Turning Speed

Barrin
Hello World
Hello World

Turning Speed

Post#1 » 29 Aug 2018, 16:10

I propose a new base stat for each bot: Turning Speed.

This idea is copied from StarCraft (1 & 2) units and is not something the average player knows about.***

What:
Turning Speed is the rate (degrees per second) at which a unit/bot rotates from left to right and right to left.

Why:
The primary aim of this stat is to increase the advantage of "surrounding" -- spreading out -- or forming a concave around your enemy. When what your bot is attacking moves out of range or dies, bots having a Turning Speed means your bots will switch targets faster than your opponent's if yours are surrounding theirs rather than vice versa. If you are surrounding your enemy, you essentially have greater firepower with a Turning Speed.

This also has the effect of slowing down a bot that can't decide what it wants to do or where it wants to go, which is probably a good thing as it promotes decisiveness.

Finally, this also has the unintended effect of making bots take slightly longer to run and will want to take the most efficient (straight) route away from its attackers even more. Players can adjust.

***I should emphasize that to achieve the previous effects, you really don't need to make the bots turn slowly. In StarCraft its so fast for common units that most players don't even know its happening. Turning very quickly is plenty, as long as it isn't instantaneous. Perhaps the Assault and Shotgun should turn quicker than the Sniper and Machine.

P.S. Oh yeah and I am aware that there tend to be larger forces in StarCraft which exacerbates this effect, but this is more than made up for by the sheer number of reengagements made by good bots in this game.

Barrin
Hello World
Hello World

Re: Turning Speed

Post#2 » 29 Aug 2018, 16:25

Now that I think about it, many StarCraft units also have acceleration and deceleration. Most could Turn while moving and some (mostly air units) could attack while decelerating.

I'm not sure what to do with this information but there it is.

DjSapsan
Script
Script

Post#3 » 25 Sep 2018, 21:48

Revenge
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#4 » 26 Sep 2018, 14:01

I don't see any programming advantage to adding turning. There are no surroundings to capitalize off of in gladiabots, and adding a new gimmick to turn bots makes no sense in a game where you cant choose which direction you face to attack the enemy bots.

All this would achieve is artificially slowing down the game, and adding a gimmick that players would have to work around, while limiting the number of viable strategies.

Gladiabots != Starcraft

Return to “Feature Requests”