Script

Add Rewind/reverse playback

Post#1 » 31 Jul 2017, 18:53

TheKidPunisher
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Re: Add Rewind/reverse playback

Post#2 » 31 Jul 2017, 19:19

I could be good but not sure that can be add easily (i think replays are not videos)

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#3 » 31 Jul 2017, 19:57

Not easy at all.

The debugger is "computing" the game, AFAIK there are no professional debuggers that let you go reverse.

I mean for example bash is out of there since 20 years, used worldwide by millions, no rewind.
Java? Same
C#? Same

etc... Those are programs that let run infrastructures that costs millions.

What could be useful are breakpoints (time based) + headless computation so one can quickly get to the point of interest.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

LuBeNo
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#4 » 31 Jul 2017, 21:33

I like the some steps back idea and that there is no reference doesn't mean it should not be done. There is nothing like Gladiabots out there.

It would be great if one could jump to 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 minutes. Or 30 seconds steps. That would be a great improvement. Watching the whole game again because you want to examine the last seconds is far from optimal. (not much better in fast forward)
My algorithm of life: if(self.tired) sleep(); else if(self.hungry) eat(); else follow(Jesus);

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#5 » 31 Jul 2017, 21:54

yeah we had this. If the game saves the status every X seconds, I guess will be possible to have "quick bookmarks"

Of course if there is no reference is not a reason to not have it, just it means that is hard, gfx is alone and therefore may be low priority.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

LuBeNo
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#6 » 31 Jul 2017, 23:23

pier4r wrote:Of course if there is no reference is not a reason to not have it, just it means that is hard, gfx is alone and therefore may be low priority.

I think a recurring request should not be refused because it will make work to implement it.
Regarding priority GFX47 should decide.
My algorithm of life: if(self.tired) sleep(); else if(self.hungry) eat(); else follow(Jesus);

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#7 » 31 Jul 2017, 23:56

I never say refused, I wanted to emphasize "ok do not expect this quickly because it is a lot of work, if it ever happens".

LuBeNo
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#8 » 01 Aug 2017, 02:03

pier4r wrote:I never say refused, I wanted to emphasize "ok do not expect this quickly because it is a lot of work, if it ever happens".

Then I did say nothing. Sounded different.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#9 » 01 Aug 2017, 07:31

True. my bad.

LuBeNo
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#10 » 01 Aug 2017, 09:49

For reference: Requested before.

drartimus
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#11 » 14 Aug 2017, 08:19

Why not just save a replay window, say just 5 seconds back? The window would be the game state (bookmark in the processing) 5 seconds ago and would update (move forward) on each second. You can only go back to the beginning of the window (not like a DVD where you can keep going back).

Whenever I want to go back, I just need to go back a little bit, because I've blasted past the part I wanted to see.

As an alternative, just show a clock on the replay. If I had a timestamp of the spot I really want to see, I can just replay from the beginning and slow-moving just before that timestamp. As a bonus, I can tell if an AI change resulted in winning the match faster or lasting longer in an elimination.
"If it acts like it's not running your code, it's probably not running your code." -- me, I say this all the GD time!

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#12 » 14 Aug 2017, 08:35

Everything seems so easy with all those "just" XD

LuBeNo
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#13 » 14 Aug 2017, 12:40

JUST make it work!!111!!!!1!eleven!
:D

drartimus
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#14 » 14 Aug 2017, 15:47

You know, I edited about 3 of them out before I posted. :D Damn, I'm getting an English critique from a Frenchman! :geek:

By the way, love the panning, zooming camera. I seem to recall someone saying THAT would be a hard feature. ;) :lol: 8-)
"If it acts like it's not running your code, it's probably not running your code." -- me, I say this all the GD time!

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#15 » 14 Aug 2017, 15:58

It was actually more about assuming anything you described would be easy to do ;)

drartimus
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#16 » 14 Aug 2017, 19:27

Alright, alright, I did JUST make an assumption about the difficulty of a feature on code I didn't write. However, being a dev lead on a team of 8 people, I'm continually surprised how one guy can write such a performant and feature rich game, support online matches, and take the time to jibber jabber with the users. Certainly this is JUST one more easy feature. :lol:

I did have an alternative suggestion with adding a timer. It would just count seconds starting from zero. Should I submit that as a request on a separate post?

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#17 » 14 Aug 2017, 22:06

drartimus wrote:I did have an alternative suggestion with adding a timer. It would just count seconds starting from zero. Should I submit that as a request on a separate post?

Yes please.

Return to “Feature Requests”