Please revert back to map randomization

Revenge
Neural Network
Neural Network

Please revert back to map randomization

Post#1 » 18 Dec 2017, 17:19

The way map selection works now is lacking the variety and excitement that is used to hold. On top of being excessively boring, players can actually cheat the system now. With the way map selection currently is, players can play 1 or 2 days per week, and ONLY play on the days which feature the maps they are good at.

This is counter-intuitive, as it decreases player activity as a whole, and makes the leaderboard unrepresentative of the actual playerbase. If I'm at 1500 rank, and someone who is also at 1500 rank plays only 2 specific maps, i may never even encounter that player, especially now that players have the ability to avoid certain maps.

Being only able to play one map a day, feels very lackluster and dissapointing too. There is such a wide variety of fun maps to try, and instead of being able to play them all, I have to settle for only one map, likely against the same opponents. Please consider going back to the previous way, as the daily map way is unfun, encourages people to play less, and allows players to cheat the system. Thank you for reading.

MrChris
Automaton
Automaton

Re: Please revert back to map randomization

Post#2 » 19 Dec 2017, 01:04

I wholeheartedly agree
------------------------------------------------
My in-game name is MrChris

Creator of the unofficial Gladiabots stats page: https://gladiabots-stats.info.tm/mrchris
And the Gladiabots retreatment simulator: https://cmrichards.github.io/glad_simulation

Revenge
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#3 » 21 Dec 2017, 03:52

Decline in player activity coincidentally in time removal of map randomization: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=493&start=100

mcompany
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#4 » 21 Dec 2017, 08:57

I +1 this, and let me link to the same things said before this as my reasoning why viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1185&start=20#p14570

GFX47
Dev Team

Post#5 » 22 Dec 2017, 09:06

I'll make an in-game poll for that today.

Revenge wrote:Decline in player activity coincidentally in time removal of map randomization: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=493&start=100

Not related, new players mostly don't even try multiplayer anymore.
I thought it was because of the new solo content but they barely try it either.

mcompany
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#6 » 22 Dec 2017, 18:17

The thing is, it isn't just new players dropping though. The numbers of players in basically every league is dropping, and I don't think the map of the day feature has been very well liked

GFX47
Dev Team

Post#7 » 24 Dec 2017, 09:28

Results of the in-game poll about daily map rotation for ranked matches (asked to active players who had at least 10 multiplayer matches):
I like it: 29 (40%)
I don't care: 17 (23%)
I'd prefer more maps: 27 (37%)

So I guess it's not such a terrible idea after all?

LuBeNo
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#8 » 24 Dec 2017, 12:54

IMO we need random maps as soon as possible.

I would prefer a random map a game, but I think a random map a day would also fit.
My algorithm of life: if(self.tired) sleep(); else if(self.hungry) eat(); else follow(Jesus);

LuBeNo
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#9 » 24 Dec 2017, 12:55

GFX47 wrote:asked to active players who had at least 10 multiplayer matches

Perhaps others stopped playing. :?
My algorithm of life: if(self.tired) sleep(); else if(self.hungry) eat(); else follow(Jesus);

Revenge
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#10 » 24 Dec 2017, 14:46

GFX47 wrote:Results of the in-game poll about daily map rotation for ranked matches (asked to active players who had at least 10 multiplayer matches):

71 players dropped the game over the 2 weeks after daily maps became a thing. I think the majority of those players would have voted map randomization. Also the question is phrased poorly. It should say random daily maps, not more maps. And the first option should be one map per day, not I like it.

Even with a poorly phrased question 60% of the remaining community doesn't fully support the change. And more players keep leaving each day. Do what you want but it's frustrating for me that this still hasn't been reverted (to map randomization). It's at the point where even I am not sure I want to keep playing if maps aren't random, and I love this game.

mcompany
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#11 » 24 Dec 2017, 19:16

GFX47 wrote:Results of the in-game poll about daily map rotation for ranked matches (asked to active players who had at least 10 multiplayer matches):

Out of everyone who voted, a total of 73 even voted in the first place. The number of those in favor vs the number of those against only has a difference of 2 players, and pretty much all leagues are becoming more and more barren (including silver, which imo shouldn't happen and can't be shrugged off with excuses of the campaign, and grand master, which was stable with around 15 players for a long time).

I don't know how telling your poll is of the full community

mcompany
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#12 » 24 Dec 2017, 20:17

(Sorry to double post)
How many of each group of players played for at least 3 games each day for 7 days (doesn't have to be consecutive) since the map of the day was started?

Revenge
Neural Network
Neural Network

Post#13 » 25 Dec 2017, 19:53

It was a terrible idea. So many players dropped the game as soon as it was introduced.

the dropoff 2.PNG
the dropoff 2.PNG (4.8 KiB) Viewed 794 times

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#14 » 04 Jan 2018, 19:01

Revenge wrote:

It was a terrible idea. So many players dropped the game as soon as it was introduced.

the dropoff 2.PNG

Funny, Dr D should have seen that through the Play Console.
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat

My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

Ed-209
Script
Script

Post#15 » 04 Jan 2018, 21:54

I thought map randomization and the single map per day was supposed to support generic ai. As it is currently this is promoting map specific ai. Play one match and spend time specializing. I may be losing on Mind Game, but I keep trying because I used to win on it the majority of the time. This trend keeps up though, and I will also be one who will lurk in the background waiting to see if full game will be worth supporting when it is released. Yes, if I like where it ends up I would pay again for the full game.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#16 » 05 Jan 2018, 11:46

Ha! I knew that polls in game would help! But yes I agree with the others. Having a random map per day is a thing, having a map that will show up again in a week for an entire day, is another. Surely there are pro and cons.

Pro is that one can fix mistakes on a map pretty neatly, cons is that if one is not willing to fix mistakes and gets beaten (due to low players count), then one simply does not play.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

mcompany
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#17 » 06 Jan 2018, 21:41

I feel like my questions on this was never answered. I feel like doing a poll on your community would need details of what your community is, so I think it is necessary to give more details of the demographics of these results to have any meaning

GFX47
Dev Team

Post#18 » 06 Jan 2018, 22:37

Polls are anonymous so I don't have informations about who replied what.

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#19 » 12 Jan 2018, 17:21

OK, first hand experience... Me and IRRbert, me triggering his redeploy and just iterating against him on seven wonders, at 6 fps... Just give me procedurally generated Maps already. Thanks.
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat

My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

GFX47
Dev Team

Post#20 » 25 Jan 2018, 08:07

I disabled daily maps until Alpha 12.

Return to “Requests”