Counters

mumpsimus
Algorithm
Algorithm

Counters

Post#1 » 25 Sep 2018, 02:00

I know several proposals around counters,variables, and timers have been made before. I think this one has some new ideas, or at least unifies some of the use cases of all 3 of those.

Proposal:

Add counters to the game that work analogously to tags (or could even replace/merge with tags, see below) so there are bot private counters and team ones, maybe 5 of each.

Two action nodes would be added:

* reset (private/team) counter named X to 0
* increment (private/team) counter named X by 1

These would both be instant and not stop execution, like tag actions.

and a condition:

* if counter ==/<=/>= N for N up to 9 (or greater, but initially this would open up a lot of possibilities already, and wouldn't be too invasive a UI change)

Nice to have:

* decrement as well as increment
* compare two counters

Use cases:

* Timers: just increment a counter every tick, and you have a timer. Chain two timers to be able to count to 100, etc.
* Counting things like number of resources.
* Tagging: this could completely replace the current tags, a because resetting to 0 could be the equivalent of untagging, and incrementing could be the equivalent of tagging. Comparing >= 1 can check whether the tag is set.
* probably others?
Last edited by mumpsimus on 17 Oct 2018, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.

mumpsimus
Algorithm
Algorithm

Re: Counters

Post#2 » 25 Sep 2018, 02:05

Open question: if the counters are limited to a maximum value, should increment be cyclical?

ElvenMonk
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#3 » 25 Sep 2018, 02:47

+
Improve numbering conditions (including new one for counters) from existing (=|>=|<=)(N[0-10]) to (=|>=|<=)(+/-N)(+/-Counter)

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#4 » 25 Sep 2018, 07:10

+1 but I am for the idea that it shouldn't clutter the view and sometimes even if it costs a lot of effort it is better to leave some functions to those willing to implement them, rather than having a simpyfing node.
So for example counters make a bit of a difference at the top.

For the latter case maybe subtrees as conditions would be more effective.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

ElvenMonk
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#5 » 26 Sep 2018, 06:41

Ok let's simplify. Comparing with constant is no different from comparing with counter value. Instead of number you will just see tag icon near comparison sign.

DjSapsan
Script
Script

Post#6 » 26 Sep 2018, 20:38

ElvenMonk
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#7 » 26 Sep 2018, 23:26

DjSapsan wrote:Already asked before viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1064&p=16854#p16854

This is exactly the level of complexity we would like to avoid.
Not to mention that timers are way more limiting than counters

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#8 » 27 Sep 2018, 17:49

I'm not sure yet of how high I'll set the priority of this but I like the idea of one feature solving several problems.

MrChris
Automaton
Automaton

Post#9 » 17 Oct 2018, 23:03

This would be a great feature.

The current binary counter that i've seen blockwurst use depends on the fact that a node isn't evaluated more than once. Relying on an implementation isn't great.
------------------------------------------------
My in-game name is MrChris

Creator of the unofficial Gladiabots stats page: https://gladiabots-stats.info.tm/mrchris
And the Gladiabots retreatment simulator: https://cmrichards.github.io/glad_simulation

mcompany
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#10 » 19 Nov 2018, 06:13

Now that we have this feature, I find it somewhat limitating that these are global only. Imo, it'll be great if they could be limited to individual objects to open up tagging to a lot more options

ElvenMonk
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#11 » 19 Nov 2018, 10:06

Mind the bot weight problem. With a lot of memory and complex CPU installed, bots will require additional cooling. That leads to increased size of brain modules, that require additional protection.

This makes bots heavy and slows them down.
The technology behind bots already made a significant step forward with Beta 3, that costed us limited AI storage capacity and bot CPU rate decreased to 800 nodes per second.

For same reason we don't have LiDAR sensor for precise distance/angle measurement. Neither we have compass to move with respect to arena borders. Nor capabilities to measure distances/evaluate current actions only against tagged objects. No ML module whatsoever.

mcompany
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#12 » 19 Nov 2018, 18:49

To be fair, it would still be much less heavy than just doing the same thing with traditional tags, so it'll definitely be a plus

Return to “Feature Requests”