allow 1080P screenshots in this forum

Hairy Phil
Automaton
Automaton

allow 1080P screenshots in this forum

Post#1 » 01 Mar 2018, 01:42

Or have the forum automatically resize them. I don't want to install an image resizing app just to post here. Surely the majority of players are using a 1080P phone or monitor? My screenshots are 2MB in size.

mcompany
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Re: allow 1080P screenshots in this forum

Post#2 » 01 Mar 2018, 06:23

I mean, there's always uploading on imgur first

WASP103
Script
Script

Post#3 » 01 Mar 2018, 08:08

Tbh, uploading 2MB images to have them resized on a remote location, is an ecological nightmare. if you want QOL, why not build a quick batch resize script and just let it run over screens you wanna upload. Saves you manual labor and saves the internet some bandwidth for Pr0n. ;)

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#4 » 01 Mar 2018, 11:25

Hairy Phil wrote:Or have the forum automatically resize them. I don't want to install an image resizing app just to post here. Surely the majority of players are using a 1080P phone or monitor? My screenshots are 2MB in size.

Nope on my side. Being "lazy" is not a reason. Also you affect the bandwidth of everyone with your large screenshots.
And since GFX is solo , hosting the forum is also a cost (space, bugs, etc.)

Imgur is your friend, imgur since years is great (unless they decide to change policies tomorrow).

Also the imgur app is pretty slick on android and useful in general.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Hairy Phil
Automaton
Automaton

Post#5 » 01 Mar 2018, 13:23

Everyone's screenshots are 2MB, it's not just me, that's 1080P resolution, which is a standard phone screen, not something "large" or exotic.

On any other website I use that asks me to upload a photo, it will mention "that photo's too big, it will be resized to (whatever)" to save storage space on the server. That's totally fine.

If your objection is that the dev has to pay for 2MB of bandwidth for the upload, then the reason I'm uploading is because he's asked me to post a screenshot of a bug. I'm not uploading selfies for fun. This benefits him, and therefore benefits the product, and therefore benefits the other players.

It's disingenious to have an arbitrary, self-imposed barrier to reporting bugs.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#6 » 01 Mar 2018, 14:11

Hairy Phil wrote:Everyone's screenshots are 2MB, it's not just me, that's 1080P resolution, which is a standard phone screen, not something "large" or exotic.

What? "Everyone screenshots are 2MB". Nice viewpoint: "The world is like I say it is".

My phone screenshots are around 350 kb. The nvidia shield tablet uses around 450Kb.
There is no "arbitrary limit", as every limit or (no limit) is arbitrary.

What is the sense of the screenshot? To convey information readable by the viewer. Do you need a 1080P screenshot to read well? No.

For example.
The following attachment is 1024x740 pixel. Can you read it? Yes. Space used? 112 Kb.
If you are not used to phpBB attachments, here is how you see it properly: download/file.php?id=843

Last but not least. If every well known site for hosting pictures is saying "Too large", and they have million of users, there may be the chance that something is wrong with your approach.
I uploaded 5megapixel picture (way larger than 1080p) on imgur without problems. https://i.imgur.com/p5W2avg.jpg 4160 × 2340 pixels

By chance, the application that you are using to take screenshots is saving them in bmp or png? Because there is where your problem lies among other places.
Attachments
2018-03-01 14_07_04-Gladiabots Stats.png
2018-03-01 14_07_04-Gladiabots Stats.png (112.5 KiB) Viewed 383 times
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Hairy Phil
Automaton
Automaton

Post#7 » 01 Mar 2018, 16:10

pier4r, the screenshot that you have posted above is at 740P not 1080P and contains large blocks of solid colours that can be compressed very small, so it is not evidence that my filesizes are excessive. For reference, when I take the same leaderboard screenshot it is 0.4MB.

I have already agreed that there is no need to display 1080P screenshots and that they could be resized smaller. The bottleneck is uploading, which is not a problem at other sites.

I am using the stock Android 8 OS which takes screenshots in jpg format, therefore anyone using Android at 1080P will have the same filesize as me for the same image. Whilst the size will vary depending on the content, any Android screenshots featuring a typical scene of 8 bots on the arena grid will be roughly the same size because it's the same information on screen and the same compression algorithm. For the record, I run the game at one notch off maximum graphics quality, but anyone running at full quality would have even larger screenshots thanks to the increased antialiasing.

If you think that my device (Nexus 6P) is somehow an exception and different to yours, then please help make an accurate comparison by using Android to take an unedited 1080P screenshot at the start of a Random match, and tell us what size it is. Should be 1.5-2MB.

GFX47
Dev

Post#8 » 01 Mar 2018, 17:37

I increased the size limit to 5MB per attachment.

Image (this is an image from giphy.com)

Hairy Phil
Automaton
Automaton

Post#9 » 01 Mar 2018, 18:28

Thanks! :-)

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#10 » 01 Mar 2018, 22:00

Yup you are almost right. Found the screenshot of gladiabots (but I play with fastest settings).
Attachments
X-plore_20180301_215830.png
X-plore_20180301_215830.png (409 KiB) Viewed 351 times

Return to “Feature Requests”