Custom "Target Selection" Options

Trigary
Algorithm
Algorithm

Custom "Target Selection" Options

Post#1 » 27 Jan 2017, 15:51

The idea: you can create your own target selection options (some of the already implemeted ones are: "Closest", "WeakestShield"). I'm pretty surprised this hasn't been requested yet, I hope it's not the case of me not finding it.

You use the same AI editor, but it's not an AI (so it's stored somewhere else, for example in a small drop down thing). Condition and Connector nodes don't change, but there's only one action: Select<Target selection; Filters>. Subtrees are not available, since you can even select a custom target selection in the select action. You have to specify the target type of this custom target selection "blueprint", since for example resources don't have shields.

If there are no valid select nodes in the "blueprint", I think the action node which called this custom target selection thing should become invalid. This idea will make debugging harder, that's kinda a downsight. I know GFX47 plans on creating pre-built actions, or something like that (Attack weakest enemy), this is something similar probably, but obviously with more freedom. This is better than subtrees because you can still use the filters here, which can be used as an input arguments (you don't have to make a AttackWeakestEnemy - ShortRange; ... - MidRange; ... - LongRange subtree, instead you can just make a custom target selection and use filters).

ConsciouS-0nE
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Re: Custom "Target Selection" Options

Post#2 » 27 Jan 2017, 15:59

Awesome but i like the game as it is.

Programming here is like
"Prison escape"
"How can i escape this prison using a spoon"

With limited things you have,
you need to think well in order to achive specific things wich is currently achievable.

1- itll destroy the current gameplay
2- itll make the game;
"How can i escape this prison, oh wait im a police XD."
Im not the best player, but atleast im something.I'm 8
Science is madness! 3:)

Trigary
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#3 » 27 Jan 2017, 16:20

ConsciouS-0nE wrote:1- itll destroy the current gameplay
2- itll make the game;
"How can i escape this prison, oh wait im a police XD."

I don't think I'm following you, this doesn't allow you to create anything you couldn't have made before, it just makes a specific task easier to maintain and use. Can you please elaborate? I don't really understand those prison quotes :/

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#4 » 27 Jan 2017, 16:26

Do you mean presets? (see trello)

You define conditions that after you can reuse to filter for targets?
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

ConsciouS-0nE
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#5 » 27 Jan 2017, 16:43

Ohh alright now ive read halfthrough it,

Thatll be cool for custom nodes, so you wouldnt need to redo everything right?

"ActionX>targetX>selectionX>filtersX"
-save to custom

Then the next time you want this node you just need to browse the custom ones instead of selecting things again right?
Lazy stuff! I like it <3

Or you want to create your own target selection using the already implemented things?

"Using a spoon to escape"
-first get spoon,
what should the spoon become,
Key you wanted a key.
But before you can make a key from a spoon you still need alot of things before that to happen.
Just like making one single action/purpose using 10-20conditions from the game.
And i like that.

"Second one"
I thought you wanted to create something not from the game.
Last edited by ConsciouS-0nE on 27 Jan 2017, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.

Trigary
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#6 » 27 Jan 2017, 16:46

I'm sorry pier4r, I couldn't find that on trello.

Something like that pier4r, but a "Target selection" option, not a filter. Here's an example node:
Action: Attack
Target type: Enemy
Target selection: WeakerThan50ShieldHealth
Filters: ShortRange, MidRange, NotCarryingResource

-WeakerThan50ShieldHealth: (the following nodes are placed left to right, the syntax is: Action, Target selection, target type, filters)
- Select LowestHealth Enemy: Health < 25%, Shield < 25;
- Select LowestHealth Enemy: Health < 50%, Shield < 25;
- Select LowestHealth Enemy: Health < 25%, Shield < 50;
- Select LowestHealth Enemy: Health < 50%, Shield < 50;

This will select an enemy, if a Shield, Health < 25, Short or Mid range, NotCarryingResource enemy exists, that will be selected, etc.

ConsciouS-0nE
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#7 » 27 Jan 2017, 17:01

Screenshot_2017-01-28-00-00-27.png
The spoon, become a key, but its not yet tested to unlock the door.
Screenshot_2017-01-28-00-00-27.png (90.4 KiB) Viewed 1555 times

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#8 » 27 Jan 2017, 18:32

Then trigary I believe that your request is new and I like it
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#9 » 28 Jan 2017, 01:09

I don't think having several AIs, with different rules and mechanism, running in parallel on a single bot could simplify the game.
If I understand what you want to do here, it should be doable with tagging.

Trigary
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#10 » 28 Jan 2017, 07:34

The "AIs" don't have to run parallel to each other, the thing I'm proposing is similar to a subtree in that regard. It is doable even without tagging, I think I have failed to explain this :/

My idea enables you to create custom target selectors, like Closest, WeakestHealth. You have to create something similar to an AI in an AI editor subsection, but a few things aren't the same: subtrees are disabled (they aren't needed) and there's only one action: select, which basically "returns" the target to the action which called this custom target selector. Basically instead of "return (e1.Position - this.Position).SqrMagnitude() < (e2.Position - this.Position).SqrMagnitude();" a custom AI-like thing runs, but the only action is a return action. You can select this custom AI selector in an action, just like you can select "Closest". This custom selector uses the pre-made target selectors (Closest, WeakestHealth).

Here are some images (as said above, the target type (enemy) should be set once, not in every action, I didn't feel like "paint"-ing that much, sorry):

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#11 » 28 Jan 2017, 09:13

I get it but that's still another kind of AI / tree.

mcompany
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#12 » 29 Jan 2017, 08:05

GFX47 wrote:If I understand what you want to do here, it should be doable with tagging.

I wouldn't necessarily call this doable with tags, as it has the same issue with time as counting does, only worse if you wanted to keep track of this with enemies based on their shields.
For example, (going by the only way I think this could currently be done) for an enemy of 0-25 health/0-75 shield or 75-100 health/0-75 shield you'd have to tag the low health enemies first, (hope none of the shields regenerate), then tag the high health enemies, then target closest tagged enemy, but also untag enemies whose shield regenerated, and tag more enemies right after their shields gets hit. The amount of ticks lost in that (not to mention the amount of accidental retargets) would become enormous to the point that trying to do this would instantly give you a disadvantage

I +1 this idea, or at least some better way of targeting multiple non related things

Return to “Feature Requests”