Players that do not play in a day lose a few points

harthag
Automaton
Automaton

Re: Players that do not play in a day, lose little points

Post#21 » 17 Feb 2017, 22:14

PPS wrote:The proposal that someone would play with me, without my knowledge, I think insanity...
I completely understand that point of view.

However, the proposal that I could lose my hard won points, without actually losing any battles, just because [life happens], with no chance to defend them, even though my AIs are better than someone elses, I think insanity ...
pier4r wrote:Again: I did not understand

He's saying he thinks my idea is crazy. That it would be crazy to allow a battle without the knowledge of one of the participants.

PPS
Automaton
Automaton

Re: Players that do not play in a day, lose little points

Post#22 » 18 Feb 2017, 00:17

10 points is not such a big loss. You can get them back for one fight.

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Re: Players that do not play in a day lose a few points

Post#23 » 19 Feb 2017, 11:11

I'd like to keep the league score only impacted by elo computation, so real matches.
I wouldn't want it to get "corrupted" by external factors like inactivity.

The other thing is everyone doesn't always have time to play daily and I don't want to punish them for that. One week seems like a good threshold to consider that a player has left the game (at least took a break for some time).

PPS
Automaton
Automaton

Post#24 » 19 Feb 2017, 14:09

Your right...

Uthael
Script
Script

Post#25 » 24 Feb 2017, 07:45

If you divide the leagues by into maximum number of players that can fit in it, inactive players would drop naturally as maximum ELO increases and more players start playing.

Grandmaster = top 20
Master = next 50
Diamond = 10%
Platinum = 10%
Gold = 20%
Silver = 35%
Bronze = 25% - 70
<extra fancy signature>

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#26 » 24 Feb 2017, 09:59

I'm not sure the feedback for players would be interesting.
You could be demoted just because someone entered your league, even if you are currently improving.
You could be promoted just because someone became inactive.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#27 » 24 Feb 2017, 11:08

Uthael wrote:If you divide the leagues by into maximum number of players that can fit in it, inactive players would drop naturally as maximum ELO increases and more players start playing.

Grandmaster = top 20
Master = next 50
Diamond = 10%
Platinum = 10%
Gold = 20%
Silver = 35%
Bronze = 25% - 70

1. I'm not sure if I follow
2. Leagues will less than 80 players are painful, too low activity
3. I don't believe it will be better than now if I understood it correctly (see 1)
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Uthael
Script
Script

Post#28 » 24 Feb 2017, 13:15

@GFX47 yes. But if you're improving and tere's a guy that's rocketing up, who demotes you, you'll have only one guy to overtake to be promoted again. And that guy who beat you, deserves it.
As for someone becoming inactive and getting demoted, why not? Your ELO doesn't change. It still shows that combination of your dedication and competence.
Are you saying that people should just become inactive after getting to Grandmaster in order to keep their title? Hell, no! If there are people getting 1-2 points for a victory and losing 20 for a defeat, they need an awesome win rate to keep that up. And deserve NOT to be put in the same group with less skilled or lazy players.

@pier4r League names are just for show. Matchmaking can still happen cross-league, depending on your ELO. It won't be much "better", but it will give players with competitiveness in mind a reason to play.

Related story: I didn't know that I hit Grandmaster before seeing that there's a guy who only had victories against me in my match history (T-800). He had ~75% win rate at the time. I was rank 16. I haven't played since because I'm too lazy to move and connect those boxes (even though I know what kind of improvements I should make). As other people gained ELO, they got above me and now I'm 23rd. Haven't played a single match since, because I don't want to lose with an AI I know could be better. Such players don't deserve being in Grandmaster league.
<extra fancy signature>

NullPointer
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#29 » 24 Feb 2017, 13:59

GFX47 wrote:I'd like to keep the league score only impacted by elo computation, so real matches.
I wouldn't want it to get "corrupted" by external factors like inactivity.

The other thing is everyone doesn't always have time to play daily and I don't want to punish them for that. One week seems like a good threshold to consider that a player has left the game (at least took a break for some time).

I agree with that, but I also agree with Pier4r that we could have a measure to prevent someone to just sit on the top of the table like I did in many different occasions that I stopped playing.

My suggestion is to remove a player from the leaderboard if less than 15 games (instead of 1) were deployed in the last 7 days. That should give everyone a chance of a comeback and would properly challenge the current ELO score of that top player.

This rule could be applied only to Grand Master or only to the top 20.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#30 » 24 Feb 2017, 18:38

Hmm the idea of nullpointer is nice. Just increasing the number of matches to be active in a week.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#31 » 25 Feb 2017, 00:23

I'll try something like this tomorrow.

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#32 » 27 Feb 2017, 00:10

Or later...