my program directly made for escaping. The shotgun simply continues doing his job which is harvesting. He still maintains a sufficient distance from the enemies. And he always trying to harvest the farthest resource from the enemies. And that is also quite good strategy for escaping too. ;-) Yeah it realy is so simple :-)
My God, it's full of stars!

Return to “Strategies”