Page 1 of 1

100% Snap-Based Grids

Posted: 21 Oct 2017, 05:00
by Revenge
The current ai system could be greatly improved, both in speed and organization by use of a snap-to-grid layout. This would allow: faster loading times for ai, smoother organization and editing, and a more sensible design.

Instead of Degree Angle lines, the lines would branch off of a horizontal line, similar to a tournament bracket: https://i.stack.imgur.com/i9NBh.png . It would also fix the current overlap problem (where nodes at the top left aren't necessarily evaluated before higher height nodes on the right).

Example of overlap issue:
failure2.png
failure2.png (1.07 MiB) Viewed 2455 times

Re: 100% Snap-Based Grids

Posted: 21 Oct 2017, 05:36
by mcompany
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=997
Can people make up their mind??????

Re: 100% Snap-Based Grids

Posted: 21 Oct 2017, 10:55
by Kanishka
OP, +1

I never liked the whole angle check thing in the first place :/

Re: 100% Snap-Based Grids

Posted: 21 Oct 2017, 12:02
by sollniss
Angle check is the most obvious and correct way to do it. Anything else is unintuitive bullshittery. If you place your nodes so lazy that the angles are wrong, that's a problem with you, not the game.

Also your tournamend-like grid would take much more the space, so no.

Re: 100% Snap-Based Grids

Posted: 21 Oct 2017, 12:17
by TheKidPunisher
It is rare but i tottally agree with sollniss here.

Re: 100% Snap-Based Grids

Posted: 21 Oct 2017, 14:12
by pier4r
angle check is more intuitive. We had reports about "but the angle!" several times in months.

For order: use connectors.

Re: 100% Snap-Based Grids

Posted: 21 Oct 2017, 14:38
by Revenge
pier4r wrote:angle check is more intuitive. We had reports about "but the angle!" several times in months.

For order: use connectors.

Okay, but even if you kept angle check exactly the way it is, and used connectors for order, nodes should still snap to certain positions. It would make editing so much faster.

Re: 100% Snap-Based Grids

Posted: 21 Oct 2017, 14:46
by Revenge
Actually, I'm going to remake topic.

Re: 100% Snap-Based Grids

Posted: 21 Oct 2017, 17:27
by mcompany
Me personally, I like left-to-right more. I feel like that was a bit easier for me to design around

Re: 100% Snap-Based Grids

Posted: 21 Oct 2017, 17:35
by Kanishka
mcompany wrote:Me personally, I like left-to-right more. I feel like that was a bit easier for me to design around


I'm with this guy.

Re: 100% Snap-Based Grids

Posted: 21 Oct 2017, 17:39
by Revenge
mcompany wrote:Me personally, I like left-to-right more. I feel like that was a bit easier for me to design around

I think both options have their flaws. My problem isn't with the order of how they are done, but with the lines. They shouldn't be angled lines, they should be completely horizontal then dip down when it reaches the node.
(Keep in mind you could still set each individual node to whatever height you want, it just would be like the letter "L" for the connecting lines.)
|------------------------------------|
_____
|Node|

Re: 100% Snap-Based Grids

Posted: 21 Oct 2017, 18:18
by LuBeNo
Revenge wrote:...but with the lines. They shouldn't be angled lines, they should be completely horizontal then dip down when it reaches the node.
(Keep in mind you could still set each individual node to whatever height you want, it just would be like the letter "L" for the connecting lines.)

Like this?

Code: Select all

-------------
| root node |
-------------
      └──────┬──────────┐
          --------   --------
          | node |   | node |
          --------   --------

I'm against it, links would overlap. IMO not a good idea.

Re: 100% Snap-Based Grids

Posted: 21 Oct 2017, 18:20
by Revenge
LuBeNo wrote:
Revenge wrote:...but with the lines. They shouldn't be angled lines, they should be completely horizontal then dip down when it reaches the node.
(Keep in mind you could still set each individual node to whatever height you want, it just would be like the letter "L" for the connecting lines.)

Like this?

Code: Select all

-------------
| root node |
-------------
      └──────┬──────────┐
          --------   --------
          | node |   | node |
          --------   --------

I'm against it, links would overlap. IMO not a good idea.


Yeah exactly like that! :O

Re: 100% Snap-Based Grids

Posted: 23 Oct 2017, 21:00
by G.M. [rogueleader]
mcompany wrote:Me personally, I like left-to-right more. I feel like that was a bit easier for me to design around

Same.

Re: 100% Snap-Based Grids

Posted: 04 Nov 2017, 03:56
by Kanishka
G.M. [rogueleader] wrote:
mcompany wrote:Me personally, I like left-to-right more. I feel like that was a bit easier for me to design around

Same.

Same.

Re: 100% Snap-Based Grids

Posted: 04 Nov 2017, 09:16
by LuBeNo
I think the angle approach is better, especially when stacking nodes above each other.

Re: 100% Snap-Based Grids

Posted: 04 Nov 2017, 17:27
by Revenge
LuBeNo wrote:I think the angle approach is better, especially when stacking nodes above each other.


It should still snap to a position. It would make things so much faster.

Re: 100% Snap-Based Grids

Posted: 04 Nov 2017, 18:38
by LuBeNo
Revenge wrote:It should still snap to a position. It would make things so much faster.

Am I missing something? Node snapping is implemented.

Re: 100% Snap-Based Grids

Posted: 04 Nov 2017, 18:49
by GFX47
LuBeNo wrote:
Revenge wrote:It should still snap to a position. It would make things so much faster.

Am I missing something? Node snapping is implemented.


Same here.

Re: 100% Snap-Based Grids

Posted: 04 Nov 2017, 20:34
by Revenge
GFX47 wrote:
LuBeNo wrote:
Revenge wrote:It should still snap to a position. It would make things so much faster.

Am I missing something? Node snapping is implemented.


Same here.


It's only partially implemented. It doesn't always snap, and is inconsistent when managing an ai quickly.