Page 1 of 1

In game backups/versions of AI

Posted: 11 Mar 2018, 23:12
by MrChris
It would be great if there were an easy way to backup AIs within the game and be able to restore any old version at will.

I think this would encourage more innovation/creativity as you wouldn't need to worry about trying things that might not work out.

Re: In game backups/versions of AI

Posted: 12 Mar 2018, 08:11
by TomCat
Yeah! And the bakup should be to the file and the file should be use some readable (editable) format, so I could write my AI in text like a normal human and not have to finish my life in the gui clicking death.

Re: In game backups/versions of AI

Posted: 12 Mar 2018, 15:36
by pier4r
TomCat wrote:Yeah! And the bakup should be to the file and the file should be use some readable (editable) format, so I could write my AI in text like a normal human and not have to finish my life in the gui clicking death.


We discussed this a lot. For simplicity is better to keep it gui only, otherwise the gap between top players and the rest just widens.

Anyway +1 on the backup, that as far as I know is already partially done as every match requires the upload of everything towards the server.

I'd also like to know the orphaned subtrees.

Re: In game backups/versions of AI

Posted: 13 Mar 2018, 16:05
by MrChris
Assuming that each game stores the full AI, perhaps a simpler and more effective alternative would be the ability to restore the AI of any previously deployed game? This could be activated by clicking on a button when watching a replay.

Re: In game backups/versions of AI

Posted: 13 Mar 2018, 17:30
by GFX47

Re: In game backups/versions of AI

Posted: 06 Sep 2018, 17:55
by Hairy Phil
When syncing my new desktop version to my existing Android version, I was terrified that I was going to click on the "keep local copy" button and thereby erase my existing AI. This would have been helpful for that. Also, my current AI is bad for reasons I have not diagnosed yet, and I would like the ability to go back to a previous version.

Re: In game backups/versions of AI

Posted: 26 Sep 2018, 16:24
by DjSapsan
+
I have more subtrees then nodes :)
Hard to backup

Re: In game backups/versions of AI

Posted: 26 Sep 2018, 17:04
by GFX47

Re: In game backups/versions of AI

Posted: 26 Sep 2018, 18:10
by DjSapsan

I know, but:
1) AI need to fiight a match just for simple backup
2) After loading every subtree will have long suffix "replayid/" . If I have 50 subtrees everything will be totally messed up. Rly hard to remove/rename suffix and not be confused with original subtrees

Re: In game backups/versions of AI

Posted: 26 Sep 2018, 18:55
by ElvenMonk
I believe now it's possible to rename folders. No?

Re: In game backups/versions of AI

Posted: 26 Sep 2018, 19:50
by pier4r
DjSapsan wrote:I know, but:
1) AI need to fiight a match just for simple backup
2) After loading every subtree will have long suffix "replayid/" . If I have 50 subtrees everything will be totally messed up. Rly hard to remove/rename suffix and not be confused with original subtrees


While I agree it is messy, it is magnitude better than before that there was no option. Give gfx a bit of time ( months), he will do it :)

Re: In game backups/versions of AI

Posted: 27 Sep 2018, 05:05
by Revenge
MrChris wrote:Assuming that each game stores the full AI, perhaps a simpler and more effective alternative would be the ability to restore the AI of any previously deployed game? This could be activated by clicking on a button when watching a replay.

Yeah, can we have this? Versioned ais would be so helpful.

Re: In game backups/versions of AI

Posted: 27 Sep 2018, 05:12
by ElvenMonk
So you asking for ability to copy folders?
Importing AI from replay should already be in place.