Tag based filters

ElvenMonk
Neural Network
Neural Network

Tag based filters

Post#1 » 10 Sep 2018, 17:11

Preamble:
I see primary intention of tags as selection of groups of objects (or sometimes single objects)
I see usage of tags as binary digits (or for if/else relations between AI branches) as unintended.
People don't use tags in intended way because game limits tags intended usage.
People use tags inappropriately because game allows them to do so.
I'm not talking about team tags here.

So here are my alternative proposals how to support proper usage of tags:

Approach 1.
For each filter and selector allow to specify tags applied to group against which filter/selector is tested. E.g.
"Distance to resources tagged 1", "Closest enemy tagged 5", "Attacked by ally tagged 2". For simplicity only one tag can be specified.

Approach 2.
Add additional filters "distance to tagged", "tagged current action" and selectors "closest to/farthest from tagged"

And now proposal on how to prevent inappropriate usage:
- Reset tags state before each tick (only for personal tags). Reason: Team tags can replace tags to mark specific objects, but have almost no use for counting.

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Re: Tag based filters

Post#2 » 23 Nov 2018, 23:48

I'd like to see some UI examples for your first approach. Like how would you present it in the node editor and on the nodes themselves.

ElvenMonk
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#3 » 24 Nov 2018, 21:04

GFX47 wrote:I'd like to see some UI examples for your first approach. Like how would you present it in the node editor and on the nodes themselves.

Currently I think easiest way is to have separate node editor section, where you can configure tag for every possible target used by filters. It might look similar to favorite targets screen:
This configuration will apply to all filters within node, that are calculated againts specific target type.

On nodes, it might be represented as a "legend":
Node comment could use stars near target words ("Ally*", "Enemy*", "Resource*") with expanded desciption beneath.

ElvenMonk
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#4 » 29 Nov 2018, 23:22

An alternative would be separate a bit more generic filter. Something along this line:

And node can have same icons with selected target above or next to selected tag instead of question mark.

ElvenMonk
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#5 » 29 Nov 2018, 23:45

Or even easier. Allow each bot to have single selection slot the same way it has counters. And add action to put selected objects into this slot. (same as increasing/decreasing/setting counters with number of selected objects)

It will allow you to implement "distance to objects in selection slot" filter and selector, "objects in selection slot current action" filter and update "target current action" filter with 3 new values. For simplicity you can change names to "distance to ?" and "? current action".

If ability to validate cuurent action of bases/resources is a consern, then you can introduce separate slots for ally and enemy selection.

ElvenMonk
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#6 » 30 Nov 2018, 00:19

Well tags already work as selection slots, but having filters for every tag/team tag (or even their combinations) sounds really crazy to me. I'm already concerned with number of existing distance filters (for every target type).
Ok nevermind, I need to think a bit more about it. There has to be way to simplify node construction..

ElvenMonk
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#7 » 30 Nov 2018, 09:23

Ideally I would like to find solution capable to express something like
"full shield or (not empty shield and attacking enemy tagged A)"

Return to “Feature Requests”