First off, I'd like to say that ignoring resources is definitely not something that is really viable on SYP (the two closest resources are nearly free, and the units start so spread out that getting the middle resource early is super important), Kingmaker (after getting the resource close to the battle, you can easily afford to get pushed), or LR (on any even battles, getting the middle resource super early is a blessing). The major problem is that it is virtually impossible to account for these maps correctly without awful side effects due to a lack of directional sensor and/or no options to check relative something else(AKA the refactoring update) as LR will end up with you slowing yourself down by picking up the resources on your side (and if you get pushed, you basically give the opponent free resources), Meeting Point pretty much makes your squished between a death trap if you score without properly holding off the enemy, and Mind Game starts so close together that killing early is usually easier and better. As far as Seven Wonders goes, most of the time it doesn't matter a ton whether or not you you choose to push instead of score because if you can suppress an enemy push well enough you won't you much ground by only scoring with one bot.
Giving that, I think that the amount of players ignoring resources is probably just because it is much easier to do correctly (without map specific side effects), and not because it is necessarily better. And messing with the rate that players score too drastically could screw most of the balance of the game pretty badly.
GFX47 wrote:It doesn't feel right to me either.
I see several possible solutions for that:
1. Shorten the matches timeout to increase scoring priority in strategies
2. Add a passive bonus when scoring like refilling all shields of the team or or a short period of Invisibility, etc
3. Add an active bonus bar that increments when scoring, each segment allowing to trigger a team based capacity like the examples above or a bot based capacity like faster aiming for sniper or shield boost for shotgun, etc
4. Make the final score impact the earned XP and/or the exchanged ranking points (I'm not sure it's doable with ELO though)
1. So roll back to what it was before: 3 minutes? Honestly, I'd be fine with that, but as The Gnoo already said, scoring too early can easily have a very steep cost, so I'd worry that it wouldn't really change anything on any maps besides rush maps (SYP, KM, and LR), and even then, it might be fairly rock-paper-scissors esque
2. Please no.
3. Once again, just like for 2, I feel like this might break scoring too much
4. Honestly, I doubt that will do anything. If anything, to gain more resources, they'd need more of the enemy's space, meaning they'd have to push harder before trying to rush a score... which is basically the opposite of what is wanted