Increase security to avoid copying the AI ​​of the opponent

Tortuga
Script
Script

Increase security to avoid copying the AI ​​of the opponent

Post#1 » 13 Mar 2018, 16:56

It would be very convenient to implement some type of code obfuscation to avoid cases of copying the opponent's AI

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Re: Increase security to avoid copying the AI ​​of the opponent

Post#2 » 13 Mar 2018, 17:32

It's not on the roadmap but a first version of it will be in Alpha 13.
If a player is exploiting this possibility, please report her, I'll ban her account.

Tortuga
Script
Script

Post#3 » 14 Mar 2018, 09:46

I suspect everyone, or at least all those who are in the Grandmaster League. It would be good that you ban to all they.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#4 » 14 Mar 2018, 12:30

What? You surely are joking.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Tortuga
Script
Script

Post#5 » 14 Mar 2018, 13:42

Yes, but it never hurts to get rid of competitors

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#6 » 14 Mar 2018, 13:51

I guess it will be boring, so it would hurt the fun.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Revenge
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#7 » 16 Mar 2018, 22:58

Tortuga wrote:I suspect everyone, or at least all those who are in the Grandmaster League. It would be good that you ban to all they.

Best joke I've heard all week! XD

Simply copying another players strategy or learning from the way another player used their bots does not warrant a ban. That's part of the game and learning experience.

To me it just seems a case of saltiness over a quickly evolving meta. If there is a problem of people's ais being able to be looked at by some type of third party software, then yeah there needs to be obscuration.

Ed-209
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#8 » 17 Mar 2018, 22:18

I was on Telegram a while back and found that several were talking about being able to see enemy ai. I pursued since I couldnøt and found that some of the players are decompiling the game and rewriting several lines of code which allow them to not only see but copy paste enemy ai. Watching to figure out strategy and learn from is fine, but blatantly viewing opponents ai that has not been published on forum is just wrong.

I admit that I have copied ai published here, used it to fight against in the sandbox so I could watch what was happening and how it worked. By doing that I could see merits and flaws and write my own ai better, but that was only with voluntarily published ai such as PEWs simple bot.

Revenge
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#9 » 18 Mar 2018, 08:17

I had no clue people were actually decompiling the code. That needs to be addressed somehow via an rc patch.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#10 » 18 Mar 2018, 09:51

Ed-209 wrote:I was on Telegram a while back and found that several were talking about being able to see enemy ai.

So far only 2 people (on telegram) were able to do this. hdeffo and sollniss. Hdeffo was more interested to find security problems, sollniss wanted just to see if it was possible.

Sollniss himself is the source we may suspect some players that may have copied others. He is too proud/self entitled to copy anything (at most he mocks the other AIs) and - as expected - he says that most of the AI are a mess to understand. One would come up with similar ideas faster if one sees the behavior of a bot rather than the source code.

You may have used simple bot, but believe me, if the AI posted here would have had 100+ nodes, no one would have used it as too complicated to understand. Maybe copying it "blind" and then quitting when it doesn't work anymore is possible (some did this with simple bot, even with such little amount of nodes!), but making it "yours" is difficult.

So personally I am interested to know if there would be someone able to mash together parts of AIs of different people and get a good result, rather than a broken monster.

I am against score modification (n1) or bot modifications (so far it never happened), but AI copying... if it is not 1:1 (I copy an entire ai and that's it) go for it. Actually I wouldn't mind to have the AIs in the open, where 1:1 copies (or even copies with more than 50% of the nodes of another AI) get banned, but mashed AIs are interesting as they may discover new potential.

Said that, the suspected copying player is not doing any better than most of other top10 players, so meh.

n1: see the elo drop here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1357 or here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=917

Return to “Feature Requests”