Request to Bring Back "Currently Targeted"

MGBlitz81
Automaton
Automaton

Request to Bring Back "Currently Targeted"

Post#1 » 24 Dec 2016, 20:35

I have a formal request that you should bring the "Currently Targeted" condition back.

GFX47, I've made the argument elsewhere several times but you have stood adamant about the issue. Still, I think it would do you well to listen to the people who are supporting you and your game at this time rather than come up with your own conclusions on the matter. In the end, we are the same people who are going to purchase your game if we enjoy the final product. As it is now, I'm finding it difficult to find the motivation to play much without this feature. I have a feeling that I'm not the only one who thinks this way as well.

Anyone who wants the "Currently Targeted" condition added back into the game please post here. Explain why you want it and maybe GFX47 will finally do something about it.

HBomb
Algorithm
Algorithm

Re: Request to Bring Back "Currently Targeted"

Post#2 » 24 Dec 2016, 21:03

Alright, calm down. No need for "it would do you well to listen".

I agree with you that it should be left in, but getting a bit entitled as a tester and threatening to quit because something is exactly how you want it is a bit much. You can still do everything you can before, it just takes a little more thinking.

I even dislike your urgency considering that it's Christmas and GFX has made it clear that he's (quite deservedly) taking a week's holiday from this.

Again, I agree that "Current target" should be left in, but be respectful.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#3 » 24 Dec 2016, 21:38

Although I did not play 6.1.3 so far, I got the point of currently targeted (CT) from several existing post. I would say that the problem arises from the fact that CT was introduced by GFX as workaround for the current system. He even wrote that.

Think about it, a completely new player that never played 4.x,5.x and 6.0 will never realize the loss and will have to deal with tags only. Surely a project is an evolution, not a revolution but we can see CT as nice temporary fix that was not meant to be there.

Moreover every player has to deal with the problem, not that some have CT and some not. So I may understand the frustration that the bot does not follow what I would like he would do, but at the end I have to outsmart my opponent, not outsmart the game itself.

In this perspective, I have no problem to see CT gone. It will be hard but that's it, we are testers.

Instead if one wants to add more depth to the game, then CT would be interesting to keep. But then I would like instead to expand the idea of CT and start to let action set tags.

At the end with CT would have been possible to do "retreat from closest enemy" (aka: retreat from bot X), attack currently targeted (aka, attack the same bot of before, X).

So would be an "explosion" to let action set tags: "retreat from closest enemy and set tag X", then "attack tag X". So tags would behave exactly as CT, whatever amount of ticks would they need. So one could bring back the unequal ticks for the sg (4) against slower bots (as, sn, mg with 2, now with 4).

So, before opening a new request, I would amend the request of MGblitz, when GFX has time (it is not only Christmas, he has a life too. Life balance is very important), to let action set tags, change back to the previous tick rate (that was more interesting to handle, so only sg with 4 ticks, other classes with 2) and then let's see. I would say that if an action could leave a tag, CT would be forgot very quickly and the idea of GFX of only using tags will hold.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

MGBlitz81
Automaton
Automaton

Post#4 » 25 Dec 2016, 04:03

Hbomb, I'm just saying what everyone is thinking. I'm not trying to be insulting. From the point of view of a game developer, it WOULD do him well to listen to the requests of the community. I apologise if that came across too harsh.

Pier4r, I wasn't putting a time limit on him either. I would just like to hear that he would consider the idea if enough people said as much. He doesn't have to end his holiday early and respond immediately.

I do, however, disagree with the idea that since everyone has to work with the issue that it's something that we just need to work with. Logically speaking, if the bots couldn't move from their starting positions it would be acceptable for the time being from your perspective. I know, the example is a bit extreme... but it really is no different with the argument you are presenting.

Your work around the issue would be an acceptable idea as well. Not the best idea, but acceptable. So long as it takes the same amount of ticks and nodes to function. But it's still not as easy to understand for beginners and younger players.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#5 » 25 Dec 2016, 18:53

MGBlitz81 wrote:Your work around the issue would be an acceptable idea as well. Not the best idea, but acceptable. So long as it takes the same amount of ticks and nodes to function. But it's still not as easy to understand for beginners and younger players.

Well even closest/furthest were difficult to understand for some of my contacts. In this case the best is to collect explanations by the community and slowly people will understand. Not that currently targeted was clear by itself. Setting tags after an action at least is something that one does actively, currently targeted sometimes was set also for something that maybe was not useful.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

mcompany
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#6 » 25 Dec 2016, 22:50

I kinda agree with pier4r, that if currently targeted is to be replaced by tags, then you should be able to set a tag while doing an action (and that otherwise, tags should still stay based on ticks to promote more strategic uses of tags other than just mapping the field). I would still worry, however, that pier4r's idea would basically only allow for using tags to remake currently targeted without making any use of any other tactic. This is why I keep saying that tags should be simultaneous to actions, so that setting to many tags comes at a cost, but that cost isn't turning your bot into a brick, plus it allows for more than just currently target.

As for noobs not being able to understand it, I think any way you slice it, it would be hard to understand, so unless there is a stupendously complicated system for it, I think it is fine

kemput
Script
Script

Post#7 » 30 Dec 2016, 02:51

Glad, i thought i'm missing currently targeted feature. I'm a new player and I like gladiabots. I saw some AI scheme with CT and I can't find the menu from mine I thought I have a bug but if it is removed I can learn without it. Thanks GFX I hope this game soon will be beta or official release.

NullPointer
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#8 » 16 Jan 2017, 17:25

Just a heads up to everyone, CurrentlyTargeted is back in Alpha 7 in form of a filter: "AttackedBySelf"

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#9 » 16 Jan 2017, 17:39

Finally, someone noticed!

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#10 » 16 Jan 2017, 18:58

WELCOME BACK!!! Missed you. Not.

I was too inexperienced at the time to actually understand the use of CurrentlyTargetted. :P
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat

My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

ConsciouS-0nE
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#11 » 19 Jan 2017, 17:05

NullPointer wrote:Just a heads up to everyone, CurrentlyTargeted is back in Alpha 7 in form of a filter: "AttackedBySelf"

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTT?!?!?!?!!?? :O :cry:
The loss of "currently targeted" is the main reason why my points are dropping, just noticed this :cry:
Im coming back! :twisted: :twisted:
Cleared my ai when "tagging system" was implemented, was having a bad time.
*hibernates in the lab :twisted:
Im not the best player, but atleast im something.I'm 8
Science is madness! 3:)

ConsciouS-0nE
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#12 » 20 Jan 2017, 07:28

Look how much
A SINGLE NODE
Can make a difference :cry:

*Currently targeted lives matter* :o