Please keep the "currently targeted"

HBomb
Algorithm
Algorithm

Please keep the "currently targeted"

Post#1 » 20 Dec 2016, 17:14

While the tagging system surpasses currently targeted in flexibility, currently targeted brings a nice shorthand to the table.

For example:
My bot is firing at an enemy in medium range. The enemy loses all shields and starts to back off. I want to continue firing in long range while the enemy has no shields.

With tagging:
1. If desired target has no tag...
2. tag them.
3. Shoot medium range.
4. Shoot long range tag with no shield.

With Current Target:
1. Shoot medium Range.
2. Shoot long range current target with no shield.

With the mass of other conditions and situations which you might want to do something specific, Current target can keep a few unnecessary nodes off the page (which, as a phone user, i greatly appreciate).

HDeffo
Neural Network
Neural Network

Re: Please keep the "currently targeted"

Post#2 » 20 Dec 2016, 17:20

Currently targetted is also nice for new players who may not understand the tagging system yet

NullPointer
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#3 » 20 Dec 2016, 17:28

I agree. I added some points about this in the other thread (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=190&p=1950#p1950).

- "Currently Targeted" is gone. How am I going to prevent a Sniper from switching targets while it's (re)loading or without losing 1 tick of the clock assigning a tag? And after 1 minute of battle everyone will have the same tag on their heads because they were the current target at a certain point, defeating the purpose of using tags as "Currently Targeted". The tagging system would only replace "Currently Targeted" accurately if each tag were unique and would be assigned instantly.

ConsciouS-0nE
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#4 » 20 Dec 2016, 17:35

Lol, kindly test my oldest "CURRENTLY TARGETED" shotgun nodes if it suits your request...

Screenshot_2016-12-21-00-32-28.png
Shotgun, health and shield can be put in top of each other
Screenshot_2016-12-21-00-32-28.png (85.16 KiB) Viewed 1961 times

See,create,modify,dominate.

//edit:
Ayeee for 6.1??!?,
Nooo yyy ,-_-,

//edit2: yah know you can post this on 6.1 test thread no?, got confused there for a second..(put atleast 6.1 on title :3)
Last edited by ConsciouS-0nE on 20 Dec 2016, 17:43, edited 3 times in total.
Im not the best player, but atleast im something.I'm 8
Science is madness! 3:)

MGBlitz81
Automaton
Automaton

Post#5 » 20 Dec 2016, 17:38

You guys have me scared, I'm not upgrading until currently targeted is back!!

HBomb
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#6 » 20 Dec 2016, 17:43

Well, the nodes are still there if you've already got them!

... I'd like to keep mine for the time being :/

HDeffo
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#7 » 20 Dec 2016, 17:45

I'll make a post in about half an hour for you guys on how to make a new currently targetted node in 6.1

MGBlitz81
Automaton
Automaton

Post#8 » 20 Dec 2016, 17:47

Oh? You upgrade and if you already have currently targeted then they stay active?

Oh that's fine then... so long as tagging doesn't depreciate from the function of currently targeted in any way like it seems some people are suggesting.
Last edited by MGBlitz81 on 20 Dec 2016, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.

HBomb
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#9 » 20 Dec 2016, 17:49

HDeffo wrote:I'll make a post in about half an hour for you guys on how to make a new currently targetted node in 6.1

The issue is not with replicating it. The issue is with the extra nodes and ticks it takes to do the same job.

HDeffo
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#10 » 20 Dec 2016, 17:52

I'm not replicating it. I have a way to make the original feature in 6.1 with the actual currently targetted filter

Night Fury ^^
Script
Script

Post#11 » 25 Dec 2016, 06:18

Agree
Please keep it, AI are terrible without Currently Targeted

HDeffo
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#12 » 25 Dec 2016, 21:09

Night Fury ^^ wrote:Agree

AIs aren't terrible without it because your opponent doesn't have it either :p the ceiling for all players moved which means nothing really hurt or helped you in the end.

The difference now is that without currently targetted there's many avenues to compensate for this increasing the number of strategies players use.

mcompany
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#13 » 25 Dec 2016, 23:03

HDeffo wrote:
Night Fury ^^ wrote:Agree

AIs aren't terrible without it because your opponent doesn't have it either :p the ceiling for all players moved which means nothing really hurt or helped you in the end.

The difference now is that without currently targetted there's many avenues to compensate for this increasing the number of strategies players use.

Actually, I disagree with both of you. Bots aren't terrible with currently targeted, they just are further from optimal. In reality, even without currently targeted, attacking based on shields alone helps remove at least some of the target switching. As for the "it's everyone's problem now"/"ceiling is moved" argument, I think it only goes to a certain point, and in this case, I don't think it works (simply put, currently targeted rewarded you by removing the major question of how to avoid target switching, while tags do not in any way do that right now (except for snipers), and tags are used completely differently

Now let's say currently targeted and tags co-existed (and this probably goes against gfx's vision of the game, but let's assume this otherwise), I would think that the use of different strategies for tags would actually go up (not down) as you now do not have to be worried about wasting time trying to prevent target switching, and you thus could place even more tags. Tags alone add a lot of depth to the game, it's just that them affecting normal actions takes them away because attacking is an action, and attacking is very important (in my opinion more important than scoring) in this game

Night Fury ^^
Script
Script

Post#14 » 27 Dec 2016, 17:16

Not to be off topic but I wonder what Exclusive Team Tag is?

Trigary
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#15 » 27 Dec 2016, 17:42

It removes that tag from everything and adds it to the targeted thing.
For example: you have 2 enemies team tagged with A, you exclusive team tag A an enemy, those 2 enemies won't be tagged anymore with A and the enemy you exclusive team tagged will be team tagged A.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#16 » 27 Dec 2016, 17:47

Night Fury ^^ wrote:Not to be off topic but I wonder what Exclusive Team Tag is?

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126&view=unread#unread

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=214&view=unread#unread
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

mcompany
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#17 » 27 Dec 2016, 19:41

Also note that exclusive team tag can 1. Untag other entities with that tag (such as bases, resources, and allies) and 2. Tag multiple things at once just like a normal tag action

Return to “Feature Requests”