Nodes to alleviate "boring" conditionals

Gilberreke
Hello World
Hello World

Nodes to alleviate "boring" conditionals

Post#1 » 16 Aug 2018, 16:28

There's a few places in the game where you tend to write very long conditionals, just to check a certain condition. Since these are not hard to write, just tedious and slow the game down, these might be prime candidates for a new node.

• Bot advantage
  • My score needed/Enemy score needed: how many resources do I still need to win the game? It's not hard to check how many resources there were at the start, it IS very tedious then calculating how many you still need (25 nodes or so with lots of connections?)

I might offer new ones of these when I come across them

Norljus
Algorithm
Algorithm

Re: Nodes to alleviate "boring" conditionals

Post#2 » 17 Aug 2018, 14:05

I agree that many things that are simple tactical concepts are way too tedious or even impossible to express. So +1.

ElvenMonk
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#3 » 17 Aug 2018, 19:04

+1
+1

Nullpersona
Script
Script

Post#4 » 18 Aug 2018, 05:32

I'm not sure if it made it over from the Discord, but I suggested Sub-AI output(s).
That would allow the generation and reuse of conditionals, with more versatility.
As it is now, tags can be used in a sub AI as couplers, performing the evaluation, then triggering an action, by using a specific tag or set of tags that correlate to the output of the conditional.
The reason I bring this up, is that making more nodes that are specific use is a potentially endlessly lacking pursuit.
Gilberreke wrote:I might offer new ones of these when I come across them

Gilberreke
Hello World
Hello World

Post#5 » 18 Aug 2018, 06:03

Can you keep separate suggestions to different threads? I'm not sure how those two are related. I do like the idea (though it sounds a bit tough to actually do in practice with the single pass node evaluation)

Nullpersona
Script
Script

Post#6 » 18 Aug 2018, 08:24

What you are suggesting is already possible, that is how they are related.
Nullpersona wrote:As it is now, tags can be used in a sub AI as couplers, performing the evaluation, then triggering an action, by using a specific tag or set of tags that correlate to the output of the conditional.

Counting and comparing only have to be designed once, then can be used as a sub AI node.
Many other conditions can be evaluated this way, and adding them all the the core game as individual nodes would be impossible.
Having output on sub ai would allow direct sub ai integration as custom conditions, including, but not limited to the operations you describe.
I'm not sure how single pass node evaluation would be problematic.
I may be misunderstanding your request, especially if you cannot see how the two are related.
That said, your thread, your call; this isn't a discussion as much as a ballot, I guess.
I'm new to these forums, and apologize for my undesired engagement.
/hijack
Last edited by Nullpersona on 20 Aug 2018, 09:04, edited 1 time in total.

ElvenMonk
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#7 » 18 Aug 2018, 21:37

Many other conditions can be evaluated this way, and adding them all the the core game as individual nodes would be impossible.

Not that many, and if most common use cases will be covered with built-in features, AIs will be more clear, people would use tags much less than now.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#8 » 19 Aug 2018, 01:31

Nullpersona. viewtopic.php?t=175
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Norljus
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#9 » 19 Aug 2018, 09:59

ElvenMonk wrote:

Not that many, and if most common use cases will be covered with built-in features, AIs will be more clear, people would use tags much less than now.
Last edited by Norljus on 21 Aug 2018, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.

Norljus
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#10 » 19 Aug 2018, 10:08

I really hope that one day the use of tags will be the exception. Especialy for counting. While it is true that you can reuse the design of certain tag patterns as someone mentioned you stil have to adapt them. And they just aren't self documenting.

Gilberreke
Hello World
Hello World

Post#11 » 20 Aug 2018, 04:43

Nullpersona, can you see why I asked not to talk about your suggestion in here? Now there is 5 replies to your post and none to the original simple 2 ideas. I still don't see how they are related (because they are both already possible? There's an entire category of feature requests already possible, like half of them).

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#12 » 21 Aug 2018, 09:34

Norljus wrote:I agree that many things that are simple tactical concepts are way too tedious or even impossible to express. So +1.

I agree and I'm working on designing new solutions but it will take time.

Norljus
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#13 » 21 Aug 2018, 18:10

GFX47 wrote:
Norljus wrote:I agree that many things that are simple tactical concepts are way too tedious or even impossible to express. So +1.

I agree and I'm working on designing new solutions but it will take time.

No rush. I understand that it's still in ea. I was just worried that a lot of the annoying stuff is there intentionaly. So I'm very glad to hear that.

Return to “Feature Requests”