Private Chat Feature?

Revenge
Neural Network
Neural Network

Private Chat Feature?

Post#1 » 25 Sep 2017, 16:27

I feel like a private chat feature would greatly benefit the community, while making the game more engaging as a whole. Gladiabots has a great, fun community, and I enjoy playing against other players and seeing new forum posts.

Sadly this doesn't translate directly to the game, as there is no way to communicate in-game. I would be on(Gladiabots) almost every day if I could chat with other players about strategies, build friendships, and challenge myself by discussing Ai after a match.

I know there is a requested feature for "after-game" chat, but i didn't see anything for private chat. We have the ability to send players requests for private matches, so having a private chat option would be a very welcome addition.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Re: Private Chat Feature?

Post#2 » 25 Sep 2017, 17:21

note from me: more often than not games provide very limited chats (because a game focus on the game, not on the chat). It is not difficult to use existing programs optimize for chatting that are linked in the game.

See discord or telegram.

there, especially on telegram, there is every day banter and exchange of ideas.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

Revenge
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#3 » 26 Sep 2017, 03:50

pier4r wrote:note from me: more often than not games provide very limited chats (because a game focus on the game, not on the chat). It is not difficult to use existing programs optimize for chatting that are linked in the game.

See discord or telegram.

there, especially on telegram, there is every day banter and exchange of ideas.

I already know of discord, and use it frequently. But it's not the same as being able to chat immediately before or after a match with a person. I shouldn't have to rely on an external program just to talk in-game.

As for PC/Phone games that use chats: Most mmorpgs, fps, guild/clan app, moba games, google play apps use a chat feature. Simply saying it "takes away the focus of the game" is not a good reason. What's to take away?

People could discuss problems they find, and share strategies. It would help evolve the game more, and prevent it from becoming stale. I'm not even suggesting anything advanced like chat-rooms to talk in(though that would be cool...). I'm simply suggesting that we have a private chat option.

mcompany
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#4 » 26 Sep 2017, 05:16

1. Most players actually discussing strategy and stuff like that mostly have been known to use outside programs anyways. That's the whole reason why IRC used to be so popular and why discord was even created. Even the games that do have chats that people rely on in-game, they usually are either basically forums, or they only pertain to the one game they are in the middle of playing.
2. Pretty much all of those genres (especially fps, mmorpgs, and mobas) are pretty much strictly real time. Unlike them, gladiabots is asynchronous. Sometimes, I can deploy a match that doesn't get joined until after 2 hours later. Being able to chat immediately doesn't sound like something that could happen often in this type of games
3. I'd rather if gfx worked on the actual game on stuff like giving the bots more reliable information and adding in random maps (even if I think his way of implementation of random maps is silly at best) than spending some time implementing a chat feature. While the discord chat hasn't been the most active, people still can respond often on it, and the the chat on telegram is definitely extremely active.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#5 » 26 Sep 2017, 08:08

I lend my assault bot to mcompany as support.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

ShoddyBotter
Hello World
Hello World

Post#6 » 26 Sep 2017, 08:18

mcompany wrote:1. Most players actually discussing strategy and stuff like that mostly have been known to use outside programs anyways. That's the whole reason why IRC used to be so popular and why discord was even created. Even the games that do have chats that people rely on in-game, they usually are either basically forums, or they only pertain to the one game they are in the middle of playing.
2. Pretty much all of those genres (especially fps, mmorpgs, and mobas) are pretty much strictly real time. Unlike them, gladiabots is asynchronous. Sometimes, I can deploy a match that doesn't get joined until after 2 hours later. Being able to chat immediately doesn't sound like something that could happen often in this type of games
3. I'd rather if gfx worked on the actual game on stuff like giving the bots more reliable information and adding in random maps (even if I think his way of implementation of random maps is silly at best) than spending some time implementing a chat feature. While the discord chat hasn't been the most active, people still can respond often on it, and the the chat on telegram is definitely extremely active.

Agree.
The feature in talking is one that I thought missing myself and the lack of the feature was the only reason that I joined the forum in the first place.

However, implementing such a small feature can have a pretty huge negative impact on the game.
:evil: Banning Spambots is discrimination! :evil:

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#7 » 26 Sep 2017, 10:41

ShoddyBotter wrote:implementing such a small feature

It's all but a small feature...
It can be a huge amount of work to do it right and given the asynchronous aspect of the multiplayer, it indeed doesn't make much sense to be implemented.

Chilio
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#8 » 27 Sep 2017, 09:57

Something I'd like to see implemented is an option to send 1 string to the other player, just to give him some feedback on how he played. (Don't know if the development time for that would be huge though...)

Sometimes you just see a bug in someone others bots, you fixed after a long time searching, and it's nice to help people for things like that.

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#9 » 27 Sep 2017, 17:49

The problem with free text will be that it will be used to insult the other player most of the time.
That's why clash of clans uses predefined messages

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#10 » 27 Sep 2017, 17:52

GFX47 wrote:The problem with free text will be that it will be used to insult the other player most of the time.
That's why clash of clans uses predefined messages

Beep wrong Clash of Clans is free text, Clash Royale is free text...

Just the messages during a Royale match are presets (since hey ya can't type in such a fast-paced match)
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat

My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

TheKidPunisher
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#11 » 27 Sep 2017, 18:11

GFX47 wrote:The problem with free text will be that it will be used to insult the other player most of the time

+1

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#12 » 27 Sep 2017, 18:26

[quote="Kanishka"Just the messages during a Royale match are presets (since hey ya can't type in such a fast-paced match)[/quote]

That's what I was thinking about.

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#13 » 27 Sep 2017, 19:02

GFX47 wrote:
Kanishka wrote:Just the messages during a Royale match are presets (since hey ya can't type in such a fast-paced match)

That's what I was thinking about.

IMO I'd rather not have messages. Just give us the Dialogue Snippets action node (I requested earlier) with an option to mute or something... Nothing is worse than being stuck with presents. Also, I'm not exactly "+1" to the chatroom idea... Not useful in asynchronous multiplayer. I just want to say "MWAHAHAHA" from my SG when it hugs the enemy Sniper (citation: I'd like the very old request of touching/on/near conditions).
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat

My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

Return to “Feature Requests”